Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title vs Title Matches. Your thoughts, memories and musings.

Options
  • 08-08-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

So as we gear up for Summerslam we are looking at a possible dual main event, wherein one match could feature two champions facing off. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins and United States Champion John Cena. Previous to this, we had Cena embroiled in a feud with another champ, NXT Champion Kevin Owens, where the upstart went toe to toe with the seasoned vet. What are some of your favourite or most memorable Champion vs Champion matches? Did they end up with double champions? Unifications? What follow on effects did they have. Any discussion on any programme, feud or match where two champions with head to head is welcome. Even your thoughts on future ones or missed opportunities would be great to hear.

Here's some you may remember

The biggest unification bout of them all featured WWF Champion taking on Intercontinental Champion Ultimate Warrior.

European Champion Jeff Hardy went one on one with arch nemesis and IC Champion Rob Van Dam in a ladder match

Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle went head to head for literally every belt in TNA in this bout

Taz invented the FTW or F*ck The World Title when he couldn't get a shot at Shane Douglas for the ECW Title. He went on to have a legendary feud with Sabu, in which the two titles were unified
    9856974.jpg?199

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Cena/Rollins is not a unification, only title vs title with screwjob CO/DQ finish in play. They've built up the US open challenge as a good segmen6on Raw. Rollins on the other hand has been dire even for a heel.

Early nostalgia memory of a title vs title match besides WM6 was the In Your House 3 triple header when they promised either new WWF, IC or tag champs. New tag champs were crowned on the show but later overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't know how I forgot to mention Kurt Angle, the finest ever Eurocontinental Champion. Fun storyline and he ended up losing both titles in one match without being beaten. Great craic.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS9KP4T_Oyw7ANO4FcMkMaVo-fWbW56lLyiPot_o6W8KIdBmA1

Oh, and D'lo Brown unified them too... but he doesn't count. According to Kurt.

tumblr_mjlq7seSn21rkf4k0o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It'll always be the Hulk vs Warrior one for me will never forget it as I didn't like Hogan at all back then but I was still gobsmacked when Warrior beat him, I don't think I'd ever seen Hogan been beaten by anyone up to then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

HHH vs Kane was one. Kane was the IC champ at the time, Haitch the World Champ. When Hunter won, the IC title was retired for a while.

Dunno if that counts

• Advertisement

Another one, I'm not sure counts but sure, I'll throw it out there.

Jericho vs Angle vs Crispin Wah, triple threat for both the IC and European championships

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How about the night Jericho became the Undisputed champion? I loved that moment where Jericho is celebrating having just beaten Rock for the World Title and then Austin's music hits almost immediately and Jericho realises he has to fight once again and without any breather.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Don't remember whether the match was any good, but at Backlash 2001 we had Stone Cold and Triple H vs The Undertaker and Kane, with the WWF, Intercontinental and Tag Team Championships all on the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The best title unification match I have seen was in ROH between Bryan Danielson and Nigel McGuinness. Danielson holding the ROH World Title, McGuinness the ROH Pure Title.

The match was in Liverpool and was one of the greatest I have ever seen even if it does make me uncomfortable for some of the spots, namely Danielson pulling Nigels head into the ring post about 10 times. No mystery as to why his career was so short. Idiotic spots like that is why. Nigel was the home hero so the dynamic had him very much the babyface. Match ended with Danielson delivery tonnes of elbows to the Nigels head and the ref called it.

Danielson was double champion and the Pure title was retired immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Jay Lethal beat Jay Briscoe at Best in the World 2015 to unify the ROH Television Championship & World Championship.
    720x405-jaylethal_worldchamp.jpg

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    The best title unification match I have seen was in ROH between Bryan Danielson and Nigel McGuinness. Danielson holding the ROH World Title, McGuinness the ROH Pure Title.

The match was in Liverpool and was one of the greatest I have ever seen even if it does make me uncomfortable for some of the spots, namely Danielson pulling Nigels head into the ring post about 10 times. No mystery as to why his career was so short. Idiotic spots like that is why. Nigel was the home hero so the dynamic had him very much the babyface. Match ended with Danielson delivery tonnes of elbows to the Nigels head and the ref called it.

Danielson was double champion and the Pure title was retired immediately.

Bryan talks about this in his book - I really must look this match up!

Ageyev wrote: »
    Cena/Rollins is not a unification, only title vs title with screwjob CO/DQ finish in play. They've built up the US open challenge as a good segmen6on Raw. Rollins on the other hand has been dire even for a heel.

Early nostalgia memory of a title vs title match besides WM6 was the In Your House 3 triple header when they promised either new WWF, IC or tag champs. New tag champs were crowned on the show but later overturned.

Pretty much confirmed it was the plan on Raw last night during Seth's promo.

Advertisement