Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternate funding sources: not eligible for grants

Options
  • 21-07-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been accepted into the Postgraduate Masters in Education starting in September. Fees for the course are around €11,000, spread out over 2 years. It's a full level 9 masters.

I've worked, lived and travelled abroad for the past 4 years, so am not eligible for any SUSI grants. I'm also not eligible for Back to Education (i'm 26) as I haven't been on the dole for 9 months. I can't find any other sources of grants or bursaries through contacting the college themselves, SUSI, Intreo etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any info on other places to look for grants. I've heard that sometimes private companies have bursary schemes, but haven't found anything beyond course-specific funding (most of which are for research, none for education based study).

Thanks!:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Contact the college. I've heard of situations where the college has contributed to fees in return for the student doing a thesis/project in something the college wants done.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

lollpop wrote: »
    Contact the college. I've heard of situations where the college has contributed to fees in return for the student doing a thesis/project in something the college wants done.

What's the best way of approaching this with the college? Last year, I was offered a part-time position (8 weeks) by the college I had attended as an undergrad however, I turned it down as I secured a longer position elsewhere for the year. When the head of dept. offered me the p/t position, she mentioned that she could also get me onto the masters program (with the help of a financial bursary) as well. While I don't regret not accepting the p/t position they were offering at the time, I am still interested in doing the masters, all that is stopping me the finances - it's quite pricey and the fact that this particular masters is only offered p/t, it means that I can't apply for financial assistance from SUSI. Would it be a bit forward to ask out right if the college would offer any sort of bursary and if not, who should I speak too - the lecturing staff or the finance dept. Other than getting a loan, I don't know of any other assistance? Any advice/insights greatly appreciated!

Advertisement