Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names - Probably done to death!

Options
  • 27-04-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Very quick question.
    Baby no.1 due this year. Have been researching baby names and have come across the name "Carragh"?
    Anyone know of this spelling? Obviously I know of "Cara" meaning friend but is Carragh just a makey-up name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dermy21

I work with a girl called Carragh. She spells it with two fadeas. Cárrágh.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Carragh is the name of a village next to Naas. Horrible place.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Frigating wrote: »
    Carragh is the name of a village next to Naas. Horrible place.

Ceárach, the village name, it is thought means either a rugged place or a place abounding in cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

No connection with Naas so it def wouldn't be for that reason!

Is it a nonsense name though? I had thought Dara/Darragh, Cara/Carragh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

dermy21 wrote: »
    Cárrágh.

The poor girl.

Give your child an established name, OP. "Inventive" Irish names date quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Rihannaí

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

heldel00 wrote: »
    No connection with Naas so it def wouldn't be for that reason!

Is it a nonsense name though? I had thought Dara/Darragh, Cara/Carragh

It sounds to me as you put it, Cara/Carragh.
    I've come across a girl called Cara but not Carragh, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Also be aware, OP, that "cara" (friend) in Irish doesn't rhyme with the English name "Tara".

Aard wrote: »
    Also be aware, OP, that "cara" (friend) in Irish doesn't rhyme with the English name "Tara".

No no I know that. Completely actually gone off it because I'm thinking any name that a child will have for the rest of their lives shouldn't require this many questions!

Mary it is so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

It sounds to me as you put it, Cara/Carragh.
    I've come across a girl called Cara but not Carragh, yet.

Really?? How is it pronounced?

@OP Went to school with a girl who spelled it "Caragh", the 2 R's looks funny in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Really?? How is it pronounced?

@OP Went to school with a girl who spelled it "Caragh", the 2 R's looks funny in it.
    Op, if you want, have an irish name but don't make up your own. As said above it means a rugged place.
    We use the word in, ta me ag dul ar an carragh! Which means I'm going to the
    rugged coast (to fish)

Look how bad the name daire turns out.
    Do you know what it translate into. It means 'in heat'. Ta daire ar an mbo. (The cow is in heat)

Don't want to make up my own at all. I think that's the most ridiculous thing a person can do. Just came across it on another forum and thought it was interesting but not one I have ever heard or seen before.
    No if a name needs this much discussion it's a definite no from me.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Unfortunately, the Internet isn't the best place to find Irish names, unless you really know what you're looking at. Many of the lists are cobbled together by American sites and the names, their spellings and their "meanings" are often unreliable.

If you want an Irish language name for your child, feel free to pop in here to check them in future. I'm sure everyone will be glad to help and lead you away from any names that could result in embarrassment around those who might be a little bit precious about the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Go to Easons and you should find a book simply titled "Irish Names". Majority of first names as Gaelige and their associated meaning in English.

Advertisement