Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Froyo VillainRom for Hero released

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Anyone tried it yet? Any feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

No flash 10.1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Installed it last night. No problems yet, seems pretty quick. Camera doesn't work properly (not that I used it too much anyway) and aesthetically its not much different from a regular vanilla ROM. Lets see how the battery is after 24 hours use....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

So is this worth the install? I am quite happy with running VillainROM 10 on my Hero at the mo.

Nope, wait until the teething issues are sorted out. There is no trackball or led blink when you get an SMS/Email/Missed Call, and the phone got a bit laggy this morning and I had to reboot.

Hold out for the next version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

also there is no sense with this rom which is why its faster.

i have iit on my hero its working fine except the stock camera app but camera magic works to some degree

these guys are pushing the hero to the limits

Any freezes, dunworth? I have a feeling its a widget that's trying to update itself (Weather Bug, Pure Calendar/Grid etc.)

I might wait for the next release and try it again (without those widgets).

Edit: Looks like 1.1 is out now. I'll be reading XDA/VillainRom during the day to see if the slowdowns are fixed.

was going performing a nand backup of VR12 yesterday and accidently selected the USB-MS toggle in recovery, ever since my phone wont connect via USB to my pc so reckon i may as well try out this Froyo ROM soon enough see if that fixes the issue!

I had that problem before (a few months ago on one of my many ROM installations). If you download "Auto Mount Your SD Card" from the android market, it should fix it for you.

Mr E wrote: »
    I had that problem before (a few months ago on one of my many ROM installations). If you download "Auto Mount Your SD Card" from the android market, it should fix it for you.

Cheers, downloaded, will try it later when i get home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Running Froyo VillainRom for the last week. Not that bad but a bit slow. I belive there's a new kernel on the way that should sort out the slowness.

They've narrowed the slowness down to this module:

Name: /system/bin/akmd
    UID: compass

They're working on a fix... Not going to install again until its fixed.

ya there is a bit of unresponsiveness every now and again but that is common with first releases

FV 1.1.1 due later today with a bunch of fixes (including the compass bug).

FV 1.1.1 due later today with a bunch of fixes (including the compass bug).

sorry jumped ahead of myself

1.1.1 came out a couple of hours ago. Here are all the changes from 1.1 and 1.1.1 (everything from the last 24 hours):
    From 1.1.1

* Multi-touch restored to improved touchscreen driver
    * Applied workaround for akmd running at 100% cpu utilisation (Thanks alankila)
    * Fixed GMail app resolution
    * VillainROM Updater now works
    * Compcache enable/disable script fixed (compcache on by default)
    * HTC Sense ringtones added

From 1.1.0
    # Custom OC kernel with fixed touch input (that's right, the age old AOSP touchscreen driver causing high CPU usage is fixed!)
    # Custom FroydVillain Wallpaper + some images
    # Works with EXT partition
    # All HTC & Stock Android Ringtones, message, alarm, notification tones, etc.
    # Great Open GL and overall ROM performance
    # Fancy Widget (HTC style clock)
    # Launcher Pro
    # USB and Wifi tether apps added to work around inbuilt option not working
    # NubDial added to allow T9 searches
    # Facebook sync issue fixed
    # 3G indicator now shows H symbol for HSDPA connections
    # Gallery -somewhat- fixed when rotating, still a bit iffy
    # Dictionary suggestions fixed in stock keyboard
    # HTC IME MOD keyboard added, no voice input
    # Missing fonts added to resolve symbols being displayed incorrectly
    # Overclocking problems in Froyd 1.0 resolved in the kernel

Might be giving this a spin in the morning....

Typical. Updated to 1.1.0 an hour before that was released. Seems to require a full wipe

Dingatron wrote: »
    Typical. Updated to 1.1.0 an hour before that was released. Seems to require a full wipe

ya otherwise wifi wont work

How are people getting on with this ROM? 1.2 due out soon according to twitter, thinking it might be time for an upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Hows the Froyd VillianROM working out? Any issues with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Anybody have froyo on the hero? How is it working out?

Cheers

i have it since the villain team released it in the beginning it was buggy as to be expected and the camera wasn't working

but yesterday they released a new version froydvillain 1.1.9

and this fixes the camera problems

my phone runs faster then with sense on it.

my only gripes are that things like the dialing app are much better on sense even tough you can get pretty good replacements in the market

I flashed 1.1.9 two days ago. Weird without the Sense UI but everybody raves about LauncherPro so am willing to give it a go, prob aint using half the features of it.

I came from VillainRom12 which is easily the best rom I tried, everything worked, battery lasted and was very responsive. I banjaxed my SD card when transferring files and figured since i was having to format my SD card might as well try out something different.

Froyd aint as nippy for me at the mo tho. You have to flash a new kernel, i picked the 19mhz - 691mhz one, my phone is laggy when I unlock it. Using the CpuSpeed app hasnt helped. Think I'll try the 352mhz - 691mhz kernel, see how that goes, if no joy I'll be back to VR12.

I dont really see the benefits of Froyo on the Hero if ya can't get flash 10.1 working, or am i missing something? :confused:

Installed 1.2.1 this morning. Very solid performance. I can't see any speed differences between this and VanillaEclair 4, which I've been using for the last month (and that's a good thing - VE4 was fast). Camera is working, all apps are working, no slowdowns. Looks like a keeper.

With Titanium Backup, restoring my apps was very painless (they warn against using googles own backup/restore because it slows the phone down).

On a sidenote, I love the new Launcher Pro Plus widgets too (up to 4 now). A new SMS widget was added last night.

Let me know how it runs for you. Still on 1.1.9 its fast enough but do get force closes and it kinda freezes sometimes, hoping 1.2.1 irons all this out, have to do a full wipe tho :-(

Have 1.2.1 running since yesterday and its a keeper alright. Everything working for me and very FAST! Having a slow up with NewsRob syncing but its not related as far as I can see. Any recommendations for a replacement for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Had no luck installing 1.2.1 - did a full wipe, and flashed the ROM along with the 352-691 kernel. When I rebooted it just showed Hero onscreen and didn't get any further in over an hour (left it overnight, but the battery ran out at some stage.) Started up this morning and it got as far as the boot animation (very cool, btw), and the stopped. Again left it for over an hour without any change.

Gave up then and restored the backup. Might try again later.

Had no luck installing 1.2.1 - did a full wipe, and flashed the ROM along with the 352-691 kernel. When I rebooted it just showed Hero onscreen and didn't get any further in over an hour (left it overnight, but the battery ran out at some stage.) Started up this morning and it got as far as the boot animation (very cool, btw), and the stopped. Again left it for over an hour without any change.

Gave up then and restored the backup. Might try again later.

what are you upgrading from

I flashed the ROM first, set up my google account and all my apps, and then flashed the kernel.

Over 30 hours since switching over, and I'm on 48% battery (WiFi or Data on at all times). Pretty good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

dunworth1 wrote: »
    what are you upgrading from

VR12.

Yeah, was thinking the problem might have been flashing both at the same time. I'll give it a go without the kernel tomorrow.

I flashed the ROM first, set up my google account and all my apps, and then flashed the kernel.

Over 30 hours since switching over, and I'm on 48% battery (WiFi or Data on at all times). Pretty good!

Hmmm. I did a full wipe, flashed ROM, flashed kernel, partitioned SD card. Having some serious problemo's tho. Force closes a lot, gets stuck on some screens.

Now I cant even download apps I've purchased. This happened for me on 1.1.9, read somewhere to enter your CVC number for credit card on google account again, did it and worked. But with 1.2.1 the download doesnt even get to as far as authorization scree, download starts and cancels in less than a second.

Dont know if I've just been unlucky or if I'm doing something wrong, have even formated my SD card, twice, but FroydVillain been nothing but a world of pain for me. Pity cause when its working it is very fast :(

oh and on top of that, for the 3rd time today when browsing, try to zoom in on the page when not fully loaded, phone has frozen, battery out, i'm going back to VR 12 this avo

Did you do a full wipe (factory reset, wipe dalvik, wipe ext)?
    I assume ext is covered since you formatted your SD...

Did you tick the box on setup that said "Use google for backup/restore" (or something like that?) - you shouldn't do that with froyo.

ya the battery is amazing i forgot to charge my ohine on night and manged to make it all the next day aswell

Did you tick the box on setup that said "Use google for backup/restore" (or something like that?) - you shouldn't do that with froyo.

Yeah I wiped everything before flashing both 1.1.9 & 1.2.1, including the ext.

Read that alright about the google backup/restore so unticked that box each time as well.

Really dont know what I'm doing wrong. I might give it one more quick go tonight. I presume partitioning the SD card is the same as for 2.1, swap=0, ext=512mb, remainder FAT.

PC aint picking up hero when connected by USB now either, auto-mount doesnt correct it, GPS has never behaved since I moved to Froyd, I'm in a whole world of pain!!! :mad:

Thanks for the help tho!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Installed it this morning, I think I selected that option. Any idea where the setting is to disable it?
    Liking it so far. Weird not having Sense. I haven't used Linpack up to now, whats a good result? Im getting around 4.3. No apps are restored yet if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Settings / Privacy.

1.2.2 is out. Its in the OTA application, so its a pretty painless update.
    * Framework fixes for the GPSLocatorService that fix an issue causing a hang/crash when GPS was obtaining initial fix and location update.
    * CPUSpeed no longer supports a screen off profile. See below for details.
    * Updated lib_htcril.so to improve GSM switching, -should- also fix the people experiencing GPS+GSM not working.
    * Kernel updated to fix some regression bugs in the USB stack, ARM code issues and to prevent the camera app clogging the IO bus.

1.2.2 is out. Its in the OTA application, so its a pretty painless update.

As George Hook would say, I'm in love with a piece of technology!

Went to backup to VR12 last night, but nand restore wouldnt work, so said feck it, i'll give Froyd another go. Didnt do everthing at once, as in flash rom, kernel, partition, left a reboot or two between each stage. Only gripe was GPS was still dodgy, just did the OTA above, my very first one, and GPS locked on within seconds. Hope I aint getting ahead of myself but I'm very optimistic about this being a keeper! :D

Good stuff! Its great to have stable froyo on the Hero.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I installed this on a hero a week or so ago, and it's fine except random force closes time to time and phone reboots :/

But the main problem is the clock on the phone just seems to bounce around. So setting an alarm is a huge problem. Might this have to do with this kernel choice? I have to admit, I have no idea how to figure out what kernel to choose?

Any advice?

• Advertisement

Saadyst wrote: »
    I installed this on a hero a week or so ago, and it's fine except random force closes time to time and phone reboots :/

But the main problem is the clock on the phone just seems to bounce around. So setting an alarm is a huge problem. Might this have to do with this kernel choice? I have to admit, I have no idea how to figure out what kernel to choose?

Any advice?

the clock problem was a bug at the start installed one of the fixed kernels
    and all should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the clock problem was a bug at the start installed one of the fixed kernels
    and all should be fine

Cheers will try that tonight.

I'm alright with just the rom then? Do I need to worry about the choice of kernels etc?

GPS still a bit dodgy for me :o , but from reading XDA seems to be a widespread problem. Dont think i'm going to do too much customising with 1.2.2, think I'll just wait until 1.3 comes out.

Really is a constant struggle all this updating roms craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Is there a place where you can pay for a rooting service, like the Apple jailbreaking ones? I would love froyo on my hero.

Via twitter Ninpo said 1.3 should be out today. Will be giving it a go, dont know why but with my last flash mybackup pro didnt restore market links, so any excuse to try something new! :D

New Froyd out today (1.3).
    I'll upgrade tomorrow if there are no major issues....

Personally I'd love to see a stripped back version without all the extra apps included. If I want those apps, I'll install them myself.

Froyd 1.4 came out during the night. I'm getting quick at wiping and installing these days. Pretty painless with Titanium. :)

Froyd 1.4 came out during the night. I'm getting quick at wiping and installing these days. Pretty painless with Titanium. :)

I dunno, even using a backup app its making my head hurt!

When you do a nand backup, do you do just a nand backup or a nand + ext? I'm presuming when you've Apps2SD you should / need to do a nand + ext?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

So am thinking that it might be time to switch over to this. Has been nice having the same ROM for a while (VR12) and not having to wipe/flash every couple of weeks, but starting to get a bit restless and think I need a change.

What I wanted to ask is:
    I have Swype Beta, as this is closed now will I be able to re-install it if I use Titanium on FroydVillain 1.4, and if I decide to revert to the nandroid backup, will it still be there?

Cheers

flugel wrote: »
    When you do a nand backup, do you do just a nand backup or a nand + ext? I'm presuming when you've Apps2SD you should / need to do a nand + ext?? :confused:

I just wipe all (system, ext, dalvik). Titanium restores all (apart from widgets).
    Zagato wrote: »
    What I wanted to ask is:
    I have Swype Beta, as this is closed now will I be able to re-install it if I use Titanium on FroydVillain 1.4, and if I decide to revert to the nandroid backup, will it still be there?

I'm on the swype beta list, and haven't used it for about a month (it wasn't even installed). I just installed it now (with my beta username and password), no problem at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement