Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a video card

Options
  • 12-01-2008 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop from 2000 that runs Ubuntu 7.04 very well. Occasionally, the screen will not display the boot up process from scratch and does not improve as soon as the login screen is ready. I think this is the 8MB Rage Mobility P video card I have which might be failing. After a few reboots it generally works.

The manual for the laptop says they can be replaced and ebay has one for sale. Anyone warn against it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

To my knowledge laptop graphics cards are very difficult to replace, not as simple as a desktop pc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

The graphics card you have in the laptop is more than likely non-removable due to it only being 8mb in size, its more than likely a single chip on the motherboard (but I could e wrong). Only more modern laptops have the easier ability to upgrade graphics cards even though it is quite expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Ok, thanks for the advice. Will probably just put up with the fault for now. Apologies to mod for misposting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

eoineen wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for the advice. Will probably just put up with the fault for now. Apologies to mod for misposting.

Say what?

You didn't mis-post.

Post up some links and we will be better able to determine if it can be done or not. As the lads said, it is most unusual to be able to replace a laptop graphics card, but in some cases it is possible.

Advertisement