Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Jukebox

Options
  • 25-06-2011 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Im currently designing my garage conversion which will eventually be a games room. I want to have a touchscreen mp3 player of sorts hooked up to few speakers in the room, like a pub jukebox i suppose, can these be purchased at a decent price for HE or are they more for pubs. Would a cheap tablet PC with iTunes be any use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,831 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could get an iPod Touch and a sound system with built in dock like the B&W Zeplin or Klipsch iGroove. The touch might be overkill so you could just get a nano. Which is still touch screen but a bit too small IMO.

From there you can go to mini hi-fi's which have inbuilt docks or just an aux input allowing you to connect a touch via the headphone output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

the Nano would be a bit on the small side alright, would end up being very flimsy, for the price of the iPod Touch i could get a Tablet PC would this be a better or worse alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

sonos system

sonos system

is the sonos system not more designed for multi room music, i only want it for this one particular room

actually just watched the demo video on their website, that looks the business

• Advertisement

actually just watched the demo video on their website, that looks the business

I have it in 4 rooms in the house. Class piece of kit... Even a new piece out now with receiver and speaker all in one...great app for the iPhone/touch for it too

im new to the whole sonos thing what do you mean by a new piece with receiver and speaker all in one, what went before?

wheres the best place to buy the system, iv been searching the web all evening and richersounds seem to be the best, anyone else seen better?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,831 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So on top of the £348 for the Sonos S5 speaker/amp/receiver gadget, you also need a SONOS ZonePlayer 90 for £379 connected to the router. But how do you control the music in the one room where you want it?

Then you need an iphone, iTouch or Sonos controller for another £278.?

So that's £1005 or €1,129 to get a bit of music in the one room? Admittedly I am no Sonos expert, just had a quick look at their site and that's my impression of the bits required to make it work, forgive me if I misunderstood something.

iPod touch £155. B&W Zeplin £447 - that's €676 for a system that sounds and looks a lot better than the Sonos system.

Personally, I would probably get a Klipsch iGroove myself, even though I have 3 pairs of B&W speakers around the place. So that would be £69 for €253 in total

All prices Amazon.

if i was to go the sonos route i would end up doing the multi room but they are pretty expensive, i know i could use the android app and save a few hundred from not having to buy the sonos remote, are the speakers themselves worth the investment as opposed to the technology they use

ok i'll try and keep this as simple as i can
    zp120 is amplied so it runs the speakers itself
    zp90 is none amplified so it needs a source

i have two zp120's which will each power 4 seperate speakers.i have fairly run of the mill ceiling speakers in the bathroom and main bedroom running off i unit
    i have 4 monitor speakers running off another in the living room kitchen
    i have 1 zp90 which i have connected into my home cinema system(serious whack off it)
    as your converting your garage easy to install ceiling speakers during the conversion
    i'd definatly forget the controller as th apps are way better
    youy have full internet radio
    you must have broadband however
    it is a bit costly but worth every penny in my opinion as you can expand to the whole house if you wanted
    i did a lot of research into mine and am very happy with mine
    im down in wicklow and your more than welcome to pop down and have a look at mine if you want to check it out for yourself
    there was a guy on here called homer who was supplying them although i bought mine off the internet

• Advertisement

ok i'll try and keep this as simple as i can
    zp120 is amplied so it runs the speakers itself
    zp90 is none amplified so it needs a source

i have two zp120's which will each power 4 seperate speakers.i have fairly run of the mill ceiling speakers in the bathroom and main bedroom running off i unit
    i have 4 monitor speakers running off another in the living room kitchen
    i have 1 zp90 which i have connected into my home cinema system(serious whack off it)
    as your converting your garage easy to install ceiling speakers during the conversion
    i'd definatly forget the controller as th apps are way better
    youy have full internet radio
    you must have broadband however
    it is a bit costly but worth every penny in my opinion as you can expand to the whole house if you wanted
    i did a lot of research into mine and am very happy with mine
    im down in wicklow and your more than welcome to pop down and have a look at mine if you want to check it out for yourself
    there was a guy on here called homer who was supplying them although i bought mine off the internet

iv been looking all over the net the last couple of days getting as many opinions of the sonos as i can and the majority seem to like them, they look very impressive from what iv seen, id be looking at the 120 for the garage and then maybe a couple of s5's for other rooms, what is the sound like from the s5, would you want to be an audiophile to notice the difference between the sonos and their competitors,
    the internet radio is also a big bonus and i certainly wont be blowing any cash on the controller if i can use the phone app

what site did you buy yours off of iv trawled google.ie and .co.uk and richer sounds seem to be the best as far as i can see

to be honest i havent used the s5's so cant comment but like i said my ceiling speakers are nothing special but are more than capable..the s5 looks the part though
    as for audiophiles ...there is certainly better options out there if you have the bank balance and you would need a big one with some. but i would recommend going for the best speakers your budget allows.i can take a few pics of my set up if you want to give you and idea...send me your email

cant remember the site i'll go looking now for you

i think im sold on the sonos, looked at the electricshopping website but richer sounds is that small bit cheaper, bank balance isnt gonna know what hit it:D

i think im sold on the sonos, looked at the electricshopping website but richer sounds is that small bit cheaper, bank balance isnt gonna know what hit it:D

Yeah richersounds weren't doing them at the time , to be honest I think electricshopping site has gone up in price.. I don't think I paid that
    Offer still stands if you want try mine before you buy

cheers man but i think il just take the plunge!!

Advertisement