Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saxophones

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

For several years, I've very much enjoyed the idea of learning to play the saxophone in my spare time, purely as a hobby. I play piano, guitar, bass, drums and a couple of other instruments, but I have absolutely no experience with the woodwind family.

I would like to purchase in a nice, cheap, basic sax to begin with.

I'm not sure whether or not it's possible, but I live in a rural region, so I'd like to try and teach myself to play. Anyone got any experience with self-learning the sax?

I've successfully managed to teach myself with all of the above listed instruments, and like I said, this is just a hobby to me. I'm not (at least yet) looking to join a jazz band or anything like that.

I'm probably most likely to buy a saxophone off eBay, though I'm open to other methods. I just don't know where else I'd pick a sax up.

My main problem is, I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for. There are any amount of different makes and models constantly listed on eBay, and I don't know what's good, what would be 'easy' [or easier] for a beginner, etc.

The main influence on what I purchase is price. I want something cheap as possible, but not utterly rubbish. Ideally, something in the 150 euro max range. Is that unrealistic? I'm open to second/third/tenth hand.

I don't want to go spending a fortune for something I may never have a hope of learning to play.

If I do make headway with a cheaper model, I'll certainly look into upgrading to something better.

What are the main cons with the cheap makes?

Any advice much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You might get some info from this sax forum.

http://www.saxquest.com/forum.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 N272WA

I'll check that out, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

N272WA wrote: »
    For several years, I've very much enjoyed the idea of learning to play the saxophone in my spare time, purely as a hobby. I play piano, guitar, bass, drums and a couple of other instruments, but I have absolutely no experience with the woodwind family.

I would like to purchase in a nice, cheap, basic sax to begin with.

I'm not sure whether or not it's possible, but I live in a rural region, so I'd like to try and teach myself to play. Anyone got any experience with self-learning the sax?

I've successfully managed to teach myself with all of the above listed instruments, and like I said, this is just a hobby to me. I'm not (at least yet) looking to join a jazz band or anything like that.

I'm probably most likely to buy a saxophone off eBay, though I'm open to other methods. I just don't know where else I'd pick a sax up.

My main problem is, I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for. There are any amount of different makes and models constantly listed on eBay, and I don't know what's good, what would be 'easy' [or easier] for a beginner, etc.

The main influence on what I purchase is price. I want something cheap as possible, but not utterly rubbish. Ideally, something in the 150 euro max range. Is that unrealistic? I'm open to second/third/tenth hand.

I don't want to go spending a fortune for something I may never have a hope of learning to play.

If I do make headway with a cheaper model, I'll certainly look into upgrading to something better.

What are the main cons with the cheap makes?

Any advice much appreciated. :)
    In my opinion, buying a cheap make is a bit of a no-no. You could be lucky and get an ok-sounding sax, but honestly you could end up with something that sounds crap, and especially if you don't know the instrument that well, you'll probably end up getting frustrated with trying to improve your tone/control the high octave notes as the saxophone will limit you quite quickly in these regards.

Rather than buying a cheap sax, rent a reasonable one like the Jupiter 565. If you do this through McCullough Pigott in Dublin city centre, you can rent it for three months, and if you like the instrument you can get what you already paid in rent reduced off the end price. Not a bad system, and worth the trip to Dublin.

You can teach yourself saxophone, the most important aspect if you're self teaching is to not develop any bad habits regarding embouchure (how you use the muscles around your mouth to produce the tone). A bad embouchure will produce weak sounding notes/out of tune for more physical effort. Get a tuner and practice long notes, trying to keep them in tune. You should be able to find diagrams explaining how to form an embouchure online (perhaps on taht saxophone forum).

And if you're already a musician, you'll find the sax surprisingly easy! So get it and have fun! It's a great instrument, and a very enjoyable one to play. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 N272WA

Thanks to you both. Renting sounds like a good idea, and I like the idea that I'm paying towards the final price, if I decide to keep the sax.

I'll look into it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Lazerwolf

I would get a saxophone teacher to help you buy a saxophone. You can ask them how much they would be willing to do it for. I have done it for students before. If you buy a used saxophone and even sometimes if you buy a new saxophone it can have leaks which make it hard to play. Therefor it is helpful to have a professional saxophone player test the instrument before you buy it. They will also be able to tell you if the instrument has good intonation, action, tone, etc. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Setun has great advice above, just to reiterate, don't go too cheap on your first sax. They hold their value well enough if you look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Whoops, just realised the original query is from 6 years ago!

Advertisement