Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Got my laptop

• 24-08-2007 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭

So I just received my new laptop there, Dell Vostro 1500...

Oh, it's pretty & stuff...

Question is, what should I do? I'm gonna install MS Office (remove works) & probably install Avast! (remove the mcafee trial)

Anything else i should do with it to start with? Security wise and stuff...

(it's running vista ultimate btw)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

install AVG instead of Avast...

miles better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

someone will give you the link to it (i'm in work) but run it through the dell de-crappifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cremo wrote:
    someone will give you the link to it (i'm in work) but run it through the dell de-crappifier.
    What the hell is the Dell de-crappifier???

And is AVG defo better than avast!?? Speed wise i'm talking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dulpit wrote:
    What the hell is the Dell de-crappifier???

And is AVG defo better than avast!?? Speed wise i'm talking...
    http://www.protista.com/143003/Dell+Decrapifier.htm

basically removes the bits of crap that dell install on your laptop that basically makes it run like a three legged dog out of the box.

I'd be far more comfortable removing stuff on my own, instead of using some 3rd party app... Thanks though...

Just downloaded the Ultimate bonus game (some poker thing) wonder if it's any good...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what specs has your laptop got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If I were you I'd just do a complete format and just reinstall things you need. AVG, Adaware, Media player classic, winamp, open office, 7 zip are among the essentials for me. All free and all well capable programs:)

what specs has your laptop got?

Dell Vostro 1500
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    2GB RAM
    160GB Hard Drive...

It's lovely... :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nice....pity your graphics card aint 512mb though,is that more powerful that 7950gtx?thats the one i have im my xps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

nice....pity your graphics card aint 512mb though,is that more powerful that 7950gtx?thats the one i have im my xps :)

The 7950GTX is a more powerful GPU.

But the 8600M GT is DirectX 10 compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭pedroj

WellyJ wrote:
    But the 8600M GT is DirectX 10 compatible.

True but it has crap specks n processing ability...if u look at benchmarks alot of the 7000 Go range outperform the 8600m gt

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Only thing goin for it is its directx 10 cred but its the first batch of nvidia cards to be released as such and im sure their will be far more powerful ones released by xmas if you can hold out til then...

direct x 10 games wont even be using the full capabilities of the direct x 10 application until then and dr wont b any direct x only games for another year or so id say

if only laptops were as easy as desktops to upgrade graphic cards ;)

pedroj wrote:
    if only laptops were as easy as desktops to upgrade graphic cards ;)

Dam Straight!id say im gonna have to buy a laptop or build a new computer next yr :(

Advertisement