Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistics...

Options
  • 10-04-2006 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hey there this is the story im doin a project and i need to gather some statistics together on why there is such a huge decrease in the number of students who do junior cert higher level maths compared to the number of students who do higher leaving cert maths. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Also any comments on grinds...do you think they are worthwhile/too expensive/peer pressure too do them.
    thank a mil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Simple. its much more difficult at leaving cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i did higher for the junior cert, and got a B, but after 4th year i dropped down. i dont like maths at all, and didnt want the extra hassle, so i put no effort into maths anymore (JC higher gives a GREAT basis for ord. leaving... doing very little work i got an A1 in the mocks...) and instead concentrate on my other subjects i find more interesting..

grinds?
    i dont think theres any peer pressure at all to get them, its up to the individual :)

i've never gotten any so i cant commetn on if they're worthwhile, but everyone i know who gets them would swear by them i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

emma.oshea wrote:
    hey there this is the story im doin a project and i need to gather some statistics together on why there is such a huge decrease in the number of students who do junior cert higher level maths compared to the number of students who do higher leaving cert maths. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Leaving Cert HL Maths has a reputation for being very hard. It's one of the premier Higher Level subjects for the Leaving Cert. I think it scares a lot of students.
    Also any comments on grinds...do you think they are worthwhile/too expensive/peer pressure too do them.
    Worthless. If you have the interest, you'll do well in school alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

maths:
    higher level is very demanding at lc, even if you do have the interest in it. its a long and difficult course and i think you have to have a head for numbers to do well in it.
    A lot of students drop to ordinary for the leaving cert to devote more attention to subjects which they feel are easier/more beneficial for them.

grinds;
    never had any myself, but am doing well without. they are too expensive and most teachers are more than willing to go through anything you need help with after class anyway if you have the initiative to ask.
    saying that,i do know a lot of people who swear by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

Leaving cert higher leaving maths is very difficult, it takes up too much time and affects your other subjects. I dropped back to pass maths recently, but my main reason for doing so was a bullying teacher. And it now feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Leaving Cert Higher Maths is insanely hard. This is why UL offer bonus points for it, and why you used to get bonus points for it anywhere in the old LC system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

maths is useless, what the point of it?

if u can add, subtract, divide and multiply your sorted. who needs x's and y's and square roots and all that rubbish? :mad:

56% of statistics are lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

smemon wrote:
    maths is useless, what the point of it?

if u can add, subtract, divide and multiply your sorted. who needs x's and y's and square roots and all that rubbish? :mad:

56% of statistics are lies.

What a stupid statement. You sound like a 7 year old.

Maths is more of a personal challenge at leaving cert level than anything. If you don't like it, there is absolutely no point in doing it (unless of course, you need it for your course). You have to put in a lot of hours and have to enjoy doing it.

As for there being no point to maths. wtf. The majority of the world wouldn't work without maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

TimAy wrote:
    If you don't like it, there is absolutely no point in doing it (unless of course, you need it for your course). You have to put in a lot of hours and have to enjoy doing it.

first of all, it's compulsary, ive no choice but to do maths. im good at maths but dont enjoy them and couldnt b arsed doing them tbh.

seriously, how does finding the equation of a line help me in life? or simultaneous equations? excuse my ignorance but it doesnt help at all, unless i want to become a maths teacher.

if you can add, subtract, multiply and divide, the majority of people will be grand in life. a bit of cop on is all thats needed in life, maths takes that cop on and filters it out until it gets a pinpoint answer. the reason being ????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Maths is very useful. I thought the same as you once upon a time. I'll take your example as mine. Linear equations are very useful in many aspects of life.

I'm an economist-in-training; and will use them everyday. This is whether I want to predict correlation between advertising and sales; to optimise production under budget (and other) constraints; to estimate prices in a market theoretically; to track share price changes; to quantify effects of changes in policy....

If you go into management, a simple use of linear equations is minimising waiting times in a queue.

AFAIK it's vital to computing as well. I'm sure I need not go into the uses if you go into engineering/science.

Obviously if you become an art director it'll be of no use to you, but LC Maths is really a "fundamentals" course that opens you up to very useful areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement