Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The downsides of Linux

Options
  • 30-06-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi All,

Along with my partner, I recently decided to get rid of cable TV and get a dedicated entertainment PC instead. We bought a brand new PC and installed Linux Mint.

So far, so good, it works well (apart from occasionally freezing - no worse than Windows on that front), and I'm happy to not be using Windows.

I'm now considering doing the same with my laptop - I'll be getting a new laptop soon, and want to leave Windows behind and switch to Linux on that too.

But before I take that leap, are there any downsides I should be aware of? Or is it all positive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dally wrote: »
    But before I take that leap, are there any downsides I should be aware of? Or is it all positive?

It all depends on what you want to do.

I have documented a number of issues I have had with Linux on this forum. However, I consider myself a power user and have a very broad range of needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

apart from occasionally freezing

It shouldnt, you need to find out why its freezing and fix that before you go any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Just be wary of any windows-only programs. WINE should help.

And peripherals / drivers. Do a bit of googling to ensure that they will connect!

And as another poster mentioned, might be helpful to seek out why your machine is stalling. Do some hardware tests on it. (Using a diagnostics disk eg hirens boot cd).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Dally, do you know how to access logs? Freezing af a linux box is not normal.

Can you switch to console (Ctrl-Alt-F1 /F2 and so on) after the freeze? If you can that's nor a real freeze, just windows manager/xorg crash, but it still should not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dally

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Dally, do you know how to access logs? Freezing af a linux box is not normal.

Can you switch to console (Ctrl-Alt-F1 /F2 and so on) after the freeze? If you can that's nor a real freeze, just windows manager/xorg crash, but it still should not happen.

I'm not sure. The cursor still moves. Sometimes the desktop disappears for a minute, and comes back saying 'Cinnamon has crashed'. Next time it happens I'll pay more attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I spend most of my time on the CLi or browser so find there's very little that I can't do on my linux machines. The keyboard shortcuts in Unity are almost the same as W7/W8 so it doesn't affect my workflow too much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'm not sure. The cursor still moves. Sometimes the desktop disappears for a minute, and comes back saying 'Cinnamon has crashed'. Next time it happens I'll pay more attention.
    Ok, so it's not a kernel/xorg crash, but cinnamon crash. I won't ba a good help as I use gnome.

You might check this [1]. It's not a fix for the problem, but might help you a bit.

[1] http://www.gregfreeman.org/2012/recovery-from-cinnamon-crashes-and-freezes-in-linux-mint/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi All,

Along with my partner, I recently decided to get rid of cable TV and get a dedicated entertainment PC instead. We bought a brand new PC and installed Linux Mint.

So far, so good, it works well (apart from occasionally freezing - no worse than Windows on that front), and I'm happy to not be using Windows.

I'm now considering doing the same with my laptop - I'll be getting a new laptop soon, and want to leave Windows behind and switch to Linux on that too.

Try to ensure that the hardware in the laptop is Linux compatible ...... not easy at times ...

Try to ensure that the hardware in the laptop is Linux compatible ...... not easy at times ...

How do I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Your probably using the default open-source graphics driver, go to menu > type "drivers"...it will download and install the necessary proprietary graphics driver if needed, ...might help with your cinnamon crash :)

...and be sure to have updated you fresh install, using the update applet, or
    sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade -y

followed by a reboot in a terminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

How do I do that?

Buy from someplace that will allow you to boot from a LiveUSB and check all the hardware is properly recognised, would be one suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Buy from someplace that will allow you to boot from a LiveUSB and check all the hardware is properly recognised, would be one suggestion.

Or buy a second-hand mainstream laptop. Buying cutting-edge is always going to have driver issues as development of linux/Ubuntu drivers isn't a top priority over Windows drivers. I stick to underspec'd ~2yr old systems, then upgrade the memory and HDD (and CPU if possible) to end up with a solid base for Mint. My only Windows system in the house is my work one, all others are Mint (Mate) or Ubuntu XFE.
    :)

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Your probably using the default open-source graphics driver, go to menu > type "drivers"...it will download and install the necessary proprietary graphics driver if needed

You're right - I opened the driver manager and it says 'No proprietary drivers are in use'. However, I don't see any option to find or install propriety drivers - I guess I need to find and install it manually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I'd run a software update on the machine via the command line using the following:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade

Once complete, run it again and it will most likely show some kernel upgrades that were left out. Copy those after the following:
    sudo apt-get -y install <kernel upgrades>

- will look something like linux-headers-image, will probably be a few of them. Reboot and you should be fully up to date, see how your gpu is running then.

Lastly, what sort of graphics card is in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

You're right - I opened the driver manager and it says 'No proprietary drivers are in use'. However, I don't see any option to find or install propriety drivers - I guess I need to find and install it manually?
    It depends, do a system update first anyway. If nothing appears, most likely you are using integrated graphics on your cpu, and you dont have a graphics card ?...so no need of a driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Stuxnet wrote: »
    It depends, do a system update first anyway. If nothing appears, most likely you are using integrated graphics on your cpu, and you dont have a graphics card ?...so no need of a driver :)

OP, the handiest way to check is to open a terminal and run 'lspci'. It will list hardware connected to PCI buses, including graphics cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

Have you gotten Netfix to work on your HTPC ? I found that a little tricky (for a noob).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

As it happens, Neflix just got a whole lot easier with the latest Chrome Beta and Ubuntu 14.04 or better

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/08/netflix-linux-html5-support-plugins

Works fine on Linux Mint 17 (32 bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

How do I do that?
    regafrding checking the hardware compatibility...Intel are very good. I have just bought a Dell inspiron (5000) from their site...intel processor/ memory/graphics. 1 download required from the linux repository for the broadcom wificard. Unfortunately I had to pay some dosh to Microsoft as windows was installed but that only lasted about 2 hours

I try to avoid propietary drivers as much as possible. The open source drivers should be sufficient nowadays. An update or googling would be a better option in sorting out the freezing/ crashiung

Advertisement