Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my first smart phone! - some questions -

Options
  • 11-07-2013 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Late converted, so got the Samsung SIII mini.

Some questions:

- games on android seem more expensive than the same on an iphone, €1 versus 89c usually

- what can an iphone do that my phone can't - struggle to see the difference despite this phone being half the price???

- when I type a message and press the SPACE bar on the iphone it does an autocorrection type thing but on my phone that doesn't seem to be there. Maybe it is an it isn't enabled, any ideas (it is not predictive text)

Thanks

Comments

mozattack wrote: »
    Late converted, so got the Samsung SIII mini.

Some questions:

- games on android seem more expensive than the same on an iphone, €1 versus 89c usually

- what can an iphone do that my phone can't - struggle to see the difference despite this phone being half the price???

- when I type a message and press the SPACE bar on the iphone it does an autocorrection type thing but on my phone that doesn't seem to be there. Maybe it is an it isn't enabled, any ideas (it is not predictive text)

Thanks

1. Some games are cheaper on Android, but there are probably more that are cheaper on the iphone as it's more difficult to code an Android game due to the many different sizes and different spec phones they have to get it working on. There are also different app stores, e.g. Amazon so be sure to shop around.

2. Not a lot. An iphone is generally more user friendly for the layman. Taking my fanboy hat off, there's probably some more advantages but I have no idea.

3. With Android you can customize your keyboard however you please. Swiftkey seems to be popular around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

On your new Samsung you can install different Keyboards. These have things like autocorrect and can predict your next word. They also have a feature that lets you slide over keys rather than having to tap individually.
    Quiet a few keyboards are available to install and everyone has their favourite but start with this one by Google
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

As for the difference it's generally agreed that the iPhone looks better than the Samsung Mini and you can pay a lot for looks and brand. There are other difference in the specs and software but for your first phone the one you have should be more than adequate.

As for the price of games you can install different app stores on your phone and you may find better offers etc. You'll always find games on sale and promotions on. Generally app prices are the same on average on both phones.

edit: Aristotle types faster than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Very good responses, many thanks!

Another question please...

When I get an email to Gmail I get a notification on the phone, like a text message. Perfect. However, the problem is that I got a load of emails last night meaning I kept being woken up by the phone.

I dont want to turn the sound off so can I either (a) get it that the notifications are muted or (b) have it that I don't get notified when i get emails?

Thanks.

(how am I getting notifications if not connected to WiFi and not connected to the google?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Hi, I checked my settings and I dont have autocorrect. How do I get that, I really like that on iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi, I checked my settings and I dont have autocorrect. How do I get that, I really like that on iphone

As was said above install a differnt keyboard. There are loads to choose from.
    This one is pretty good. I myself use Swiftkey and also sywpe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement