Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old group cert?

Options
  • 19-04-2006 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

does anyone on here remember the group cert?
    i think it was a trial before the inter cert its self.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

does anyone on here remember the group cert?
    i think it was a trial before the inter cert its self.

Yes I remember it well but I didn't sit it myself. In our school it was usually for pupils who were deemed to be less academic. We did Latin and Greek and they did woodwork and metalwork. I think it originated for those who were leaving at 14/15 to do an aprenticeship.

I don't know when it was abolished but it was still going in 1983/1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

I don't believe it was a trial. I distinctly recall the smart kids doing the inter cert and the ehh... "challenged" ones doing the group cert. It was a given that the "challenged" kids weren't going on to do the leaving cert since they wouldn't have had the required level of knowledge, i.e. inter cert level, to hit the ground running.

Advertisement