Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Books About Being A Young Officer/Officer Cadet

• 26-03-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend any good literature on being a young officer or an officer cadet in a Western army?

I'm looking for something to read on the Cadet School (if there is any), Sandhurst, Westpoint and generally anything on life as a cadet in some of these western military academies.

I'm also looking for literature on life as a young officer around the ranks of Lieutenant up to Commandant/Major. More so geared towards the Irish Army if there are any books on that, the British Army, but also in the US Army/Marines, French Army (if there are books on that in English) and generally as I said, western armies.

Hope ye can help lads. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Can anyone recommend any good literature on being a young officer or an officer cadet in a Western army?

I'm looking for something to read on the Cadet School (if there is any), Sandhurst, Westpoint and generally anything on life i=as a cadet in some of these western military academies.

I'm also looking for literature on life as a young officer around the ranks of Lieutenant up to Commandant/Major. More so geared towards the Irish Army if there are any books on that, the British Army, but also in the US Army/Marines, French Army (if there are books on that in English) and generally as I said, western armies.

Hope ye can help lads. Thanks!

"callsign hades" about an Irish officer in the us marines. It's in easons. I haven't read it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Tybalt

Callsign Hades is an excellent book by Patrick Bury, a young officer from Dublin who was in the Royal Irish Regiment in Afghanistan.
    In summer 2006 Helmand Province erupted into violence as NATO forces struggled to crush Taliban strongholds. For six weeks the Royal Irish Regiment and the Paras defended Sangin in the face of ever-mounting attacks. At this point young officer Patrick Bury was learning the trade of the infantry in the Brecon Beacons. Paddy had always wanted to be a soldier - a desire fraught with the contradictions of a complex history overridden by a 'warrior calling'. When he arrived in Afghanistan with 1st Royal Irish, he was surrounded by men oozing bloody combat experience. This was not Sandhurst. It was extreme violence and killing. Hades Four One was his callsign and the infantry mantra rang in his ears: 'To close and kill the enemy, in all weather conditions, in all terrain, by day or night.' Over six months, Paddy and his company dealt with over a hundred IEDs, of which 60 exploded on them, killing his comrades in the most vicious of ways and fuelling a sense of ever-growing dissatisfaction in the young captain. This powerful and thoughful first-hand account about the 'eternal truths of military life' places the reader in Paddy's boots, sharing every thought, ache, smell and taste of life on the frontline in Afghanistan. He describes modern warfare in a way that creates an understanding of the myriad complexities soldiers are faced with, the conditions in which they operate and the moral and emotional challenges they endure.

Sorry, RIR, some reason I had the marines on my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Tybalt

Wasn't picking you up on it, didn't see what you posted until I finished :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

There is another biography out there penned by an Irishman who joined the USMC and went through the second Iraq war, but don't recall if that was as an officer or enlisted, since it's been a while since I read it; The Green Marine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

It was enlisted. Still a great read though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Callsign Hades, good book. Not a huge amount on Sandhurst but very interesting. But a good insight into what it's like to pass out and find yourself in charge of a platoon of men as a gormless newly minted officer.

I too would be interested in any book charting the experience of an officer cadet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Junior-Officers-Reading-Club/dp/1846141869

Supposed to be a very good read by all accounts. Available in O'Connell street Easons store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

One bullet away, great book autobiography following author through US marines officer training and second Iraq war

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

I'd recommend all of the above and:

Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat by James McDonough. About the author's time as a PL in Vietnam 1970-71. What immediately stood out for me was the attrition rate of his platoon. IIRC he gets there in August 1970 and by Christmas almost none of his original platoon are left, either through injury, death or rotation home and he himself was injured by a booby trap just a couple of weeks into his tour (though he recovered quickly and continued to lead his platoon).

18 Platoon by Sydney Jared. I haven't actually got a hold of it yet but a lot of people recommend it. About a PL in WW2 from Normandy until VE day but by all accounts a great study of small unit leadership.

I still think the best one so far was Callsign Hades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Brilliant result!!

Thanks very much lads! Some great finds there. Keep em coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Also,
    For other people following this thread for the same reason that I started it, I've discovered,

Diaries of an Irish Soldier: Ennis to Angola.
    Its about a guy who joins the FCA in the late 40's, then goes into the cadetschool and becomes an officer in the Irish Army. Its his memoirs about his time in the DF and his tours of duty.

I've also discovered Beyond the Call of Duty: Acts of Heroism In The Irish Defence Forces. That title may not be perfect but its something like that. Its by Declan Power, and I'm hoping to give it a read too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Junior Officers Reading Club, Patrick Hennessey.

its pretty good - its quite intimate, rather than a 'A happened, then B, then C' type account - Hennessey was a Grenadier Guards officer who commissioned in 2005 and who served in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan.

its certainly worth reading -though as the bugger is now a barrister, make sure you get the book through a library/fleabay rather than a bookshop so as not to enrich him further!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I am a retired army officer and the one book I remember vividly from my Cadet School days was "The long gray line". It's about Westpoint but still relevant and an excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

''It doesn't take a hero'' is a great autobiography about Norman Schwarzkopf, It takes in all stages of his personal life and career and also includes a large portion about his time at west point. Probably the best autobiography that I have ever read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Whilst books about the DF are comparatively rare, some which cover the misadventures of Junior Officers and the Cadet School include "Sheep ****e and Soldiers" and "Tough at the Bottom"

"The Diaries of an Irish Soldier" were written by a member of the same cadet class as the author of "Tough at the bottom" and the contrast between the two books is great.

If anything, take the stories in the first two with a pinch of salt, but it gives a flavour of what the old school army was like............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There's "the Unforgiving Minute" by Capt. Craig M. Mullaney. It takes you through his time at West Point, Ranger School, as a Rhodes Scholar in Oxford (talk about the complete opposite of West Point!!) through to his service in Afghanistan.

I found it to be a good read.

There's also "Making the Corps" by Thomas Ricks (him who wrote "Fiasco" and "the Gamble" about Afghanistan and Iraq) - this one follows a platoon of Marines through basic training at boot camp, Parris Island, South Carolina. Good read, but as it was written in the late 1990s, perhaps a little dated now.

"One Bullet Away" is another one that follows an officer (this time a US Marine) through Quantico to Afghanistan - it goes over-the-top sometimes, but another good read.

Finally there's "All In" which is a study of General Petraeus - heavy going in parts, but I found it quite thought provoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Jawgap wrote: »
    There's "the Unforgiving Minute" by Capt. Craig M. Mullaney. It takes you through his time at West Point, Ranger School, as a Rhodes Scholar in Oxford (talk about the complete opposite of West Point!!) through to his service in Afghanistan.

I found it to be a good read.

There's also "Making the Corps" by Thomas Ricks (him who wrote "Fiasco" and "the Gamble" about Afghanistan and Iraq) - this one follows a platoon of Marines through basic training at boot camp, Parris Island, South Carolina. Good read, but as it was written in the late 1990s, perhaps a little dated now.

"One Bullet Away" is another one that follows an officer (this time a US Marine) through Quantico to Afghanistan - it goes over-the-top sometimes, but another good read.

Finally there's "All In" which is a study of General Petraeus - heavy going in parts, but I found it quite thought provoking.

It might be worth noting for the uninitiated, that the Author of "one bullet away" is Nathaniel Fick, the platoon commander featured in evan Wright's "Generation Kill" and the accompanying hbo series of the same name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

The Junior Officers Reading Club manages to evoke modern Sandhurst very well,

feeney92 wrote: »
    there was some book written recently about an Irishman who joined the FFL beause he enjoyed the adrenaline rush(and I say that because thats what I remember about the description of it) but I cant find it anywhere can somebody tell me the name of it plz?

Hidden Solider by Padraig O'Keefe

Advertisement