Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tablet for complete technophobe parent!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

cormie wrote: »
    But working with the iPad in what way? There's only so much that can be done with an iPad in terms of customisation. What would you suggest be done that could make it better suited to this particular user?

I'm sure the posters who presented screenshots of iPads above know far more about it than I do and if that's the extent of customisation, then it's simply not enough. I'm not prepared to adapt to Apple at off chance it may be possible to get a good result, there was enough evidence provided here that made it clear it's simply not possible to do the extent of customisations as it is with Android. Add that to the fact that I'm going to be the one keeping this device fresh and it also needs to flow with the way I work. Apple's system would interfere with the way I manage my computer and as I said, I already witnessed first hand irritating problems when my brother first transferred files to the iPad that left me thinking I could never have such a program anywhere near my system.

For somebody happy with what iTunes and apple provide, maybe an iPad would be better but in this case with myself and the user the tablet is intended for requiring that much more, I believe the best decision has been made.

Off the top of my head turn off the lock screen so they only have to press the power button to turn on the iPad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

bandit197 wrote: »
    Its a little messy but it should work from micro HDMI to Scart using this method.

I don't know anything about the UPC tv boxes so cant help you there.

I can confirm that it works very well when connected to a HDMI port on the tv.

Just looking back at this, VGA doesn't support audio, right? But scart does? So Would I be leaving one of them cables unplugged from the scart and putting a 3.5 jack to RCA cable in it instead to get the sound from the xoom to the tv?

Found this also, looks like the best value one available to Ireland: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-HDMI-D-Type-Input-VGA-Output-Port-Projector-Adapter-Cable-Chipset-/230781221031?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35bba1f8a7

Got a phone call off my mam...

Her: That iPad (she means the xoom, but now every tablet to her is an iPad) is addictive, I was up till 2am looking up a b and c
    Me: On youtube?
    Her: On Google

That's excellent to me, I didn't really give any time to show her how to Google things, wanted her to just get used to it with music and photos first, but I guess she figured it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

If she got used to a Xoom, then surely to god with a little bit of training, she would have managed an iPad.

I love Android phones, but I think the Android tablet situation is a bit of a minefield. The iPad is still the winner.

Another phone call off me ma saying how she was singing an old song to herself the other day and that she didn't know who sang it or anything but was able to find it on Google and listen to it on youtube. This is exactly why I wanted the tablet, before she would have been ringing me asking me what's that song, can I get it on cd for her etc etc. I think it's proven now that android CAN be a solution for a technophobe and one doesn't have to resort to Apple, especially one who doesn't want itunes etc going near their computer or any extra software or hassle.

Advertisement