Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer Laptop Support

• 10-01-2008 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

What happened to the acerwarranty.co.uk thread? It seems to have disappeared.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭shane_by

Am I the only one to notice? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

shane_by wrote: »
    Am I the only one to notice? :confused:

Apparently so, tis rather strange alright, perhaps the mods from on high will explain when they know what happened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭shane_by

majiktripp wrote: »
    Apparently so, tis rather strange alright, perhaps the mods from on high will explain when they know what happened...

Thanks for that, majiktripp. I was beginning to think I'd imagined the whole thread :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

That's bizzare, was a good service imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

A quick search threw up the thread --

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055071271&page=8&highlight=Acer+Laptop

Locked and unstickied for some reason..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ermedia

Hi All,

I hope mods do not delete this post as this account was created so all members are not left in the dark about were we have gone. Our user accounts we used for giving the free support and advice were banned from boards.ie and also our IP addresses.

We were banned for recommending a good Acer product to a member to help them in their laptop search, which was a site we owned and this was classed as breaking the rules for advertising, even though other members can recommend websites to help people.

Unfortunately no light has come of trying to resolve the issue from moderators. Once again this post is a one off post and we hope moderators do not delete it as it was made to just inform users that we haven't just left them hanging.

Many Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ermedia wrote: »
    Hi All,

I hope mods do not delete this post as this account was created so all members are not left in the dark about were we have gone. Our user accounts we used for giving the free support and advice were banned from boards.ie and also our IP addresses.

I was the one who banned you from this forum and I was the one who requested the site-ban. For what it's worth I didn't know the ip was banned.

I gave you a warning via pm after your first post that was advertising your products. This is a lot more than most people who advertise here get. Usually they receive a site ban straight away. I decided to give you a little lee-way, how wrong I was. You ignored my warning and continued to advertise your products. That is why I banned you and that is why I requested a site-ban.
    We were banned for recommending a good Acer product to a member to help them in their laptop search, which was a site we owned and this was classed as breaking the rules for advertising, even though other members can recommend websites to help people.

You're close but you're miles off. You weren't recommending a good acer product, you were spamming your products. The reason other users don't get banned for recommending laptops is because they have no ties to the companies or websites they are recommending. They aren't advertising their products whereas you are.

The admins rely on advertising revenue to keep this site running. Also, if every user was allowed advertise their website or product here the site would be overrun with it and it would be impossible to discuss anything here.
    Unfortunately no light has come of trying to resolve the issue from moderators.

If you don't mind me asking, which mods have you been talking to about this matter?

I dont recall receiving any PM's and hence why. I can only recall 2 or 3 times it was done and i would hardly call it spamming the board. I will apologise if i missed a PM but we usually don't look up there when replying to requests.

I have emailed twice to the webmaster via the contact us link as that was the only page we could get to without the IP ban stopping us. No replies via that contact form. We are interested in advertising with boards.ie which i also explained via the contact us form but again no reply. I want to get the issue resolved, but at present it is difficult as we haven't heard back.

Really then every other user recommending a website is cutting the revenue of the board, as they are providing the links to the sites without the sites paying. But i can see and understand both points of view. But we wont get into a debate over something so small as we enjoy helping the boards.ie community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

People need all the help they can get with the older Acer laptops.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I dont recall receiving any PM's and hence why. I can only recall 2 or 3 times it was done and i would hardly call it spamming the board. I will apologise if i missed a PM but we usually don't look up there when replying to requests.

I definitely sent the pm. Check the email address you used to sign up to boards, a copy may have been sent there (it depends on the settings in your user cp so it may not have been). I have it here in my sent items. I can email you a screen cap of it if you like.

I have emailed twice to the webmaster via the contact us link as that was the only page we could get to without the IP ban stopping us. No replies via that contact form. We are interested in advertising with boards.ie which i also explained via the contact us form but again no reply. I want to get the issue resolved, but at present it is difficult as we haven't heard back.

Unfortunately the admins here are very busy. I doubt any of them has looked at that mailbox in a while.

It was an smod who site-banned you, but only admins can ban an ip address from the site. If the ip address was indeed banned then there was admin intervention in this case. This was obviously taken a lot more seriously then I had first thought. Ip addresses rarely get banned and it generally only happens in extreme cases.

If you are interested in advertising with boards then please see this page for details. They may take some time to get back to you on that though.
    Really then every other user recommending a website is cutting the revenue of the board, as they are providing the links to the sites without the sites paying. But i can see and understand both points of view. But we wont get into a debate over something so small as we enjoy helping the boards.ie community

Yes but they get nothing out of it by linking to another site or product. Whereas when you link to one of your products your company benefits.

I'm glad that you enjoy helping the community, we're glad when companies help out boards members. It's something that benefits both parties. You guys get to help customers that are having problems with your laptops which keeps them happy and loyal to your brand. We benefit in that our members get problems solved from the people that know best.

We really need an admin to resolve this situation. The best thing to do would be to post in the help desk forum about this. The admins will notice it sooner if it is posted there instead of here although it may still take some time.

The admins may decide to unban the ip address and your previous account if you promise not to advertise your products in threads again. That's not a guarantee though. Mention this thread and provide a link to it. Also mention that you wish to advertise as it may be quicker than sending an email.

Just to let you know that only smods and admins can reply to threads in the help desk so I won't be able to post there. We can still discuss it here as well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Guys,

let's take this to PM.

I would prefer not to have claim and counter-claims thrown around in public.

I am sure we can resolve this amicably to the satisfaction of both ourselves and Acer.

Please keep me in the loop too, I has contacts. :D

TD.

Hi,

Will do. As mentioned we are here to help people and we were not doing that on purpose.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Will do. As mentioned we are here to help people and we were not doing that on purpose.

And I fully accept that as per my PM.

I think we will leave it at that for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement