Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzwilliam institute java programming

Options
  • 29-07-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys
    Has anyone done the java 8 programming course and gotten a job out of it. It's a 10 week diploma course running from September to December. Is it worth doing as it costs a lot of money and I don't want to waste good money if the course is bad or gets me no job at the end. Any help appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A diploma is very unlikely to get you a programming role. Might get you into a 4yr degree programme that will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gammaray

Thanks ED E i had a fair idea it was not what it seemed. I'll be avoiding it then. Saw a lot of bad reviews about the courses there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 PaulRyan17

If you're interested in Programming, you should check out Higher Diplomas in Software Development on Springboard. Do you have any current qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

As a dev, the only way you would get a job from this course is if afterwards you go and code a load of your own Java projects, using the course simply as an intro to get you started with an IDE and basic Java syntax and where to get additional info, then go and learn the rest yourself. Then after you've made a rake of your own projects (and learned a lot along the way, maybe do the OCJP), approach a company hiring for a graduate role and impress them at the interview with your portfolio of stuff you made at home.

You'll also need to learn some basic industry standard tools like subversion or git. Best bet is to use github for all the projects you make, so that not only will you learn git, but you'll be able to send the potential employer a link to your code, to see how good it is.

Unless you've done programming before, you wont be walking into a job, and even if you did, it'd be 30k, not 100k, as mentioned in the previous post.

The only other thing I can think of is if its a course to cross train existing programmers (in python, c++, web etc) into Java devs. In that case, the salary claim might be more realistic. But those existing devs would have done a 3 or 4 year degree course in the past anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

gammaray wrote: »
    ...I don't want to waste good money if the course is bad or gets me no job at the end. Any help appreciated. Cheers.

I don't think many courses will guarantee a job at the end. There's no shortcuts to getting into a development/programming job. The course may get you started (you might not like it). There are other options. No idea what this specific course is like, unless you've done it.

Why don't you ask them for some stats on the employment in development of people completing the course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement