Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cúnamh gramadaí

Options
  • 17-04-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Haigh a chairde,

Táim i ndiaidh aiste a scríobh agus thug mé faoi drara nach raibh mé in ann abairt a chur le cheile a chríochnaigh ar "preposition" nach raibh "conjugated" (ar ag le i) na habairtí a chríochnaíonn ar na focail sin as bearla ar aon nós.
    B'aoibhinn liom dá bhféadfadh duine eigean aistriúchain na habairtí seo a leanas thabhairt dom:

1:There was nobody to go with
    2: which hotel did you stay in?
    3: There is nothing to put my books on

Ba mhaith liom a rá gur dalta meanscoile mé agus nílim ach i m'fholaighmoir. Bheinn an bhuíoch dá bhféadfadh duine eigean na rialacha atá san aireamh a chur le tuiscint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

This is discussed here at the linked book below - search for indirect relative clause. There is more on these types of clauses in most of the grammar books (sorry I don't have a single one with me now and don't have much time to search around online). Do you own something like Cruinnscríobh na Gaeilge, or one of the Christian Brothers Grammars?

https://books.google.ch/books?id=ZU98AgAAQBAJ&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=an+bord+ar+a+bhfuil&source=bl&ots=4jV3v44F97&sig=nbyXf0L9mDxLpjzQMg6-RVvPEAM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=FewwVZa-KYHcsgGR-YGAAg&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=an%20bord%20ar%20a%20bhfuil&f=false

Mar sin:

Ní raibh duine ar bith le dul (ann) leis.
    Cén óstán inar fhan tú? or Cén óstán ar fhan tú ann?
    Níl rud ann le mo leabhair a chur air.

You generally can choose between placing the preposition at the front or at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Tuigim an difríocht idir “in” agus “san” nuair a bhíonn tíortha i gceist. Cur i gcás, Éire; in Éirinn ach An Iodáil; san Iodáil

Cheap mé go raibh an bhrí "in a" leis an réamhfhocal "in", ach an bhrí “in the” leis an réamhfhocal “san”. Da bharr sin, d'úsáid mé "san uisce" chun "in the water" a aistriú. Bhíos mícheart; ba cheart dom “in uisce” a scríobh. Ina theannta sin, áfach, úsáidtear “san ospidéal”, “san óstán”, & rl. Cad é an difríocht idir an dá cheann? Grma.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Was the water part of a longer phrase? "San uisce" should have been the correct answer, unless it was part of a phrase that took the tuiseal ginideach.

For example, "in uisce na farraige" would be 'in the water of the ocean'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

An File wrote: »
    Was the water part of a longer phrase? "San uisce" should have been the correct answer, unless it was part of a phrase that took the tuiseal ginideach.

For example, "in uisce na farraige" would be 'in the water of the ocean'.

Thanks. It was "... in the hot waters of the Atlantic". Where could I read something that explains the relevant rule here?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Thanks. It was "... in the hot waters of the Atlantic". Where could I read something that explains the relevant rule here?

Mholfainn an leathanach seo ar aon nós: http://nualeargais.ie/gnag/gram.htm
    Déanfaidh mé iarracht níos mó a fháil duit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement