Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O'Dea should suspend delivery of this crass knife crime leaflet

Options
  • 21-11-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I received this gory leaflet on knife crime in the letter box from Willie O'Dea's muppets this week.

I thought that it was particularly insensitive in a week where we have suffered four knife deaths in Limerick. The decent thing would have been to suspend leaflet delivery, for a time at least.

Is O'Dea so obsessed with being re-elected that he has lost sight of the big picture?

willie_odea_knife.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Hate this type of propaganda,
    see it all the time on the Papers and with politicians.

It gets on my wick that Media & politicians try and
    blame and ban inanimate objects for causing crime
    or being the source of crime, and by removing such
    objects or making them illegal that all of a sudden crime
    will disappear.

They get this idea in their heads and try and brainwash the public into thinking if something
    like a knife was removed from existance that all of a sudden crime would be reduced.

its true that such objects can be used as tools to aid
    someone to commit a Crime but Inanimate objects are not causing crime.
    Its the intent of the Person who commits the crime.
    And the reasons and situations they are in where they
    need they feel the need to break the law and commit a
    crime in the first place that is the cause of blame.
    No amount of banning objects will stop this.

It would benefit this country a hell of a lot more if
    there was more concern and focus placed on why
    "People" are in situations where they feel they need to commit a crime in the first place and to try and fix that.

If I put myself in the shoes of a scumbag criminal
    who wants some quick cash for whatever reason.

I think to my self. Mmm I've got a gun I can rob a bank!
    (possible out come, I hurt people and get money)
    or
    I've got a replica gun, I can still Rob a bank.
    (possible outcome I hurt nobody but may get away with it
    or get shot dead by the ERU)
    or
    I've got a Knife/Sword, I can maybe still Rob a bank
    (possible outcome, I hurt poeple and get money)
    or
    Its a little risky trying to rob a bank with a Knife/replica/Gun I'll Hold up a shop instead.
    or
    Shop is too risky I think I will hold up someone on the street.
    or **** if I get caught with a knife or replica gun I'll
    get done for it and maybe prison time so I will use
    a butter knife or screwdriver or golf club insead.
    or
    Damn better not get caught with a weapon when trying
    to mug someone, will beat em up or threaten them or try
    a snatch and grab.

Irregardless of the Objects used to comitt the Crime
    and Iregardless of the scale of the crime be it more or less serious,
    you still have those that are intent on comitting a crime in the first place. No amount of banning or outlawing things
    is going to change this if someone will comitt a crime
    in the first place.

My opinion would be to try and fix the things that cause
    people to think about commiting a crime in the first place
    rather than focusing on whatever object they happen to pick up off or use dureing a crime.

With regards to what Politicians and the media tend to focus on.

Guns are the big one. Ban all guns it will stop crime.....yeah right!!!
    Airsoft. Ban all replica guns cos they look like the real thing, that will stop crime. Bull****
    Knifes. Ban em, impose severe sentances, that will
    stop crime not.....
    Ban samurai swords too, Yep they cause crime if we ban
    them there will be no more samurai crime.
    JCB's Mmm think we should ban them too. They keep gettting used to Raid ATM machines out the country so Yep
    we if we ban JCB's there will be no more ATM raiding crime.

So if Guns/Knifes/Swords/JCB's did not exist in society
    what would Criminals or people that had
    an intent to commit a crime turn to? will there
    be a bunch of Hurley whielding knackers running about
    the place holding up little old ladies for their purse money?

I own real guns. Yet I've not ever commited a crime or have never thought to with them.
    I own replica guns. Yet I've never comitted a crime or
    have ever thought to with them.
    I own a samurai sword. Yet I've never comitted a crime or have ever thought to with it or my other swords.
    I've a drawer full of kitchen knives but have not stabbed anyone with them ever,
    I dont own a JCB so cant comment on that one when it comes to making a withdrawl.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

bullets wrote: »
    Hate this type of propaganda,
    see it all the time on the Papers and with politicians.

It gets on my wick that Media & politicians try and
    blame and ban inanimate objects for causing crime
    or being the source of crime, and by removing such
    objects or making them illegal that all of a sudden crime
    will disappear.

They get this idea in their heads and try and brainwash the public into thinking if something
    like a knife was removed from existance that all of a sudden crime would be reduced.

its true that such objects can be used as tools to aid
    someone to commit a Crime but Inanimate objects are not causing crime.
    Its the intent of the Person who commits the crime.
    And the reasons and situations they are in where they
    need they feel the need to break the law and commit a
    crime in the first place that is the cause of blame.
    No amount of banning objects will stop this.

It would benefit this country a hell of a lot more if
    there was more concern and focus placed on why
    "People" are in situations where they feel they need to commit a crime in the first place and to try and fix that.

If I put myself in the shoes of a scumbag criminal
    who wants some quick cash for whatever reason.

I think to my self. Mmm I've got a gun I can rob a bank!
    (possible out come, I hurt people and get money)
    or
    I've got a replica gun, I can still Rob a bank.
    (possible outcome I hurt nobody but may get away with it
    or get shot dead by the ERU)
    or
    I've got a Knife/Sword, I can maybe still Rob a bank
    (possible outcome, I hurt poeple and get money)
    or
    Its a little risky trying to rob a bank with a Knife/replica/Gun I'll Hold up a shop instead.
    or
    Shop is too risky I think I will hold up someone on the street.
    or **** if I get caught with a knife or replica gun I'll
    get done for it and maybe prison time so I will use
    a butter knife or screwdriver or golf club insead.
    or
    Damn better not get caught with a weapon when trying
    to mug someone, will beat em up or threaten them or try
    a snatch and grab.

Irregardless of the Objects used to comitt the Crime
    and Iregardless of the scale of the crime be it more or less serious,
    you still have those that are intent on comitting a crime in the first place. No amount of banning or outlawing things
    is going to change this if someone will comitt a crime
    in the first place.

My opinion would be to try and fix the things that cause
    people to think about commiting a crime in the first place
    rather than focusing on whatever object they happen to pick up off or use dureing a crime.

With regards to what Politicians and the media tend to focus on.

Guns are the big one. Ban all guns it will stop crime.....yeah right!!!
    Airsoft. Ban all replica guns cos they look like the real thing, that will stop crime. Bull****
    Knifes. Ban em, impose severe sentances, that will
    stop crime not.....
    Ban samurai swords too, Yep they cause crime if we ban
    them there will be no more samurai crime.
    JCB's Mmm think we should ban them too. They keep gettting used to Raid ATM machines out the country so Yep
    we if we ban JCB's there will be no more ATM raiding crime.

So if Guns/Knifes/Swords/JCB's did not exist in society
    what would Criminals or people that had
    an intent to commit a crime turn to? will there
    be a bunch of Hurley whielding knackers running about
    the place holding up little old ladies for their purse money?

I own real guns. Yet I've not ever commited a crime or have never thought to with them.
    I own replica guns. Yet I've never comitted a crime or
    have ever thought to with them.
    I own a samurai sword. Yet I've never comitted a crime or have ever thought to with it or my other swords.
    I've a drawer full of kitche knives but have not stabbed anyone with them ever,
    I dont own a JCB so cant comment on that one when it comes to making a withdrawl.

~B
    No offense, but I found this rant to be misguided and irrelevant, which is actually disappoint considering that any post I see be you is usually the opposite.

If someone in is caught in public carrying a knife, it says a lot about their intentions, they're hardly keeping it handy in case they find an innocent use for it. At the same time, they're not sending people out to confiscate the contents of peoples cutlery drawers..

Yes, I agree the leaflet was in poor-taste considering recent events, I'd be pretty surprised if they actually thought releasing this would put anyone's mind at rest in the first place. I really had to laugh at the photo of Willie in it though, standing triumphantly looking into the future..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Boasting that samurai swords have been banned? How many people have been killed by a f**king samurai sword recently Willie? Stupid f**ing c**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Do nothing. Criticism.
    Do something. Critcism.

You Irish are never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Bambi wrote: »
    Boasting that samurai swords have been banned? How many people have been killed by a f**king samurai sword recently Willie? Stupid f**ing c**t.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/crackdown-on-samurai-swords-1874325.html

I refer you to the "Injuries" section, especially the last line. Still, this is old news, but I love the way it was included in the pamphlet as if he single-handedly got them banned.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Do nothing. Criticism.
    Do something. Critcism.

You Irish are never happy.
    Criticism is the examination of the merits and faults of something, everyone's entitled to do it, it's certainly not exclusive to the Irish :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

In fairness, the timing is unfortunate.
    Im sure it was printed and the delivery well organised before that terrible incident.
    He would be better off finally getting up of his lazy hole and doing something for the 25,000 plus unemployed people in the city, helping Shannon and getting us some investment down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

kilburn wrote: »
    In fairness, the timing is unfortunate.
    Im sure it was printed and the delivery well organised before that terrible incident.
    He would be better off finally getting up of his lazy hole and doing something for the 25,000 plus unemployed people in the city, helping Shannon and getting us some investment down here.

but there would not be anything in that for the dff or himself in doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

I received this gory leaflet on knife crime in the letter box from Willie O'Dea's muppets this week.

I thought that it was particularly insensitive in a week where we have suffered four knife deaths in Limerick. The decent thing would have been to suspend leaflet delivery, for a time at least.

Is O'Dea so obsessed with being re-elected that he has lost sight of the big picture?

im not remotely a fan of O'Dea, but to be fair, this is in fact about 'the big picture' as its about all knife crime, not crime specific to limerick, even if the timing is a bit unfortunate.

what you are saying is like giving out about drink-driving ads being shown, because someone local was killed by a drink driver,

with that kind of thinking, a drink-driving ad would never get shown

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Really bad timing.

If we exclude newcastle west this week (rip) how much knife crime is there in limerick really?

Besides the media 'stab city'?

Gun shootings maybe (which hasn't happened in awhile) or petrol bombing houses (city has more than its fair share of burnt out houses which does not make headlines unless someone is killed rip) or unemployment 20,000+ or dying city centre (which seems to be coming back to life)

Watching vincent brown tonight they mentioned willy looking after his own seat, about something today he wrote in independent against government, the only person willy cares about himself is himself.

I would like to think positive about limericks future not have a politican dropping junk in letter boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

E-mailed O' Dea's Oireachtais email account asking that he stop passing them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭watchingthepols

CiaranMT wrote: »
    E-mailed O' Dea's Oireachtais email account asking that he stop passing them out.

I suspect that this leaflet was published at the tax payers expense as part of O'Dea's leaflet allowance. He can also claim expenses for having it delivered.

But TBH I think that O'Dea will issue leaflets & discuss absolutely anything other than his record as part of this failed FF government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

and these same expenses are no doubt claimed for the annual christmas card he sends me which i promptly send back to him. hes sending me a card paid ultimitately by myself and my taxes .... to .... me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Limerick would be a better place had Weasel O'Dea fallen on his own sword a long time ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jumpy wrote: »
    Do nothing. Criticism.
    Do something meaningless and ineffective which is a waste of public money (which is in very short supply). Critcism.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

It would take more than a sword to pierce some of those hides though.

Advertisement