Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying salt

Options
  • 22-11-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where i could buy a couple of ton of loose salt in limerick or surrounding area,pick it up myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

tipptom wrote: »
    Anybody know where i could buy a couple of ton of loose salt in limerick or surrounding area,pick it up myself.

dunno about that quntity but b&q are selling small household bags for €9.70

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do roadstone do stuff like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Ill give them a ring in gooig,thanks.

no roadstone dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

most dairygold co ops stock it, for the odd farmer to cure bacon.

• Advertisement

Yes, but only in bags(25kg typically),i want to buy it loose and bag it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ring the Irish International Trading company in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

does the council do it.

I know Cavan County Council was taking orders for salt to be distributed about the country to interested parties. Maybe your council also has a similar scheme?

Didnt think council would sell privatly,will phone them and the crowd in cork,thanks guys,will let you know how i got on.

Yes, but only in bags(25kg typically),i want to buy it loose and bag it myself.

Planning a little business venture for the upcoming winter? :)

• Advertisement

Yea,small little window,thought i might bag some and see could i get some in to petrol garages and busy shops,impulse buy sort of thing,what do you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Well tom, with the current night-time temperatures (and it's still only november) and the memory of last winter still fresh in peoples minds you could be onto something there.
    Let us know how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Great idea.
    If you'd had a few hundreds of tons of the stuff last year, you'd have done well in January!

Fair play.

Lidl were selling 5kg (i think) bags of salt this evening in shannon. Deicer, scrapers etc too. Forgot to check the price.

Yea,heard about lidl,took a bit of wind out of my sail,how much was their 5 kilo bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Mix the salt with sharp sand and it will work better.

You might consider sand bag supply for upcoming floods. Most hardware stores ran out of them on the first day of flooding.

Every cloud etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yea,heard about lidl,took a bit of wind out of my sail,how much was their 5 kilo bag.

Just got a bag, €2.99 for 5 kg.

Yea,thought about the sharp sand,plus my salt would go further but i was thinking could i still package it as de icer salt,what would be the mix and would the damp sand melt the salt in the bag.
    Sandbags a good idea very time consuming,bulky,and a very small window,hope we dont get the weather youu expecting.

Just an update,thanks for the tip cj,went down to that crowd in cork and got a ton,googled all over and did not come across them,so just get bags now and get going,keep ye posted.

Advertisement