Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XPS 1530 - a few questions

Options
  • 13-01-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at one of these but have a few questions. There is no option to get Windows XP but as I work alot with Adobe CS2 I need it. Is it possible to install XP as well as Vista or would I have to remove Vista? Is this easy enough to do? Also from reading other posts here, I'm thinking of getting 2GB RAM and upgrade myself later when I need to. How hard is this? I can do most things once there are instructions to follow...
    Any advice appreciated.
    Also are there any current discounts for Boards members?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I'm looking at one of these but have a few questions. There is no option to get Windows XP but as I work alot with Adobe CS2 I need it. Is it possible to install XP as well as Vista or would I have to remove Vista? Is this easy enough to do? Also from reading other posts here, I'm thinking of getting 2GB RAM and upgrade myself later when I need to. How hard is this? I can do most things once there are instructions to follow...
    Any advice appreciated.
    Also are there any current discounts for Boards members?

Why do you need xp to use cs2? Does it not work with vista? According to this it does fine.

It should be possible to install xp on it but you would need to get xp drivers for all the hardware. This may not be possible. You can dual boot which means that you have a partition that has xp on it and another partition that has vista on it. This way you can boot into either xp or vista.

It's piss easy to install ram. It's simply a case of finding out where it is, removing it and sticking in the new sticks.

As far as I know there is no boards discount, there are a few vouchers going around the dell laptops thread in bargain alerts so you'd best check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I think running XP might be tricky, since there are problems with driver compatibility. It sounds do-able with a bit of work, though. Unless you think of youself as "good with computers", it might not be worth bothering.

there's a thread about it here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=193815
    the XP stuff starts on the second page, mostly.

Installing RAM looks reasonably easy. Here's a youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7R5VYsdxIg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

There shouldnt be any problem installing XP (assuming you have a XP disc and licence).

The M1330 was never available with XP, but Dell (eventually) published all necessary XP drivers on their website. They are expected to do the same with the M1530 after a while.

I believe the recommended way to do a Vista/XP dual boot is to install XP first (completely overwriting any Vista install), and then install Vista afterwards (as many XP applications 'expect' to be on the C: partition)

In the grand scheme of things, it should be 'difficult' to do what you want, but there's a couple of minor issues (SATA drivers, the media-direct partition) so i'd definitely recommend to let the tech-heads do the homework first; over the next couple of weeks you'll start to see some nice step-by-step guides on Dell oriented forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Why do you need xp to use cs2? Does it not work with vista? According to this it does fine.

Yes Vista works fine with the 3 main CS2 programmes (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) but according to the Adobe website the Bridge, Acrobat 7 and other components of Pre-Nov 2006 CS2 do not.

Advertisement