Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Yet another) BTEA Qualification Thread

Options
  • 15-08-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I've checked out the usual websites, but they are always so poorly worded and vague. Sometimes it's just better to get someone to actually explain things to you.

I'm 20 (21 in April) and have been on JSA for almost 2 years. I'm looking over my college options, and I'll focus on staying in Ireland and going to college first. To do this, I'd need to qualify for BTEA (as I am not elligable for any of the grants due to means testing). I previously went to college for one year but left after passing it (due to money issues).

The few things I need to know is, am I eligable, and also what does the BTEA allowance cover?

I'll need to be staying in the college because I'll be going to Galway if any and I live the other side of the country. Therefore I'd need rent allowance.

I'll also need money to live. I'd need this because if everything is arranged, and the goal of finding a job in Centra or something doesn't go through, that's me high and dry and having to return home once again.

I'd lastly need the fees to be covered, obviously.

Can anyone tell me if the BTEA covers these? I've also been told that BTEA gives you your current social welfare rate. Being 20 living at home, I'm on €41 a week, and if I was to move out there is no chance that I'd be able to afford the weekly bus trip along with the cost of living on 41.

Dying to get back into proper education so just want to look at all of my options while I can. I'm also going to be looking into colleges in Scotland at some point but I'd probably prefer to stay here you know.

Appreciate replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ConfusedGuy92

Upping.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,812 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It might be difficult to get BTEA if you dropped out of college before.

See below

http://www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/bte_all.aspx

Quote:1.14.8 Drop out of course

A BTEA participant who fails to complete, or drops out of a course will not be permitted on to the scheme to pursue a different course unless the Department is satisfied that certain circumstances pertain. The condition may be waived where there are mitigating circumstances, for which evidence must be provided, that would make it unreasonable to expect a person to have continued the course. Recovery of amounts paid may be considered

If you get BTEA it gives you 188 per week plus 300 book allowance

Again - I think if you have previously dropped out that you may have to pay full fees for the first year. You should ring SUSI and check that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It might be difficult to get BTEA if you dropped out of college before.

See below

http://www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/bte_all.aspx

Quote:1.14.8 Drop out of course

A BTEA participant who fails to complete, or drops out of a course will not be permitted on to the scheme to pursue a different course unless the Department is satisfied that certain circumstances pertain. The condition may be waived where there are mitigating circumstances, for which evidence must be provided, that would make it unreasonable to expect a person to have continued the course. Recovery of amounts paid may be considered

If you get BTEA it gives you 188 per week plus 300 book allowance

Again - I think if you have previously dropped out that you may have to pay full fees for the first year. You should ring SUSI and check that.

Thanks man, Appreciate it.

I'm sure if I go over my situation, they will be cool with my application. I passed my year, but I wasn't getting the grant and my parents were too struggled to keep giving me money. I'm since done a few FAS courses in the same area which should show inititive (is that how you spell it) to get back into full education so I could spin it to make me look great :D.

188 is great. In a small enough house it's more than enough to pay rent and eat for the week. I won't have books anyways since it'll be a computing course. Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭R_V_P 24

Hi,

I am in the same situation as you where in last year and am wondering what was the outcome from this?...Did you get the BTEA?....Can you give me any advice about going my application if i make one at the end of August?.

Cheers,
    R_V_P.

Just noticed this thread again, if only 188 was true haha.

Incase anyone ever comes across this like the lad above, I did qualify for BTEA but I get 105 a week. Still can't complain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement