Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Successful - post here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Passed today 3rd time lucky woohoo must of been the last person in tallaght today no one in the waiting room or any cars parked waiting to go. Must of played on my side cause I felt I done badly, but hey passed and now to the ndls centre first thing in the morning

Passed today in Finglas. Over the moon! :D the instructor was very formal before I sat the test so that made me a bit nervous, but once he told me I passed he was really nice and chatty. So don't be put off by the formal approach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Passed my test today in Carrick on Shannon! It was my second time taking it - my first was at the beginning of the month & I was so disappointed to fail. Knew it was my own fault but it was honestly the best thing to happen in the end because it made me much more aware of the mistakes I was making.

Feels amazing to be able to post in this thread at last, I've been watching it for the past 2 months! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Passed today in Gorey, was really surprised because I was sure I failed. This was my second go of it and I first time I felt I did really well but this time compared to my first was a disaster. Can't complain, really happy to pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JetJadore

Passed I Sligo town. Really friendly new testers which is a relief. Third time lucky after two previous disasters, one in particular with a very nasty tester in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 18 andym16

JetJadore wrote: »
    Passed I Sligo town. Really friendly new testers which is a relief. Third time lucky after two previous disasters, one in particular with a very nasty tester in Sligo

Hi JetJadore

Have my first driving test in sligo in a few weeks and was just wondering what route you were taken on and what theory you were asked?

Hi Andy, the route I was on took me onto the roundabout up from Molly's and onto the dual carriageway. Up the slip road to Caltragh and in Caltragh for a few minutes.
    Went out the other side then down pearse road towards town, then taking a right at the end of gallows hill down high street then up by top part. Went back up the road and took that left that brings you down towards dunes then over by lidl and down by the graveyard. The tester was really nice, they have new tester whom are younger. I also had another man in the back who was watching the tester as he is new. I thought I'd be uncomfortable but they were very relaxing. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

What a morning to have to do the feckin test, driving rain and surface water everywhere.

Thought I did ok but was surprised that I only had one Grade 2 error.

That's me done and dusted now.

Best of luck to everyone else.

JetJadore wrote: »
    Hi Andy, the route I was on took me onto the roundabout up from Molly's and onto the dual carriageway. Up the slip road to Caltragh and in Caltragh for a few minutes.
    Went out the other side then down pearse road towards town, then taking a right at the end of gallows hill down high street then up by top part. Went back up the road and took that left that brings you down towards dunes then over by lidl and down by the graveyard. The tester was really nice, they have new tester whom are younger. I also had another man in the back who was watching the tester as he is new. I thought I'd be uncomfortable but they were very relaxing. Best of luck :)

Thanks...I live in the town so have been driving around it and practicing manoeuvres at the spots mentioned by my driving instructor nearly everyday. Did you do all your manoeuvres in Caltragh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Passed first go few weeks back. :p

Anyway got asked (What I think was a stupid question!)

Who was right of way a roundabout?
    Then asked, Who has right of way at a roundabout when there's no-one on it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Can anybody who did the test in finglas tell me how accurate the routes on 4 wheel motor school are? He has 3 videos 2 go right and then left into the skinny road in Clancy.

The three point turn and reverse I done in Crozon, the hill start by the Graveyard :)
    Best of luck with the test, and let me know if you have any other questions!

Ah perfect..ive been practicing there as well as other spots. Have a lesson tomorrow just to perfect everything but I should be fine and am fairly relaxed about the whole thing actually. On the day just have to not make any silly mistakes and I should be grand.

Ah perfect..ive been practicing there as well as other spots. Have a lesson tomorrow just to perfect everything but I should be fine and am fairly relaxed about the whole thing actually. On the day just have to not make any silly mistakes and I should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Passed today in Tallaght.

Got a few Grade 2's on observation and footbrake.

Happy with the test overall - the time flew by :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Passed yesterday in Tallaght for my 2nd attempt, failed 1st time 3 weeks to the day.

8.25am test and was blessed with the weather - Reverse around the corner in Bancroft and Hill start/Turn in Tymon Estate.

Got 2 grade 2s - one for progression turning right and another for road markings - I overtook a bus that had just pulled into a stop outside the entrance to the BasketBall Arena and drove on the hatch markings, bit of an odd mark down....anyway I passed so that's all that matters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Pov06 wrote: »
    Passed today in Tallaght.

Got a few Grade 2's on observation and footbrake.

Happy with the test overall - the time flew by :)

Congrats!

How quickly the test flies by really surprised me, you're on your way back to the centre before you even know it.

My tester was a very relaxed easy going fella which I found great.

Best of luck to anyone doing the test soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Passed today in Galway on my second attempt. Test was early in the morning so was terrified of early morning traffic in case people late for work decided they wanted to cut in front of me or do other things that would throw me off!

Did it in my own car this time and it was so much easier because I was so used to it. Good luck to anyone doing their test any time soon, was such a great feeling when I was told I passed :D

Passed today in Sligo. First attempt at it too 😠lots of traffic due to roadworks and a rainy day to top it off

Well done!!! :) I was wondering about you and how you got on :) It was a miserable ould day weatherwise here in Sligo.
    CONGRATS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 jamesol

Passed in Naas yesterday.. Yeessss! Did the test at 9.15, thank god the morning traffic had calmed a bit by that time. Made a few mistakes (5 grade 2's) but passed so happy out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

jamesol wrote: »
    Passed in Naas yesterday.. Yeessss! Did the test at 9.15, thank god the morning traffic had calmed a bit by that time. Made a few mistakes (5 grade 2's) but passed so happy out!

Which tester did you get? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Didn't think I would be posting in hew today.
    3rd time lucky in Rathgar at 11 this morning. Hardly any traffic and the sun wasn't too low.

I made a few mistakes with junctions andwas a bit jujumpy on progress. All down to nerves. I cut out when I was pulling in at the end of the test.

I was convinced I bumped the kerb in the turn about. Either I didn't or it was to slight that he didn't notice.
    I saw him tapping the I pad loads of times turns out they were mostly grade 1s

Got 7 grade 2s and 10 grade 1s. I actually said 'Seriously?' when he gave me the COC to sign. And then I started crying :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I cannot believe I passed first time! I got 7 Grade 2s which isn't the best but most definitely not the worst!

My worst area was turning left, somehow. I also thought I messed up the reverse about but I didn't, just hit a drain. I have been struggling with the reverse around the corner the last few days but perfected it today! My observation (on the reverse) was worse than usual and that brought me down, along with my hesitation.

Thanks to everyone who contributed throughout this thread, it really helped me through the test! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

BE test this morning. 2 grade 1's, 0 grade 2's and obviously 0 grade 3. First time at this test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Just passed myself after what i thought was a definite fail.

I stalled the car at the top of a hill, but never rolled back, so maybe thats what got me a grade 2 for clutch rather than an automatic fail. That was my only mark, only the one grade 2. I could see him tapping away at his tablet a lot of the time i was driving, mainly thinking what more did i do wrong that he was marking me for. It was my first time on the test, and while im not a nervous driver, when i started off on the test i couldnt stop my left leg from shaking, which probably didnt help for the stall on the hill. The stall actually relaxed me and everything after that was a chore to me, because i was more thinking about how id get the near 200 euro to sit the test again using testers car and booking the test again, and would i get the same fella again or would i rather a different tester. But in any case it all came good for me in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Passed in Rathgar, first time. 3 Grade twos. Went straight to the NDLS centre and licence on its way soon. Thrilled!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 harpy87

Long time lurker here but wanted to share - passed my test today in Rathgar, second time 2 grade 1's, delighted! First time I couldn't complete the reverse around the corner [came around too fast and was flush with the kerb and couldn't fix it out of panic and busy roads], then did a super dangerous right turn straight after, so I was bag of nerves this time. Didn't help that my appointment was deleted off the system because the RSA claimed I'd rang in and cancelled my test!! [I definitely did not..] Luckily it was all sorted, and a after a false start we got going. Going to the NDLS centre first thing tomorrow morning to get a walk in appt. Found this forum super helpful - thanks to all the posters!

harpy87 wrote: »
    Long time lurker here but wanted to share - passed my test today in Rathgar, second time 2 grade 1's, delighted! First time I couldn't complete the reverse around the corner [came around too fast and was flush with the kerb and couldn't fix it out of panic and busy roads], then did a super dangerous right turn straight after, so I was bag of nerves this time. Didn't help that my appointment was deleted off the system because the RSA claimed I'd rang in and cancelled my test!! [I definitely did not..] Luckily it was all sorted, and a after a false start we got going. Going to the NDLS centre first thing tomorrow morning to get a walk in appt. Found this forum super helpful - thanks to all the posters!

Might have seen you there!! Congrats

You too! Well done! Let's hope we get our licences soon. Shame about the N-plates though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Passed last Wednesday in Rathgar! Second time! Hadn't driven after my first failed test for 2 years and got back into it 2 months ago, shocked I passed to be honest :D I have an appointment in NDLS tomorrow at 1.45pm, any idea how long the process takes? Need to be back in work by 2.30.

I have an appointment in NDLS tomorrow at 1.45pm, any idea how long the process takes? Need to be back in work by 2.30.

It's very speedy. I went in a few months ago to get my learner permit renewed and they called me earlier than my appointment time so maybe get there 15 minutes early in case they can see you ahead of schedule. They're very strict about having all the correct paperwork so triple check everything. I went in last Saturday to apply for my full licence as a 'walk in' and was seen within 20 minutes - the actual process takes less than 10 minutes. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

harpy87 wrote: »
    It's very speedy. I went in a few months ago to get my learner permit renewed and they called me earlier than my appointment time so maybe get there 15 minutes early in case they can see you ahead of schedule. They're very strict about having all the correct paperwork so triple check everything. I went in last Saturday to apply for my full licence as a 'walk in' and was seen within 20 minutes - the actual process takes less than 10 minutes. Hope that helps!

Cheers thanks, I won't get there 15 mins before hand but will get there a bit earlier (only get my lunch from work at 1.30ish and it's a 10 min walk).

Double checked my paperwork and got my mam to check it too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dublinjen

Passed in Raheny, cannot believe it I'm so delighted!

The guy really put me off at the very start saying that 3:30 was too late for a test and that if it got dark the test would have to be stopped, so anyone doing a test later in the day get there really early!

I got into the car thinking he'd already made his mind up and I'd already failed, and was super nervous, got to the Raheny junction and fear stuck - i didnt edge out past the line, the guy was such a gent he just said to me it was obvious I was nervous calm down I'm not here to bite ya. After that I was fine, in total 3 grade 2's - 2 on progress one on my reverse which swung a little wide.

I got some intensive lessons before the test and spent 3 days really working on coasting/position on turns, the guy who did them cured few bad habits i'd built up and the even better result is that I'm a much better driver, if anyone want's his name give me a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,484 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Delighted to say that I passed the test this morning in Wilton. I had been putting it off for ages as my nerves wouldn't be the best under exam situations. But as my learner permit would expire in March I had to pluck up the courage to finally do it.

I was delighted that the estate where the tester got me to due the reverse around a corner was the spot where my instructor had brought me two days earlier for my pre-test.

I drove home smiling like a Cheshire cat and I've booked my appointment with the NDLS centre for Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Just passed in Galway this morning! Absolutely delighted.

1 Grade 1 on Moving off (Probably nerves at the start)
    1 Grade 1 on Overtaking. DAMN CYCLISTS. :P
    1 Grade 2 on changing lanes.

2 Grade 1 and a Grade 2 on Gears (I'll take the hint there and practice my gears)

That was it! Guy seemed nice enough to be fair!

Got stuck on one sign question. Not sure if I got it right in the end of if he just let me off with one!
    Regardless, I passed so I couldn't give a fiddler :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Passed with quiet a lot of faults.
    7 in total
    Reaction to hazards, passing to close to a stationary vehicle, right turn, coasting on clutch, fault on the reverse and observation.

Had a great instructor recommended to me from here, will pass on this thing he mentioned since it was bad weather be ready to hop into the car really quickly at the start of the test and show the tester your indicators work and brake light works, also since the bonnet is not being lifted be ready to answer questions about tires, brakes, brake lights and hand break.
    And remember your internal hand signals for facing a Garda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Passed on the second try. First time I got 10 blues. This time I only got one (used the wrong indicator approaching a roundabout)

Fairly delighted as had resigned myself to being someone who took a fair few trys to pass it.

Thanks for all the help everyone, this thread was a huge help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Passed yesterday - so happy :D Was taken out on the dual carriageway and all, which is odd for my test centre. So happy I don't have it hanging over me any more :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 johnpd82

passed my c licence test today in nass. 3rd time lucky.couple of grade 2s . observation and gears. tester was sound. some small conversation . after the test was all chat and congragulated me . then wished me the best for the future. absolutely delighted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Passed, woop woop, doing a little dance here. Now to go to the NDLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SillyGal

Passed today on my second try!! I'm so excited I finally qualify to post on this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Passed first time today in Rathgar! Thanks to all posters, this thread was a big help.

BTW I didn't get N plates from the tester...I must have been too excited. Anyway can I get N plates from the NDLS or do I have to go back to the test centre? Do you even get them from the tester in the first place?

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Passed first time today in Rathgar! Thanks to all posters, this thread was a big help.

BTW I didn't get N plates from the tester...I must have been too excited. Anyway can I get N plates from the NDLS or do I have to go back to the test centre? Do you even get them from the tester in the first place?

I had to buy mine. One of my friends was given them after she passed but she was in the Woodview centre in Limerick. Myself and others that did it in the Casltemungret one didn't get them at all. Depends on the centre, it seems.

I had to buy mine. One of my friends was given them after she passed but she was in the Woodview centre in Limerick. Myself and others that did it in the Casltemungret one didn't get them at all. Depends on the centre, it seems.

Thanks for that. Where did you buy them if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Where did you buy them if you don't mind me asking?

There's a halfords near me so I got them there. I'm not 100% sure what other shops do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

That's surprising, I thought they gave all new drivers a N plate, but typically any motor store will sell them, halfords being one, or try online (might be cheaper). I remember when I was waiting for my test result, he started pulling lots of paper out of a draw and handed me the N plate before he even said I had passed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I've seen them in a few Dunnes Stores. Ashleaf, if it's hand for you near Rathgar.

It looks like they're becoming about as widespread as L plates.

Also seen N plates in several pound shops. The one in Nutgrove SC had some if you're near there though I was given a set when I passed in Rathgar.

Picked up my N plates today in Dunnes Leopardstown

• Advertisement
Advertisement