Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which laptop would you choose?

• 11-01-2008 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Using PC World's brilliant interactive menu options (on the right of the screen) I have reduced their vast selection of laptops to 8.

Here's the link to the list:

http://tinyurl.com/ysp7oe

I arrived at this list by using the following criteria, all must-haves:

1. Price €500-1000
    2. XP Pro
    3. 2Gb or more of RAM.

This laptop will be used for digital image capture, tethered to a camera. It will be loaded with Photoshop CS3 and very little else. No web, no email.

Which of the 8 would you consider?

Many thanks.

D.

ps. If you click on the <3Kg option, the number of laptops reduces to 4, including both star rated machines. Less weight would be useful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just been onto DELL about their Vostro 1500 range............

Very good price. XP Pro, 3Gb RAM, Dual Core etc....and I'm very tempted.

I just need to confirm one thing.......

The Vostros come with 4-pin IEEE 1394 port.

The camera I use needs FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b).

Are these one and the same?

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dinarius wrote: »
    Just been onto DELL about their Vostro 1500 range............

Very good price. XP Pro, 3Gb RAM, Dual Core etc....and I'm very tempted.

I just need to confirm one thing.......

The Vostros come with 4-pin IEEE 1394 port.

The camera I use needs FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b).

Are these one and the same?

Thanks.

D.

I think the one on the vostro is a firewire 400 (I may be wrong). It should work fine but when transferring things from the camera it will fall back to the lower speed.

AC,

Thanks for the reply.

If that is correct, then what type/speed of FireWire should I be looking for?

Many thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dinarius wrote: »
    AC,

Thanks for the reply.

If that is correct, then what type/speed of FireWire should I be looking for?

Many thanks.

D.

I just checked there it is correct. The vostro has a firewire 400 port. You'll be connecting a camera that uses firewire 800 to it. It will work fine and you can copy between the two with no problems. The only thing is that the vostro can only support the speeds of the firewire 400. This means that although your camera can support the higher speeds of firewire 800 it won't be able to use it and will have to use the speeds of firewire 400.

AC,

Many thanks for going to the trouble of checking.

I think I'm right in saying that the faster FireWire is 1394b. Correct?

If so, as far as I can see, none of the DELL laptops has this generation of FireWire.

So, which laptop manufacturers do include it?

Many thanks.

D.

ps. I use mostly 1Gb compact flash card (occasionally 2Gb) so I don't think that I will be held up too much waiting for FireWire 400 to load.

• Advertisement

Correctamundo. Firewire 400 has a maximum transfer rate of 400Mbps where as firewire 800 has a maximum transfer rate of 800Mbps. If you are dealing with 1GB or 2GB cards, I wouldn't worry about the slower speeds. 1GB of data should only take around 20 or 30 seconds over firewire 400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I don't know anything about Firewire but I can tell you that the Vostro's are heavy beasts indeed! I'v got the 14" one and it's still heavier than most 15.4" .. So be mindfull..

Thanks for that.

I carry a ton of camera equipment around, so a laptop won't seem like much extra! ;-)

I ordered a 1500 series Vostro.

T5470 Processor
    XP Pro
    15.4" enhanced TrueLife screen
    3Gb RAM
    160GB HD
    9 cell battery
    Wireless
    Bluetooth
    Mouse

€619.00 plus VAT delivered to my door.

A steal!

At that price, considering anything of real importance will be on my two other computers, it's practically disposable! :D

D.

Advertisement