Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Cadetship Medical (Eye Test)

Options
  • 27-03-2012 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Has anyone done a medical for a cadetship recently?

Other than eye sight, and colour vision, what tests are done on your eyes in the medical for the ARMY cadetships??

In the cadetship booklet it says that if you have had "incisional surgery" or lazer surgery on your eyes you are considered ineligable for the cadetship. I'm specifically asking people who have done the medical in recent years, how do they check for this? Did they look closely at your eyes for scars of any sort or make you look into something where they can look closely at your eyes? Or did they just make you fill out a questionnaire where you answer yes/no to questions like that?

When I was very young I was on holidays in Spain and when I was at the beach a huge wave crashed into my face bringing with it some rather large sharp shards of shell. I had lumps of sharp shell caught in both of my eyes and it was excruciatingly painful and it took me and my parents a long time to get them out. I was at an opticians recently and she said that she could see scar tissue in my eyes and that it looked identical to the kind of scars that you would have from having 'incisionary' surgery done on my eyes. So I'm asking does anyone know if the Army GP's look for scar tissue in your eye? Do they examine your eyes quite closely? Or do they just rely on your answer in the questionnaire?

I've never had surgery on my eyes but now I have scars in both of my eyes that make it look exactly like I have had surgery to correct my eyes in some way to the trained eye. Will they believe me in the Army if I tell them the truth and why I have eye scars or will the just assume I'm lying and fail me?.. also. If they do believe me, would having had my eyes cut in the past with the shell incident make me ineligable for a cadetship?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Just to point out, it says "incisional surgery to fix visual acuity" (or something like that). So I'm imagine there wouldn't be a problem with having surgery for something like an eye muscle problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ECSD

JimBob278 wrote: »
    Has anyone done a medical for a cadetship recently?

Other than eye sight, and colour vision, what tests are done on your eyes in the medical for the ARMY cadetships??

In the cadetship booklet it says that if you have had "incisional surgery" or lazer surgery on your eyes you are considered ineligable for the cadetship. I'm specifically asking people who have done the medical in recent years, how do they check for this? Did they look closely at your eyes for scars of any sort or make you look into something where they can look closely at your eyes? Or did they just make you fill out a questionnaire where you answer yes/no to questions like that?

When I was very young I was on holidays in Spain and when I was at the beach a huge wave crashed into my face bringing with it some rather large sharp shards of shell. I had lumps of sharp shell caught in both of my eyes and it was excruciatingly painful and it took me and my parents a long time to get them out. I was at an opticians recently and she said that she could see scar tissue in my eyes and that it looked identical to the kind of scars that you would have from having 'incisionary' surgery done on my eyes. So I'm asking does anyone know if the Army GP's look for scar tissue in your eye? Do they examine your eyes quite closely? Or do they just rely on your answer in the questionnaire?

I've never had surgery on my eyes but now I have scars in both of my eyes that make it look exactly like I have had surgery to correct my eyes in some way to the trained eye. Will they believe me in the Army if I tell them the truth and why I have eye scars or will the just assume I'm lying and fail me?.. also. If they do believe me, would having had my eyes cut in the past with the shell incident make me ineligable for a cadetship?

Lad don't worry about it....seriously say nothing and they won't even check...

Advertisement