Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A major factor in anti-teacher sentiment.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

I feel I must have suffered a blackout. I did my LC in 2004 but don't recall any strike days! I went on to do primary teaching so can't have affected me that much!

Many parents take their children out for a week or more to go on holidays ( cheaper during term time) so if teachers strike for a few days, it doesn't have much of an overall effect.
    Then, presumably, you were only in second year at the time of the strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭doc_17

So anyway, snow. That'll be our fault too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

km79 wrote: »
    for the very first time on boards I put someone on ignore. just do it. the less people that interact the better

I think i'll be joining you. Sick of the level of tolerence to this regular trolling of T&L. Seems like the trolls are untouchable on this forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

endakenny wrote: »
    The TUI represents most of the teaching staff in second-level and thrird-level educational institutions that are under State authority (as opposed to the voluntary secondary schools). Furthermore, I'm aware that some community and comprehensive teachers are ASTI members.

I do know that. That is not the point I was making.

doc_17 wrote: »
    So anyway,snow. That'll be our fault too.
    Did I say that?!

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    It's very interesting that someone who is anti-teacher starts up a thread about the anti-teacher sentiment. I think therapy would be a better way to get it off their chest.
    The best way to fight prejudice is to investigate the causes of it.

katydid wrote: »
    I do know that. That is not the point I was making.
    OK, back to your point: surely, lecturers in ITs who are union members can only be members of the TUI. Furthermore, as for ITs "only involving themselves in their own issues", benchmarking was an issue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

OP you don't seem to care that you're antagonising many here whose actual bread and butter is actually teaching.

I used to feel more tolerably disposed towards you until you informed us on this very thead that you were only doing your JC during the 2000/2001 strikes, which makes you a very young person and not some OAP filling up the days.

Which begs the question,why is a young person like yourself so fascinated by a profession which you are not part of and its conditions of employment?

Any chance at all you might actually answer that question?

acequion wrote: »
    OP you don't seem to care that you're antagonising many here whose actual bread and butter is actually teaching.

I used to feel more tolerably disposed towards you until you informed us on this very thead that you were only doing your JC during the 2000/2001 strikes, which makes you a very young person and not some OAP filling up the days.

Which begs the question,why is a young person like yourself so fascinated by a profession which you are not part of and its conditions of employment?

Any chance at all you might actually answer that question?

My only intention is to examine what causes anti-teacher sentiment. I would have thought that teachers would also be interested in that. It's not my intention to antagonise anyone.

If you must know, I have been suffering from depression for the past few years. I considered a career in secondary teaching but I left the UCD Arts degree course after a few weeks because I couldn't cope.

My only intention is to examine what causes anti-teacher sentiment. I would have thought that teachers would also be interested in that. It's not my intention to antagonise anyone.

If you must know, I have been suffering from depression for the past few years. I considered a career in secondary teaching but I left the UCD Arts degree course after a few weeks because I couldn't cope.

Fair enough and thanks for answering with honesty. But you must realise that you are annoying people. These are sensitive times for teachers and feeling that we are constantly under the microscope and often under attack, is difficult for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I personally don't care why they don't like us. It has been like that for the last 30 years and it's such a large vocal portion why worry about them. Most of the idiots that can't debate an issue with you are not worth wasting energy on so as a result I really don't care whether or not the public like is or not.
    I for one , in this current industrial action, am protesting for all the right reasons. The kids future. I don't, have never done or have no future intention of correcting state exams so I won't be losing out on any current wages.
    If people agree or disagree With my stance that's their business it won't alter my view on the issue. So basically I dont care if the public don't like us. I know in my staff room the feeling would he broadly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭doc_17

Examine what causes your anti teacher sentiment and you have your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The TUI represents most of the teaching staff in second-level and thrird-level educational institutions that are under State authority (as opposed to the voluntary secondary schools). Furthermore, I'm aware that some community and comprehensive teachers are ASTI members.
    Source please.

RealJohn wrote: »
    Source please.
    I don't know of any union other than the TUI that represents lecturers in Institutes of Technology. There's hardly a need to provide a source for a well-known fact.

I don't know of any union other than the TUI that represents lecturers in Institutes of Technology. There's hardly a need to provide a source for a well-known fact.
    Yes there is. What you purport to know and the reality of the situation tend to have little in common from what I've seen.
    Source please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm sorry you have suffered with mental health issues. But yet, you couldn't hack life in college and go on to become a teacher -if that is what you had planned and then troll here. Thinking I'll be pressing the ignore button too.

RealJohn wrote: »
    Yes there is. What you purport to know and the reality of the situation tend to have little in common from what I've seen.
    Source please.
    http://www.tui.ie/about-tui.86.html
    The Teachers' Union of Ireland is a Trade Union organising teachers and lecturers in Ireland engaged in post-primary, higher and further education. TUI represents over 14,500 members at second and third level in the education service. The Union is made up of 62 Branches in 19 Areas.
    TUI is a unified and democratic body but one with a very diverse membership. TUI members are to be found in Vocational Schools, Community Colleges, Comprehensive and Community Schools at second level. TUI members also form the largest single body of third level lecturers in Ireland working in Institutes of Technology and third level institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Then, presumably, you were only in second year at the time of the strikes.

And? What's your point?

And? What's your point?
    Well, you said that you had no recollection of the strikes of 2000. Given that you were not in an exam year at the time, you probably didn't give them much thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Well, you said that you had no recollection of the strikes of 2000. Given that you were not in an exam year at the time, you probably didn't give them much thought.

I probably didn't give them much thought, because they didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Half the time students don't want to be in the class anyway & act up/don't pay attention etc. I always find it quite ironic when there's uproar over a strike day or two! (Even 15 years on!!! :D)

• Advertisement

seavill wrote: »
    I personally don't care why they don't like us. It has been like that for the last 30 years and it's such a large vocal portion why worry about them. Most of the idiots that can't debate an issue with you are not worth wasting energy on so as a result I really don't care whether or not the public like is or not.
    I for one , in this current industrial action, am protesting for all the right reasons. The kids future. I don't, have never done or have no future intention of correcting state exams so I won't be losing out on any current wages.
    If people agree or disagree With my stance that's their business it won't alter my view on the issue. So basically I dont care if the public don't like us. I know in my staff room the feeling would he broadly the same

I completely agree with seavill here. I know this may sound arrogant but I will not stoop to argue with idiots! As the saying goes,"If you argue with an idiot,what does that make you?" And those who rant about teachers having this great life with great holidays and "gold,plated pensions" are idiots. Simple as. You'd have to be extremely ignorant to think that teaching teenagers in today's world,with today's pressures is an easy job. And extremely ill informed not to realise that teachers' pay and conditions have significantly deteriorated.

It is also extremely crass to pillory any group in society. In fact pillorying a group who are not underprivileged is another form of prejudice. It is now [perfectly rightly] considered unacceptable to express prejudicial views about vulnerable groups,who in the past were scapegoated. So,as nature abhors a vacuum,the replacements are those considered privileged, such as teachers. But it's still very wrong and very ignorant.

Unfortunately, there are a great many such ignorant people out there whose opinion of teachers is hardly worth a mention. Yet a lot of people who should have more sense do worry about it. And our employers know it and play on it.

I'm a TUI member. I'm familiar with the website. This does not (fully) back up what you said. Did you have a source or were you just assuming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thread temporarily down due to line maintenance.

MOD:

I'm sorry you have suffered with mental health issues. But yet, you couldn't hack life in college and go on to become a teacher -if that is what you had planned and then troll here. Thinking I'll be pressing the ignore button too.

Member has been infracted.
    If theres a claim of trolling then report it referring to the offending post.
    mod

I think i'll be joining you. Sick of the level of tolerence to this regular trolling of T&L. Seems like the trolls are untouchable on this forum.

member infracted. Same reason as post above.
    mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement