Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the sickest you've ever been?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

OisinT wrote: »
    I had mono when I was a teenager. I just remember feeling like I was never properly awake and my glands in my neck were the size of golf balls.

It was a genuinely miserable feeling.

Ditto!!!! :eek::( glandular fever as they said years ago. Lost a lot of weight and couldn't swallow or eat for a month. Throat totally closed up and unbelievably painful. Bad times!

They say you can't get it twice, but I got an identical virus a year or two later Horrible, but definitely the most sick and weak I have ever been. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Ditto!!!! :eek::( glandular fever as they said years ago. Lost a lot of weight and couldn't swallow or eat for a month. Throat totally closed up and unbelievably painful. Bad times!

They say you can't get it twice, but I got an identical virus a year or two later Horrible, but definitely the most sick and weak I have ever been. :cool:
    Same here!

You can't get it twice, but you apparently never get "rid" of it. So if you get quite sick again your symptoms can return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I had mild pleurisy when I was in LC. I was walking downtown for lunch and then I thought I was having a heart attack. Really hurt, thought I was dying.
    Got it because I used to know around in a t-shirt all the time, even when it was cold and raining

If it was only a mild case I dread to think what acute would be like. My lungs would seize up after climbing the stairs

I've had a hangover a few times where I genuinely thought I might die. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Swiner 09er

• Advertisement

Had about 9 cans of guinness there one night, that was one headache I had the next morning!
    not as bad of a headache as your wife I'm guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I had real flu once upon a time that knocked me out for a week.

I laugh at those who tell me that they have the flu, yet were able to come to work and stand before me to give me the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Had a terrible cough a few years ago where after it i wouldnt be able to breath for like 10 seconds or so.Was scary.Then my throat would dry up and i couldnt talk till i drank water.Was funny though when people talked to me and i couldnt answer back :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Get sarcoidosis every few years. Last time I couldn't walk for 2-3months.

Jesus :eek: That's pretty bad stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

It's that rare, that my own doctor took pics to show her doctor mates.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

I went on a school trip to Paris a few years back and was sharing a room with my mate. Friend had a bad infection beforehand but was cleared to go on the trip. Everything was grand till the plane trip back. I was hit by a fever, a cold, stomach pains and my asthma was acting up.

The best part was when i started having delusions about people trying to get get me :D. Spent the rest of my midterm in bed barely able to walk but then suddenly as so i was going back to school.....I was cured.

All i can say is: Good Times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I had real flu once upon a time that knocked me out for a week.

I laugh at those who tell me that they have the flu, yet were able to come to work and stand before me to give me the news.

Flipping hate people who think their sniffle is a 'flu, or worse- when you call someone on it and they say they 'only have a mild flu'. Grr

Most sick I've been that I can remember was probably last spring when I had really bad tonsilitis and couldn't eat anything more solid than milk for 2 weeks. I had bulges like golf balls on either side of my neck, it was horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

september 2009, i thought i had swine flu, thank god it was just a bad flu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I was going to say tonsillitis too. Last Xmas I was laid up for a week and a half with it. I was shivering, weak and a bit delirious like with the flu but with the added joy of the equivalent of swallowing nails wrapped in barbed wire every twenty seconds. Some **** not being able to even swallow a sip of water for the antibiotics.
    Worst of all though was the fact that I came down with it in the pub and had to sit there for the night staring sorrowfully at me pint. My mother didn't recognise my voice the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

Osteomyelitis-Bone Infection In my leg

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Went to the wrong part of Cape Town one night. 2 Guys put a gun to my head and cocked it. Sick doesn't come near describing the feeling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

August 2009 I woke up one day and couldn't walk in a straight line. I kept falling and losing my balance. Then my voice started going. Turned out to be spinal damage in my neck. Came very close to being paralysed as it took a month before I could be operated on. The last few days before the op I couldn't stand up and if I closed my hands I had to use the other hand to open it.
    Had two ops - one in through throat and one through base of skull.
    Heres the xray of the finished job.

God almighty! How the hell did that happen to you in the first place:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Godsentme wrote: »
    Cape Town one night.

Mine happened in Cape Town as well, back in 98 brought a whole chicken from the Pick N Pay near the Gardens there, was staying at the Cloudbreak Backpackers, well after 17 toilet runs in 20 odd hours of the brown rush, i could not even wipe anymore, it felt like 80grit sandpaper on my hole, ended up on a drip in hospital...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Scary to say that my husband and I have that too. I have a list of serious illnesses but try and live my life the best I can, am a mother to a 7.5 month old son and am over 10 weeks pregnant again.

I had pneumonia and acute kidney failure at the same time once.

• Advertisement

Nothing too bad. Real flu - irritates me when people run around going "I have the flu!" no you don't stfu :rolleyes:
    Ear infections are the most horrible godawful pain in the world though. Ever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Caught the winter vomiting bug about 5-6 years ago - horrible, horrible thing to catch. Genuinely thought I was gonna die.

Lasted maybe 5 -7 days and lost over a stone. Bloody frightening:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tonsillitis when I was about 10, I had a fever in the danger zone, and distinctly remember feeling that I was floating above my bed. I was delighted to get the bloody things removed when I was 15.

I was catatonic with shock once, if that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Meningitis when I was 6, they shaved the back of my head and I had a tube stuck into the base of my skull. I was in an induced coma for a few weeks, had 3 lumbar punctures but I can't remember any of it, my family love retelling how I collapsed and whacked my head off the good coffee table and how and uncle got sick all over ICU when he came to visit.

I also got tonsilitius so bad last year I had to spit in a bucket because I couldn't swallow, they eventually burst pus with blood streaked in it, that was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Chickenpox in my twenties. Hell.

Pneumonia in my teens (that one nearly got me)

Ok mine are pretty benign. thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

Had it out July 12 months ago. Flying since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Crohns disease head here.

Made my life fairly sh*tty('scuse the pun) for about 3 years(so far).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I've been pretty lucky. I don't think I've ever even had a flu. I guess it'd be one of two things - I had tonsilitis in college that ended up so bad I landed myself in hospital. There's a week I have little or no memories of, in which I tried to keep myself upright to get my project handed in... then I got so sick and weak that I forgot to submit it and brought it home with me on the train :(

Thing two, also in college - kidney infection. Middle of january, freezing out, but my fever was so high I was imagining a little old man standing over my bed. Fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erogonamalu

Aids from sum junkie. But i deserved it as it is how i was born and made. Nobodies fault really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Went a week without eating and only drank water, that sucked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Food poisoning in 2004 was the worst I've ever been. I was so sick there was nothing left to vomit up and I was just dry heaving in the middle of the night, hot/cold sweats, weak, not able to eat, barely able to drink and when I did attempt it was only one horrible, inevitable result. Took weeks to get over properly, lost a lot of weight even though I was a rake as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Woke up one morning last xmas with a massive headache, cold sweat and light-headed.
    Went to get a cup of water and fell unconscious twice on the way. Struggled back to bed and woke up 12 hours later totally fine except I landed on my chin when I fell, still have the scar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A horrible flu and kidney infection combo that I had years ago. In tatters for a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Tonsilitis every 3 months from the age of 15 until I finally had a dose so bad during Xmas 2007 where I was delirious from the pain and stopped breathing during the night because my tonsils were so swollen. Got them out the following April, but even when the scabs came off 3 days after the op, the pain was still nothing compared to that dose at Christmas.

Had gallstones and pancreatitis at the same time in April this year. The pain was unbelievable, all around my abdomen, couldn't sit up, could only take shallow breaths and had unbelievable pain in between my shoulder blades. The constant vomiting was amazing craic altogether, ended up on a drip for 2 days.

I've had some pretty awful viral infections as well. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

methadone withdrawal was pretty awful. it was like having a real bad flu for around 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I OD'd twice....on Calpol when I was a kid. I think my parents led a campaign for safety caps, so they might be my fault. I don't really remember this though.

Worst was getting the vomiting bug. I honestly thought I was going to start puking up my own internal organs. I've had the flu and as horrendous as that was, the vomiting bug was worse. I was afraid of food for about two weeks afterwards, literally afraid to eat in case I started puking again. Not good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Tonsilitis every 3 months from the age of 15 until I finally had a dose so bad during Xmas 2007 where I was delirious from the pain and stopped breathing during the night because my tonsils were so swollen.
    That is horrible. :( I have had so many of these and they're awful. My tonsils swelled up so much they met in the middle, restricted my breathing and I had to be fed by a drip until the swelling went down. They STILL didn't take the feckin things out though!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 al30

I posted about this before.

I was a baby (few months old) and had a pot of tea poured over me, it fell from a table.

I can still remember being in hospital, the dressings and my arm's tied to the sides of the cot to stop me itching.

the same happened to me when I was 7 my older sister was pouring the tea for the first time and forgot to stop, was in the days of tea leaves and had loads of them all over my thighs, was in bandages for ages and had to be pushed to richmond hospital in my little sisters buggy to get them changed, got sweets everytime they were changed though.

Advertisement