Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Teaching job after 6 months

Options
  • 29-01-2015 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm came home from the UK in the summer after teaching science there for almost 3 years. I have really good references and I'm registered with the teaching council. I've applied to for many jobs and have never got an interview and rarely even get a rejection letter. I have only got 5 days subbing since September also.

Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong or what I can do? I'm thinking of going to my local schools and asking them if I can observe some science lessons because I'm not familiar with the Irish curriculum and think this may be why I'm not getting an job offers. Also, I was thinking of asking if they need help with students who need 1-2-1 help with science . Is this a good idea? Or is there something else I could/should be doing?

I need to get a job soon or I'm going to go mental! Any and All information as to how I can get a job, or even my foot in the door, would be GREATLY appreciated
    x
    Q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

What subject(s) are you registered to teach with the teaching council?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 quinn1

Biology and Science, are there too many Bio and Science teachers?

The sad reality is that the are too many of every teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Where are u based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pickyour

TheDriver wrote: »
    Where are u based?

OP = Do not give personal details out on boards. I would not answer that question.

Have you send your CV out to every school where you are based in or around a 40-50 mile radius

Have you registered your details with the various teacher centers they often have lists of subs that schools use.

Is your CV and cover letter as perfect as it could be?

I would advise not to observe classes-Teachers would not appreciate it and most principals wouldn't allow it. I would strongly advise not to go down that line.

You seem a bit desperate- don't be and remember to look after your mental health- that is the most important thing-

You say you have had nothing in 6 months> are you working at anything else at the moment if not maybe you should try to get some other form of employment.

If you believe you are doing everything reasonable to get a teaching job and you still have not then don't be to hard on your self you are doing your best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

My principal would be fine with it if someone wanted to observe. They wouldn't use someone for free lessons 1-2-1 etc but if a qualified vetted teacher wanted to observe they would be ok with it.

I think you are speaking for yourself there and not teachers everywhere that should really be clarified

I certainly would have no problem with someone coming in to get a feel of the irish curriculum if they had worked abroad and it was to help them to get a job. I'm not saying what I do is perfect or anything but anything they misunderstood Etc. could be cleared up

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pickyour

seavill wrote: »
    My principal would be fine with it if someone wanted to observe. They wouldn't use someone for free lessons 1-2-1 etc but if a qualified vetted teacher wanted to observe they would be ok with it.

I think you are speaking for yourself there and not teachers everywhere that should really be clarified

I certainly would have no problem with someone coming in to get a feel of the irish curriculum if they had worked abroad and it was to help them to get a job. I'm not saying what I do is perfect or anything but anything they misunderstood Etc. could be cleared up

Would a few observations really be that helpful with understanding the curriculum, I am wondering if some kind of jobs bridge scheme would be a good idea in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

pickyour wrote: »

I would advise not to observe classes-Teachers would not appreciate it and most principals wouldn't allow it. I would strongly advise not to go down that road

I won't have a problem with someone shadowing a class so they reacquaint themselves with the irish curriculum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Would a few observations really be that helpful with understanding the curriculum, I am wondering if some kind of jobs bridge scheme would be a good idea in this case

It would be more of a chance to ask questions of the teachers than necessarily learning too much about the curriculum I suppose. But you would definitely learn from it. Get a chance to see irish schools in action there would be differences Id presume to how english schools work.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

, I am wondering if some kind of jobs bridge scheme would be a good idea in this case

I don't think there is any case where "jobs bridge" should be suggested/promoted for qualified teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

quinn1 wrote: »
    Biology and Science, are there too many Bio and Science teachers?

Yes there are. And most posts advertised would require maths in combination.

Have you registered your details with the various teacher centers they often have lists of subs that schools use.

I don't know what teacher centers are or where they are. What is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Every area has one. Most counties anyway. Eg Blackrock ed centre, Navan Ed Centre. Google your local one.

Every area has one. Most counties anyway. Eg Blackrock ed centre, Navan Ed Centre. Google your local one.

Do they have subbing lists for second level? Only ever heard of it at primary. Something to look into though.

Unfortunately NAPD are pushing that new subbing system you have to pay for. Maybe you could check that out OP. Most people I know started out (in the last 10 years anyway) subbing in a large school by coming in every morning and sitting in the staff room hoping to be needed. Many large schools have this arrangement with a couple of subs. They usually pick up a few bits and pieces as the year goes on though as well as last minute cover. It's a big time commitment and means there's little chance of other work though. I'd start working on getting qualified in another subject immediately too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do they have subbing lists for second level? Only ever heard of it at primary. Something to look into though.

Unfortunately NAPD are pushing that new subbing system you have to pay for. Maybe you could check that out OP. Most people I know started out (in the last 10 years anyway) subbing in a large school by coming in every morning and sitting in the staff room hoping to be needed. Many large schools have this arrangement with a couple of subs. They usually pick up a few bits and pieces as the year goes on though as well as last minute cover. It's a big time commitment and means there's little chance of other work though. I'd start working on getting qualified in another subject immediately too.

I'd imagine there's very little casual subbing on the ground now because of all teachers having to do S&S hours. We haven't had a casual sub in all year, only a sub in for a teacher who was going to be out for a few weeks.

Also I'd say the whole landing into a school and hanging around the staffroom is very much down to the school. Some schools would not welcome a randomer hanging around their staff room that does not work there. I'd say keeping looking but be open to doing non teaching work. There isn't much teaching work around generally.

I'd imagine there's very little casual subbing on the ground now because of all teachers having to do S&S hours. We haven't had a casual sub in all year, only a sub in for a teacher who was going to be out for a few weeks.

Also I'd say the whole landing into a school and hanging around the staffroom is very much down to the school. Some schools would not welcome a randomer hanging around their staff room that does not work there. I'd say keeping looking but be open to doing non teaching work. There isn't much teaching work around generally.

Obviously coming into a school would have to be with prior agreement of the school! I'm not suggesting just showing up unannounced! Most of the schools in my locality have at least one person on this arrangement.

Casual subbing has definitely been reduced dramatically with the new S&S. The only teachers getting any subbing in my whole ETB are those on this arrangement though. They are filling sick leaves and maternity leaves from this pool too. It's a very tough situation to be in, but I'm just letting OP know that some schools use this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

No Teaching job after 6 months
    Yes there are. And most posts advertised would require maths in combination.

OP, I think it might be worth your while looking into a maths qualification with your science one. I know several sciences teachers who are currently doing a free maths course from UL (but I think it's actually on in UCD - not sure) to get Teaching Council recognition to be able to teach Maths. If this is common - as the above post indicates - you will be at a disadvantage without that Maths qualification.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    OP, I think it might be worth your while looking into a maths qualification with your science one. I know several sciences teachers who are currently doing a free maths course from UL (but I think it's actually on in UCD - not sure) to get Teaching Council recognition to be able to teach Maths. If this is common - as the above post indicates - you will be at a disadvantage without that Maths qualification.

You need to be already teaching maths in order to be eligible to do that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

TheBody wrote: »
    You need to be already teaching maths in order to be eligible to do that course.

I know several teachers doing that maths course in WIT that aren't presently teaching maths.

I've heard that this year is the last year where that maths course is free but I'm not 100% on that.

gavwaldo wrote: »
    I know several teachers doing that maths course in WIT that aren't presently teaching maths.

I've heard that this year is the last year where that maths course is free but I'm not 100% on that.

Are they teaching though? They might have got a principal to sign off to say they were teaching maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Are they teaching though? They might have got a principal to sign off to say they were teaching maths.

Yup, they're teaching so they could've been signed off as teaching maths i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

or teaching resource/maths etc

what are S&S hours and why do all teachers have to do them?

BTW, thanks to everyone who replied, I very much appreciated all this information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

what are S&S hours and why do all teachers have to do them?

BTW, thanks to everyone who replied, I very much appreciated all this information

S&S is Supervision and Substitution. This is yard supervision and class supervision for absent colleagues. It used to be optional but the Haddington Road agreement changed that and all teachers have to do it now for free - which results in little or no subbing work. Some teachers could opt out but the majority have to do it now. Just out of interest - how does this work in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Currently studying to become a teacher myself. I'm having doubts about the availability of future jobs, hence me really starting to think maybe a degree in something else might be for the better, I'm in my first year. This thread hasn't filled me with confidence, everything seems to be pretty dull and gloomy around the teaching sector, am I far wrong ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Currently studying to become a teacher myself. I'm having doubts about the availability of future jobs, hence me really starting to think maybe a degree in something else might be for the better, I'm in my first year. This thread hasn't filled me with confidence, everything seems to be pretty dull and gloomy around the teaching sector, am I far wrong ?

No you're not. I wouldn't be advising anyone I know to go into teaching at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Are you doing a teaching training degree i.e. science/home ec etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

spurious wrote: »
    No you're not. I wouldn't be advising anyone I know to go into teaching at the moment.

But if it's really what you want to do, you shouldn't be put off. All I ever wanted to do was be a teacher, and when I qualified back in the eighties I put up with years of part time work, night classes, teaching English in the summer, four years of emigration. I got there eventually, and in an odd way those years did me good. I learned to be very adaptable, and got experience in so many different spheres.
    If a person is prepared to pick up every spare hour, and even to emigrate for a while, the experience will stand to them, and will pay off eventually. Things won't always be as bleak.

katydid wrote: »
    But if it's really what you want to do, you shouldn't be put off. All I ever wanted to do was be a teacher, and when I qualified back in the eighties I put up with years of part time work, night classes, teaching English in the summer, four years of emigration. I got there eventually, and in an odd way those years did me good. I learned to be very adaptable, and got experience in so many different spheres.
    If a person is prepared to pick up every spare hour, and even to emigrate for a while, the experience will stand to them, and will pay off eventually. Things won't always be as bleak.

I would agree, but teaching is changing so much in Ireland, and not for the better I think. I'm only at it 14 years and the amount of administration and paperwork that it involves now in comparison to when I started is astonishing. More frustrating when I think of the reams of paperwork that I've filled in, that doesn't matter and no one has ever looked at. And also the reams of paperwork that I haven't filled in because I haven't had time, and no one has looked for that either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I would agree, but teaching is changing so much in Ireland, and not for the better I think. I'm only at it 14 years and the amount of administration and paperwork that it involves now in comparison to when I started is astonishing. More frustrating when I think of the reams of paperwork that I've filled in, that doesn't matter and no one has ever looked at. And also the reams of paperwork that I haven't filled in because I haven't had time, and no one has looked for that either.
    I agree with all that, but if your passion is teaching, you just have to accept that. What we have now is what I had in the UK twenty years ago.

Advertisement