Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop - brand and vendor advice

Options
  • 05-01-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all

I'm just trying to get a bit of knowledge together here; my aunt has asked for my advice on buying a laptop but since I'm much more of a PC man I thought I'd look for help brushing up here.

She has up to €1000 to spend but really only wants a laptop that can do the basics; run an internet browser, the ms office suite and maybe for use with home photos and videos. So basically jobs even the most underpowered laptop today should be able to manage.

What I'd really like advice on is brand names; in terms of build quality and customer service, fault repairs, returning to manufacturer, that sort of thing. I know first hand that Dell have great after sales support and returns (at least for business customers) but that the build quality is generally rubbish. I'd be of the opinion that Thinkpads or HPs are the way to go but I know that Thinkpads have a limited supply here through Sharptech. Where's the best place to get HPs?

Any thoughts that could help me dole out better advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Personally, if build quality is what you are after, I would recommend IBM/Lenovo. I've been using them for over 10 years now (both in the job and as a home user) and would highly recommend them. I've never had to deal with tech support/after sales service, but I believe it is top class. In all the years I have been using them, I can't recall every having a problem with them. I got mine through laptopsdirect.ie.

You will of course pay that bit more for build quality. Dell, as you rightly point out, tend to have a lower build quality. I like to call them the Ryanair of the laptop world. And I don't mean that in any disrespect, I mean that in terms of value for money - you won't beat them on price, full stop.

Sony would be up there with build quality too and if the laptop is for a lady in your life, they tend to look that bit more stylish too, as opposed to the clunky, boring IBMs.

I bought a HP in 2004 and while I found the build quality to be quite good, the components were very poor. Both the battery and the hard-drive gave up on me literally a week after the years warranty was up. And I found the tech support to be utterly patronising and not overly good.

My 2 cents. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can get a laptop for 500~600 to do what shes wants. You can order IBM or indeed any brand over the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rand_alThor

Yeah, I'm aware of that, I've bought a few rubbish Dells for others. In terms of vendors/websites do you have any recommendations? I'd have used komplett, dabs, and maybe elara before.

I've worked/support on hundreds of Dell Laptops over the years, I don't really have a problem with them. The only machines that are really built better are the IBM's in my experience.

I dunno, I've seen alot of Dells with hardware failures after about a years use. They just don't seem to get very good quality components.

Anyone any reliable laptop website suggestions?

• Advertisement

Do you see more Dells than any other brand though?

Indeed I do, but I'd still say there's a higher proportion of fault's in them. At least in the older models. They do seem to be getting more reliable.

I've used a lot of laptops of the years but never a big sample to make an accurate judgement. Only a handful at one time and that not really enough for anything other anecdotal opinion. The biggiest roll out I worked on we delivered/setup about 1000 laptops. There about 5% machines with problems. Less than 1% DOA. It didn't really change much across the brands we used, HP, Compaq, Dell etc. We were also taking back in the used old laptops 4~7 yrs old. Dell were one of the brands that survived the best. I've never done a big roll out with other brands but if forums are anything to by there isn't really a lot of difference in the big brands. With the exception of perhaps IBM.

Advertisement