Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband In Kilrush.

Options
  • 03-01-2015 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭

Hi :P

When paying the €122 phone bill today we decided that it was too much and that we should switch and drop the house phone. Broadband options in kilrush are a bit limited besides the eircom/vodafone/sky. I am a heavy user and generally use in excess of 100gb. Speed is also very important, anything under 2mbps is not acceptable. Vodafone's €35 a month for unlimited broadband seems good. Is their any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Vodafone do broadband and unlimited mobile/landline calls for €60p/m

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Vodafone do broadband and unlimited mobile/landline calls for €60p/m

I mentioned that we were getting rid of the house phone. The plan your suggesting pretty much has the same bill as what we currently are paying.

An extra €25 a month is not worth it for the house phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

I'm currently using ripplecom. I get 8 down and 1 up for €45 a month. There is a 70 gb cap, but you can get another 20gb for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

I used Vodafone at home, was very very poor, cancelled in the end.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I mentioned that we were getting rid of the house phone. The plan your suggesting pretty much has the same bill as what we currently are paying.

An extra €25 a month is not worth it for the house phone.

I thought your bill was twice that?

Do you have another way of making those calls? Surely there's a reason the bill is so high now

• Advertisement

I thought your bill was twice that?

Do you have another way of making those calls? Surely there's a reason the bill is so high now

We pay the bill bimonthly.I thought Vodafone and sky would be similar.€60 a month is too much to be paying tbh.

And ripplecom is satilitte isn't it? The ping/latency would be too high especially for video calls. €45 Still doesn't match the €35 from vodafone either. Thanks for the suggestion. (€100 installation fee is quite steep too isn't it?)

Sky have a €30 package but its €50 for fibre Internet, which would be nice.

What speed do you get on vodafone now?

What speed do you get on vodafone now?

Im with eircom ATM. I get 2 Mbps outside of 10am-7pm. This is due to me being on a 3mbps Max line, they refuse to upgrade me to an 8mbps packagewithout making me pay an extra €10 a month. Which is ridiculous. I assume with Vodafone they will provide me with this 8mbps package, as it is currently in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

We pay the bill bimonthly.I thought Vodafone and sky would be similar.€60 a month is too much to be paying tbh.

And ripplecom is satilitte isn't it? The ping/latency would be too high especially for video calls. €45 Still doesn't match the €35 from vodafone either. Thanks for the suggestion. (€100 installation fee is quite steep too isn't it?)

Sky have a €30 package but its €50 for fibre Internet, which would be nice.

I play a lot of online games, ping with ripplecom is pretty good actually, average about 40ms, never had any issues with skype calls etc.
    Installation fee is steep at €100, I got it for free with a bit of coaxing. I'm sure you could manage the same.

In saying that though they are an absolute joke of a company to deal with if something goes wrong.

Im with eircom ATM. I get 2 Mbps outside of 10am-7pm. This is due to me being on a 3mbps Max line, they refuse to upgrade me to an 8mbps packagewithout making me pay an extra €10 a month. Which is ridiculous. I assume with Vodafone they will provide me with this 8mbps package, as it is currently in place.

I'd be checking that with vodafone tbh. It'd be worth posting about this in the broadband forum too.
    If you found get a few more mb speed than now, the €35 vodafone would be a no-brainer.
    If you're on 3mb (as opposed to an up to 8mb) package, I reckon you're in a non NGB area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm on Vodafone in Ennis and it's costing me €32 a month for 26mb fibre as I have a Vodafone mobile.

I'd be checking that with vodafone tbh. It'd be worth posting about this in the broadband forum too.
    If you found get a few more mb speed than now, the €35 vodafone would be a no-brainer.
    If you're on 3mb (as opposed to an up to 8mb) package, I reckon you're in a non NGB area.

Im not in an NGB area. But when I looked up my telephone number it states that I can avail of speeds up to 24mbps, so we went to the 24mbps bundle. Sadly, we got stupid speeds of up to 3mbps so I rang them very agitated. Apparently Im not in an NGB area and was switched to a lower speed bundle, but If I want to enjoy higher speeds on an 8mbps line, I would have to pay an extra €5 a month.

I found this article that has a situation similar to mine: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32526-asai-upholds-complaint-agai

As well as that, it seems they have not learned their lesson.
    I'm on Vodafone in Ennis and it's costing me €32 a month for 26mb fibre as I have a Vodafone mobile.

Id pay the extra €30 a month to avoid Vodafone on Mobile. It would actually save me €35 a month. They have ridiculously priced phone packages on Vodafone and I think it highlights the ignorance of the Irish people to not search around on phone deals and instead pay miles high prices. Although I don't think I should get into the subject as I tend to get quite snappy. Obliviously they are places where only Vodafone makes sense. But that's rare. No offence to you Clareman:P

But I will contact vodafone for broadband and see what speeds they can offer me. If i get even the same as I have now with the promise of an upgrade to Fibre, I would be happy.

I checked my mums 1mb max line and she can get 'up to' 24mb too.

I checked my mums 1mb max line and she can get 'up to' 24mb too.

Is that not false advertising in itself?

Not really. Its just the product they sell. To be fair to Vodafone they give you whatever your line will take and charge you the same either way.

The 'up to' thing is annoying alright. If you didn't know your stuff you might be very disappointed with what you end up with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No offence to you Clareman:P

None taken, it's a work phone so it's free :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Ripplecom is fixed wireless and if your line can take more 3Mbps I wouldn't even consider it. Also, Kilrush is due to get FTTC so the potential speed in future is higher, be sure to check with the provider about connecting to fibre to the cab if it becomes available, the charges and the affect on your contract.

We have Vodafone at home and never had a problem, doesn't slow down,

OP - What are your line stats like at the moment? Some lines can take a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Great site that lists local options...

http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Hi :P

When paying the €122 phone bill today we decided that it was too much and that we should switch and drop the house phone. Broadband options in kilrush are a bit limited besides the eircom/vodafone/sky. I am a heavy user and generally use in excess of 100gb. Speed is also very important, anything under 2mbps is not acceptable. Vodafone's €35 a month for unlimited broadband seems good. Is their any other options?

I have just cancelled my phone/broadband arrangement with eircom.
    I rang up eircom and got a quote for broadband only, up to 10mbps [my line I an informed can take 12.5mbps], for €30 per month.
    Funny thing is; this option is not advertised anywhere on the eircom website???
    Vodafone's offer of "unlimited" BB, I am led to believe, has a "within reason" capping to the download limit.
    When setting up my new contract, I questioned the "unlimited" limits with eircom, and was informed that it is, truly, unlimited!
    Hope this helps.

So we rang up eircom tomorrow, and we told them that we are going to vodafone, suddenly we get a free speed increase that we would of had to pay an extra €5 pm for and we will get a better deal offer friday!

• Advertisement

So we rang up eircom tomorrow, and we told them that we are going to vodafone, suddenly we get a free speed increase that we would of had to pay an extra €5 pm for and we will get a better deal offer friday!

Tread carefully, make sure you get what you're supposed to. Eircom are upping some packages soon too. Make sure you know where you stand with regards contract, cooling-off period, time frame for getting speed increase, duration of any promotions etc.

So I got my Vodafone broadband set up today! Internet speeds the same if not worse than before, despite my max speed being supposedly raised from 3mbps to 12mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 karmadealer

You can also try bbnet as they have many customers in kilkee who seem to be happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2 karmadealer

You can also try bbnet as they have many customers in kilkee who seem to be happy with them

Vodafones speeds increased after midnight to a nice 6mbps, and have stayed like that all day until 7pm and has dropped again.

BBnet has extremely high latency rates, which causes a delay in the data transfers. This makes it rather bad for usage on internet voice or video calls (Eg Viber, Skype) as there will be a prolonged delay in the data transfer compared to normal DSL broadband. DSL is also far more reliable, practical, unlimited and cheaper too.

Vodafones speeds increased after midnight to a nice 6mbps, and have stayed like that all day until 7pm and has dropped again.

BBnet has extremely high latency rates, which causes a delay in the data transfers. This makes it rather bad for usage on internet voice or video calls (Eg Viber, Skype) as there will be a prolonged delay in the data transfer compared to normal DSL broadband. DSL is also far more reliable, practical, unlimited and cheaper too.

Maybe ask to be put on the NGB profile (8Mbps) if they allow you. Might be more stable.

What are your line stats like from your router portal?

Mr. G wrote: »
    Maybe ask to be put on the NGB profile (8Mbps) if they allow you. Might be more stable.

What are your line stats like from your router portal?

My router is actually telling me the line is a 7532 (or near)kbit line. I was told I'm being put on a 12mbps, but this appears to be 8. What are your thoughts? Should I call Vodafone and see what the story is?

My router is actually telling me the line is a 7532 (or near)kbit line. I was told I'm being put on a 12mbps, but this appears to be 8. What are your thoughts? Should I call Vodafone and see what the story is?

Your line may not take more than that. Usually you are put on the highest profile that your line can support, otherwise you will suffer dropouts or the broadband won't work. What are your line stats like? (Noise etc)

Mr. G wrote: »
    Your line may not take more than that. Usually you are put on the highest profile that your line can support, otherwise you will suffer dropouts or the broadband won't work. What are your line stats like? (Noise etc)

Line standard G.dmt
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 7168
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 384
    Downstream SNR (dB) 12.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 17
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 29
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 18
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 19.1

They are my line stats.

• Advertisement

Eircom are rolling out VDSL in a lot of Clare this year according to the coverage map.

Advertisement