Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait how long to grab an expired .ie domain name?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Greetings

Anyone know what the average time is before a .ie domain name becomes available to register after it has expired (i.e. the current holders have gone out of business and look as if they are not going to renew the domain)?

I read an article once about .com domain names that indicated that it can take 2 months before the domain is "up for grabs" again. The same article also said that there are paid services you can subscribe to that will constantly ping servers to grab the domain at the earliest possible moment. Some of these services grab the domain themselves and then auction the domain off online.

I doubt that the same could happen to a .ie address because of the tighter rules.

McGintyMcGoo

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

30 days I believe.

EDIT: Incorrect. You get 30 days to pay the bill, then it moves into "Suspension" mode for 14 days. After which, if you fail to pay, then its back on sale on a first come first served basis.

EDIT #2: Jesus, they are nice. After 30 days, you get a notice giving you an extra two weeks. Ignore that, they suspend for two weeks. Then it will be deleted two weeks after that. That simply can not be right so I guess I am reading this wrong:
    All domain names are invoiced on the first working day of the month following the month that their renewal falls in. For example. If your domain name has a renewal date of the 10th of September – then it will be invoiced on the 1st working day of October. The renew date will remain in the past until payment is made. When payment is made the renewal date will instantly go forward by one year. If payment is not received within 30 days of the invoice date the domain name will move into a suspension process.

The suspension process initially notifies the admin contact by email that the domain name has not been paid for and unless payment is made, will be suspended in two weeks from the date of the email. If payment is not received within those two weeks – we will proceed to suspend the domain name as advised. The domain will be suspended for 2 weeks during which time payment can be made and the domain reactivated. However if payment is not received the domain name will be deleted two weeks after suspension and will then be available for re-registration to the general public, a first come first served basis.
    http://iedr.ie/faq.php#34

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

did u really need to quote the whole thing? wouldn't the link or even relevant sections be enough

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

MacGyver wrote: »
    did u really need to quote the whole thing? wouldn't the link or even relevant sections be enough

Its been fixed before you even posted dude. Actually, it was fixed in a matter of seconds after posting once I spotted my error ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The main thing to watch is the status. Once the domain status shows as "suspended" in whois then it's more likely to drop

blacknight wrote: »
    The main thing to watch is the status. Once the domain status shows as "suspended" in whois then it's more likely to drop

Is it really 30 days + 14 days + 14 days + 14 days? Seems a bit long to hold onto hope that the client will renew? I must be reading it wrong surely?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Is it really 30 days + 14 days + 14 days + 14 days? Seems a bit long to hold onto hope that the client will renew? I must be reading it wrong surely?
    Unfortunately it's not an exact number of days, but depends on the IEDR's billing cycles.

Basically the IEDR bill at the beginning of the month for renewals and registrations.

Depending on the reseller (registrar) and how they handle the billing on their end, the domain might be marked for suspension close to the "expiry" date, but others might let it run for much much longer...

Sorry if that's vague, but unfortunately the way the IEDR handle the billing and renewals it's anything but an exact science

Unfortunately it's not an exact number of days, but depends on the IEDR's billing cycles.

Basically the IEDR bill at the beginning of the month for renewals and registrations.

Depending on the reseller (registrar) and how they handle the billing on their end, the domain might be marked for suspension close to the "expiry" date, but others might let it run for much much longer...

Sorry if that's vague, but unfortunately the way the IEDR handle the billing and renewals it's anything but an exact science

Thanks. Would it not be easier if they both went in sync, no?

Sully wrote: »
    Thanks. Would it not be easier if they both went in sync, no?
    In common with several other ccTLD registries IEDR works on a monthly billing cycle and their system won't "kill" a domain until either the reseller marks it for deletion or the bill is not paid within their credit terms.

As a result of this you can see domains still "live" up to 60 days after their actual renewal date.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Im anxiously waiting on a .com to expire, its still in the redemption period!
    As a result of this you can see domains still "live" up to 60 days after their actual renewal date.

Yeah that's true, i never renewed a domain and still had it for another 6 months lol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Croga wrote: »
    Im anxiously waiting on a .com to expire, its still in the redemption period!
    Ha - I've been watching one for years too - every year the fcuker sticks another 12 months on it after the expiry date!

• Advertisement
Advertisement