Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failing deferred exams

• 03-09-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Finding it difficult understanding who to contact/what to do so posting my questions here.

I'm a second year arts student, I deferred all my second semester exams to the autumn sitting, my results came out yesterday & I failed 2 exams. My overall result for the year is Fail. Having done 10 modules in total I have "exempt" marked beside 5 modules, "pass" beside 3 and "fail" beside 2.

1) Will I get a chance to re-take the exams I failed or somehow contribute to get a passing grade?
    2) What does exempt mean in this context? I got well over a passing grade- why doesn't it just state "Pass"
    3) My failed exams are in the second semester only- what does this mean for repeating the year?

Any help given is much appreciated, I'm trying to get this sorted as quickly as possible as the new college year starts in a few days. The nuig website is not helping at all and their phone-line is not running today. I can't find answers to my questions anywhere online.
    Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

jihgfedcba wrote: »
    Finding it difficult understanding who to contact/what to do so posting my questions here.

I'm a second year arts student, I deferred all my second semester exams to the autumn sitting, my results came out yesterday & I failed 2 exams. My overall result for the year is Fail. Having done 10 modules in total I have "exempt" marked beside 5 modules, "pass" beside 3 and "fail" beside 2.

1) Will I get a chance to re-take the exams I failed or somehow contribute to get a passing grade?
    2) What does exempt mean in this context? I got well over a passing grade- why doesn't it just state "Pass"
    3) My failed exams are in the second semester only- what does this mean for repeating the year?

Any help given is much appreciated, I'm trying to get this sorted as quickly as possible as the new college year starts in a few days. The nuig website is not helping at all and their phone-line is not running today. I can't find answers to my questions anywhere online.
    Thank You.
    Contact SU education officer. here and Rebecca should be able to help.
    Contact departments of subjects you did.
    When I check my results it says exempt on the modules that I had passed already and the modules I repeated in august have changed grades from the ones I got at Christmas/summer to what I got in the repeats.
    Exempt means those modules are passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thank You.

Since you failed two deferred exams that counts as a first sitting and you should have an opportunity to repeat them. You need to contact the arts faculty office directly - Deirdre Finan deals with second years and her contact details are in the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Thank You.

You have to complete the two failed exams. You have passed 8. Exempt just means that the results were issued to you in a previous semester or year. Passed means you passed them at this sitting-the Autumn sitting. Don't mind about it just labeling them as passed. This just highlights that you have passed them.
    If the exams were core exams for the year, you will have to pass them to complete the year. That will probably mean that you will have to complete them in the second semester. However, it has happened that modules can switch semesters so keep an eye out for that.
    If they were electives, you can choose to do different electives in their place and these will count for the credits you need. These credits can be chosen from any semester.
    Although you only have 2 modules to do for the year, you will still be counted as a full-time student. So if you were getting Back to Education allowance, they will still pay you this for the repeat year.
    However, you will probably not get a SUSI grant for the year if you were getting this. Ring SUSI just to make sure though. There may be differences depending on circumstances. Without SUSI fee support, the cost to repeat a year is about 1200.
    Best thing to do is get in touch with someone in the Arts discipline, as someone suggested above. They will set you right 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

You have to complete the two failed exams. You have passed 8. Exempt just means that the results were issued to you in a previous semester or year. Passed means you passed them at this sitting-the Autumn sitting. Don't mind about it just labeling them as passed. This just highlights that you have passed them.
    If the exams were core exams for the year, you will have to pass them to complete the year. That will probably mean that you will have to complete them in the second semester. However, it has happened that modules can switch semesters so keep an eye out for that.
    If they were electives, you can choose to do different electives in their place and these will count for the credits you need. These credits can be chosen from any semester.
    Although you only have 2 modules to do for the year, you will still be counted as a full-time student. So if you were getting Back to Education allowance, they will still pay you this for the repeat year.
    However, you will probably not get a SUSI grant for the year if you were getting this. Ring SUSI just to make sure though. There may be differences depending on circumstances. Without SUSI fee support, the cost to repeat a year is about 1200.
    Best thing to do is get in touch with someone in the Arts discipline, as someone suggested above. They will set you right 100%.

I had to repeat one exam that I failed last year, this year to finish my course it cost E1824. Crazy fee to sit in an exam hall for two hours.

Advertisement