Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Planning Application Costs

Options
  • 22-07-2014 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Folks,

Has anyone a ball park idea of the cost of the preparation of a planning application these days? I know the planning application fee however I'd like to know roughly how much the preparation of the application would be? I know exactly what I want, I've spotted the type of house I'd like, checked up the plans on the CoCo Planning website. Would I be best placed going with the architect who prepared the initial drawings? Would this save time and money in the long run considering they already have the drawings prepared?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The plans you checked up on the coco website, were they copyright?

Why not contact the architect and get a quote.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

minty01 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Has anyone a ball park idea of the cost of the preparation of a planning application these days? I know the planning application fee however I'd like to know roughly how much the preparation of the application would be? I know exactly what I want, I've spotted the type of house I'd like, checked up the plans on the CoCo Planning website. Would I be best placed going with the architect who prepared the initial drawings? Would this save time and money in the long run considering they already have the drawings prepared?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

no all houses are suitable for all sites. You may not get planning for a particular type of house on a particular site as it might not meet the co Co's requirements on fitting into the landscape, the house footprint maybe to big, orientation of the sun may be a factor etc etc so there are many reasons why you should talk to the architect who designed the original. He clearly designed something you like so no reason to contact him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

kkelliher wrote: »
    no all houses are suitable for all sites. You may not get planning for a particular type of house on a particular site as it might not meet the co Co's requirements on fitting into the landscape, the house footprint maybe to big, orientation of the sun may be a factor etc etc so there are many reasons why you should talk to the architect who designed the original. He clearly designed something you like so no reason to not contact him.

FYP :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

FYP :)

why thank you sir :) (or madam.........)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 minty01

Cheers folks.

I'm going to contact the architect.

I've been checking out some of the house built in the area in recent years, looking at PP granted, was there any specific conditions granted. The house I'm looking to build is to a similar finish but perhaps a little smaller.

I've also put some thought into the site location in terms of visual impact, orientation of the house and also sight lines with regard to the entrance to the site.

My only reservation in seeking planning currently is the new reg's that came into force since March 1st this year, I still haven't got my head around them fully. My other half's family are builders (not sure if they are registered) and we would seek to go down the route of direct labour, will the new reg's rule this out?

Also, final question, can the architect give me an idea of building cost or do I need to speak to a QS?

• Advertisement

You need to find an assigned certifer that will work with your family of builders and your family of builders will need to be a ltd company.

You would be best to agree an outline if the design and seek advice on costs from a qs

Providing that the builders are a registered ltd. company do they need to be registered with the CIRI?

Providing that the builders are a registered ltd. company do they need to be registered with the CIRI?

Not presently but I'd expect we'll see this become mandatory in the coming years. And IMO that's not a bad thing either

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spark Plug

Anywhere between €2,400-2,800+VAT those numbers would include percolation test or newspaper notice etc.

Thanks SparkPlug. That is a little on the upper scale of what I was thinking it would be. However, given that the architect that I would be commissioning already has the plans prepared would they generally charge full whack for they're services?

I've decided on an house with is almost identical to one this particular architect would have created plans for 3/4 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spark Plug

Thanks SparkPlug. That is a little on the upper scale of what I was thinking it would be. However, given that the architect that I would be commissioning already has the plans prepared would they generally charge full whack for they're services?

I've decided on an house with is almost identical to one this particular architect would have created plans for 3/4 years ago.

I suppose the fee amount could be somewhat less given the architect will not have spend time on sketching up a design etc given you are happy with the design achieved on a previous project.

Advertisement