Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick O'Connor. Royal Munster Fusiliers

Options
  • 04-07-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

I've had no luck finding my relative's WW1 service record on Ancestry, so I presume it didn't survive. But given I know the below details about him, are there any other ways I could find more about his time in the war?

Patrick O'Connor.
    B. about 1895, Kerry.
    Served with Royal Munster Fusiliers.
    Received shrapnel wounds.
    Survived and when he returned, was given a home in the Gap of Dunloe by the British Army (possibly under the Irish Sailors and Soldiers Land Trust).
    Died around 1929 due to complications with the shrapnel wounds.

I also know his wife and child's name.

Any push in the right direction appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Silver War Badge entry for 5935 Patrick O'Connor, RMF. Discharged as a result of wounds.

No indication if this was your man but only one with SWB. No service or pension record to tally with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

Silver War Badge entry for 5935 Patrick O'Connor, RMF. Discharged as a result of wounds.

No indication if this was your man but only one with SWB. No service or pension record to tally with this.

Cheers.
    Are all of the records for the SWB intact? Did everybody who was discharged due to wounds receive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

if discharged early, generally the SWB was issued.

Your best bet for further info is possibly the pension data with the WFA

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/about-the-wfa/175-pension-records/2961-pension-record-cards-manual-lookup-request.html

Any medals still in the family? His service number would be inscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

if discharged early, generally the SWB was issued.

Your best bet for further info is possibly the pension data with the WFA

Any medals still in the family? His service number would be inscribed.

Lovely thanks. I'll have a look into getting his pension data record then. I've also read through the war diary for the 8th Batt but no mention of O'Connor unfortunately.

The medals are lost in the family somewhere I'm afraid. If I did have his service number, would there be much more information I could get?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Numanoid817

If you had his service number then you would be able to get his Medal Index Card, This would tell you his medal entitlement and also his date of entry into the war and whether or not he was awarded the SWB. You menton 8th Battalion so i'm assuming this is part of the information you already have on him. As mentioned earlier maybe this is your man as his number indicates service with the 8th Bn RMF

First name - Patrick
    Last name - O'Connor
    Service number - 8/5935
    Rank - Private
    Badge number - 96049
    Enlistment date - 25-Mar-1915
    Discharge date - 28-Aug-1916
    Unit from which discharged - Royal Munster Fusiliers
    Cause of discharge - Wounds, 392 (xvi) King's Regulation
    Whether served overseas - Yes
    Badge date of issue - 05-Jan-1917
    Record set - Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920