Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Laptop - Acer or Dell ...

Options
  • 04-02-2007 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm thinking of buying one of the following laptops. Any help?

Acer Aspire 5633WLMi from Laptopsdirect.ie @ €846
    or
    Dell Inspiron 6400 €866

===================================================

The Acer Aspire 5633WLMi combines three important elements: the latest 64bits dual-core power, stunning multimedia and effortless connectivity in a stylishly-compact entertainment system designed to provide unbeatable all-round value.

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 - 1.66GHz (x2), 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache
    * RAM: 1024MB DDR2
    * Hard Drive: 120GB Serial ATA 5400rpm
    * Screen: 15.4" Widescreen TFT (1280x800 - 16:10)with CrystalBrite Technology
    * Optical Drive: DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer
    * Graphics: NVidia GeForce Go7300 supporting 256MB TurboCache
    * Wireless LAN: 802.11a/b/g - Call for advice on Wireless Networking
    * Warranty: 1 Year - Upgradeable to 3 Years!
    * Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition - FREE Upgrade To Windows Vista
    * Windows Vista Compatible
    * PCMCIA Type II Slot
    * 5-in-1 Card Reader
    * 4 x USB Ports
    * Built-In 1.3 MegaPixel Camera

=================================================
    Inspiron 6400(N02646)

Components
    Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T2060(1.6GHz/533MHz/1MB)
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™
    1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
    9 Cell, 85Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    *Accessories
    Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11b/g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Wireless Card, for Duo Processors

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

acer looks better overall, better processor, bigger hd, better graphics, plus a built in card reader and camera....

only problem i would have with the acer is the horror stories about their service department....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Acer looks much better to me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

The Acer by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Acer by a long shot.

i've an acer and tbh i've had no reason to ring them up at all, though with dell you'll be never off the phone to them.

also the acer will work straight out of the box, whereas you'll spend hours with the dell getting all the pre-installed ****e off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Would that acer be good for Vista aero? And which version of Aero do you get with it? I sent them a mail but no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shearne

Has anybody had dealings with Laptops Direct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

Have a quick search on boards and you will find a few threads about laptops direct with differing reviews , i have a dell 6400 and had numerous problems with it , dell eventually gave me a new replacment , on the other hand my son has the exact same laptop and has had no problems , if you go with the dell get the 3 year on site warrenty as its well worth the money

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/searchbt.php?search=Laptopsdirect.ie+&order=0&user=&scope=4&cat=1&frm=-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Acer is infinitely better, no reason to choose the Dell at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Check a few threads bellow on my problems with Acer. As far as I am concerned, the customer care and the service centre are of the third world country standard. They will not give a damn about your needs. I got my Acer from laptopsidirect last year. The delivery was prompt but if you have a technical issue, they will direct you straight to the manufacturer. they tend to try and stay away of any involvement. Having said this, the Acer looks to me as a better machine but have a look out. There are other brands there beside Acer and Dell. Why not have a look at a Toshiba?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

kdouglas wrote:
    acer looks better overall, better processor, bigger hd, better graphics, plus a built in card reader and camera....

only problem i would have with the acer is the horror stories about their service department....

I've used their service department and found them very helpful - my 3 year old nephew dropped mine on the ground and broke part of the motherboard where the power cable is plugged in - they replaced it under warranty without question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Every Acer Laptop I ever checked out have been pure and utter crap.,...Stick with Dell

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭underpants

I've a similiar question. Sticking with the Acer Aspire 5633WLMi
    shearne wrote:
    The Acer Aspire 5633WLMi combines three important elements: the latest 64bits dual-core power, stunning multimedia and effortless connectivity in a stylishly-compact entertainment system designed to provide unbeatable all-round value.

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 - 1.66GHz (x2), 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache
    * RAM: 1024MB DDR2
    * Hard Drive: 120GB Serial ATA 5400rpm
    * Screen: 15.4" Widescreen TFT (1280x800 - 16:10)with CrystalBrite Technology
    * Optical Drive: DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer
    * Graphics: NVidia GeForce Go7300 supporting 256MB TurboCache
    * Wireless LAN: 802.11a/b/g - Call for advice on Wireless Networking
    * Warranty: 1 Year - Upgradeable to 3 Years!
    * Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition - FREE Upgrade To Windows Vista
    * Windows Vista Compatible
    * PCMCIA Type II Slot
    * 5-in-1 Card Reader
    * 4 x USB Ports
    * Built-In 1.3 MegaPixel Camera

=================================================

But then the second laptop I was looking at was a
    Dell Inspiron

* Processor: AMD® Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL50
    * RAM: 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    * Hard Drive: 80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive (think this is IDE)
    * Screen: 15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display: 1280x800
    * Optical Drive: Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    * Graphics: ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory
    * Wireless LAN: Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card18
    * Warranty: Collect & Return, 90 Day Service only
    * Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Acer cost €846
    or
    Dell Inspiron cost €699

Just a few points on what I was looking for. The hard drive capactiy, isn't too important cause I plan on picking up a decent external HD anyways. As for the dell coming with Vista by default, doesn't bother me either cause I have a copy of XP at home and I'll more than likely install that. Battery life on the acer is about 2 hours I think! but again, thats not important to me as I won't be traveling with the laptop. So basically it comes down to the processor and the graphics. From what I can find both are pretty similiar and if the acer has no clear advantage over the dell than its hardly worth the extra cost. But if it is better then I would gladly spend the extra dosh.
    What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

*mono* wrote:
    Every Acer Laptop I ever checked out have been pure and utter crap.,...Stick with Dell

What did you check the Acer laptops for, how many did you check and what qualifications do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

*mono* wrote:
    Funny, I was going to say the exact opposite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

underpants wrote:
    So basically it comes down to the processor and the graphics. From what I can find both are pretty similiar and if the acer has no clear advantage over the dell than its hardly worth the extra cost. But if it is better then I would gladly spend the extra dosh.
    What do you think?

The Dell is slightly inferior but in fairness it's much cheaper - unless you plan playing actual games, as the 7300, whilst poor, is better then the X1150 which is integrated, I'd opt for the Dell.

Although they're both fairly weak graphics wise so I'd probably just go for the Dell and save money anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

shearne wrote:
    Has anybody had dealings with Laptops Direct?
    Shearne,
    Ordered an LCD TV b4 Christmas from Laptops direct, was delivered a laptop+accessories instead, ongoing situation with this "terrible company", impossible to phone "once u put in your order", will not reply to emails except for "robot type response"
    They wanted us to send back laptop b4 they would send the TV, well after Xmas at this stage, eventually a girl called Rachel told my sister who contacted them, saying they were terribly sorry, we canceled the order, she told us she would reimburse the cost of sending back the laptop and refund our visa account, what did she do...............one week later the TV arrived after they agreed to cancel, now they caught us for the return of a Laptop+bitz we did not order, further than this they charged over the top 1st day, offer inc delivery to Irl from UK was supposed to be about 725€ and they charged visa nearly 780€...........a right bunch of con-people
    The only thing Irish about this company is their "link phone number" and their "rip off policy"
    AVOID laptopsdirect.ie at all costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why just Acer or Dell?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i bought an acer from laptops direct last october arrived in 2 days (needed chap laptop paid 650 for 2ghz turion 1gb ram 100gb hd 15.4 widescreen ) still going no probs so dont have anything to report on support but did hear acer suport is crap(bought three year warranty for 99 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭underpants

i bought an acer from laptops direct last october arrived in 2 days (needed chap laptop paid 650 for 2ghz turion 1gb ram 100gb hd 15.4 widescreen ) still going no probs so dont have anything to report on support but did hear acer suport is crap(bought three year warranty for 99 euro)

Just out of interest.... anyone that bought a laptop from laptopsdirect.ie, did you get the Pre Delivery Inspection??? Seems like a waste if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

underpants wrote:
    Just out of interest.... anyone that bought a laptop from laptopsdirect.ie, did you get the Pre Delivery Inspection??? Seems like a waste if you ask me.

The parts of it that are of interest are

1) guarantee no missing pixels from the screen

2) should a fault develop within the first 7 days following delivery, you are guaranteed a new swap-out at no cost to yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Scuba.ie wrote:
    Funny, I was going to say the exact opposite!

Have to agree - build quality is miles ahead on Acers I just bought an Inspiron 1501 to replace my stolen Travelmate 2300 and had to sell it again it's so rubbish even if it was cheap. A relative of mine works there and he wouldn't even buy one because they are so badly built and the components are about as cheap as you can get. Definitely going back to Acer as far as budget laptops are concerned they are the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I have an acer laptop i bought for about 1200 euro in wales around 4 years a ago. I live with someone who has a dell laptop they bought for about 1050 euro less than a year ago.

Mine is faster generally, runs games better and has a nicer screen and it seems that my battery stil lasts longer than his does, though i dont use it too much.

Id highly reccomend acer, id like to replace my laptop now, i will find the best acer for what i want and then see if i can find something better. I would not even consider looking at a dell.

One other thing if you dont want to play games on it then get one with an integrated graphics card like an intel one or you will be paying a good bit for an aspect of it you wont use. For 99% of people who dont play games an integrated graphics card is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have yet to come across a decent Acer. Every acer i have used does not even get 50 mins battery out of the box.. think about it.. that means you cant even watch a movie on it off the battery.

Where as most Dells are grand, and the inspiron 5150 that i had, gave me between 3 and 4.5 hours depending on use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Quit digging up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement