Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chassis Restoration.

• 19-10-2014 7:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

I have a chassis off a 4x4 that i would like to either get galvanised but running into a problem as all the companies i rang said i need to get someone to remove the paint and make sure the inside of the legs are clean and free from muck and dirt.
    I got the impression from most of them thats its my problem if the galv dont work right onto the chassis, i can get it blasted off another crowd but not too confident in cleaning out the inners of the chassis.
    I would prefer to give it to one company and let them sort it out, any help be great on recommendations around Munster or Leinster or suggestions, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

I have a chassis off a 4x4 that i would like to either get galvanised but running into a problem as all the companies i rang said i need to get someone to remove the paint and make sure the inside of the legs are clean and free from muck and dirt.
    I got the impression from most of them thats its my problem if the galv dont work right onto the chassis, i can get it blasted off another crowd but not too confident in cleaning out the inners of the chassis.
    I would prefer to give it to one company and let them sort it out, any help be great on recommendations around Munster or Leinster or suggestions, thanks.

You're better off do it yourself. I don't trust anyone with work I can't check after. A power hose with tiny holes drilled in the hose line works well. It be 2 days work from start to finish if there's no cutting out and welding to be done. Then paint and use some sort of waxoyl or similar. Zinc 182 is a good paint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The fella that will blast it said he would paint it and he is a very good painter, could wax oil the inners myself then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

The fella that will blast it said he would paint it and he is a very good painter, could wax oil the inners myself then.

That's fair enough. At least then ya know for sure.

Id prefer to get it galvanised though, why they have no in house blasters and people to prep for galvanising i don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Id prefer to get it galvanised though, why they have no in house blasters and people to prep for galvanising i don't know.

Not worth their time messing with rusty steel, they are busy enough dipping freshly made stuff. And they won't dip dirty steel as the fumes that can be released can be toxic for the workers + there's an explosion risk.

If funds allow, get it dip stripped - they will dip the entire chassis, stripping both inner and outer surfaces, then get it galvanised. Downside to that is they are all UK based - so shipping needs to be paid for.

• Advertisement

Not worth their time messing with rusty steel, they are busy enough dipping freshly made stuff. And they won't dip dirty steel as the fumes that can be released can be toxic for the workers + there's an explosion risk.

I never said the chassis was rusty, 2 crowds i rang in cork had a turn around time of a couple of days so they aren't that busy now. Never knew mud and dirt could be explosive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I never said the chassis was rusty, 2 crowds i rang in cork had a turn around time of a couple of days so they aren't that busy now. Never knew mud and dirt could be explosive.

You should have no bother getting it done so.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

would you get it sandblasted and powder coated instead?

hiluxman wrote: »
    would you get it sandblasted and powder coated instead?

Its the inside of the chassis i want to future proof, like alot of chassis they rot from the inside out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

What vehicle is is out of interest?

I've used a massive galvanising place in the UK which did the whole process, mate had a LR chassis done and I had loads of small stuff done. Trouble is you had to nag them about quality or the bits would come back with a rough finish where they hadn't skimmed the tank properly, also had a fuel tank carrier that came back having had an RSJ dropped on it.

• Advertisement

Its a pajero chassis, its a jap one i am restoring, have the body off it and another saturday will have the chassis down bare.
    Shipping it to the uk and back would blow my budget.

Advertisement