Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kinaldo wrote: »
    I think Barca's fixture pile up and impending trip to the Bernabeu will ensure it's a close race, at the very least.

As for Fabregas, never say never. One Luis Figo didn't want to leave Barcelona at the time, and we all know how that turned out. That's how good Perez is at getting his man. And with Xavi and Iniesta already at Barcelona, they don't need Fab at all.

Big difference in Figo and Fabregas!!

for one thing Figo was Portugeese and Fabregas is Catalan, it would be very unlikely that any proud catalan would pull on the shirt of Royal Madrid

Secondly, im sure Fab will be at Arsenal for another 2 years or so and by that time Xavi will be over the 30 mark and they will be looking at replacements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

kryogen wrote: »

Secondly, im sure Fab will be at Arsenal for another 2 years or so and by that time Xavi will be over the 30 mark and they will be looking at replacements

Agree
    I think Barca's fixture pile up and impending trip to the Bernabeu will ensure it's a close race, at the very least.

As for Fabregas, never say never. One Luis Figo didn't want to leave Barcelona at the time, and we all know how that turned out. That's how good Perez is at getting his man. And with Xavi and Iniesta already at Barcelona, they don't need Fab at all.

As kryogen pointed out in about two years when Xavi is 31 he wont be able to do what he can now much like Scholes. He will still be an integral part of the side but a replacement will be needed to come in and share game time. Fabregas looks ideal for that Role and keep Iniesta were he is and it could be a smooth transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

for one thing Figo was Portugeese and Fabregas is Catalan, it would be very unlikely that any proud catalan would pull on the shirt of Royal Madrid

Figo was their club captain, a successful one, and absolutely idolised by the fans. He loved Barcelona and did not want to leave. He was saying very recently that he would like to live in Barcelona again, and hopes that the Catalans will accept him.

Unless you know Fabregas personally you have no idea how he might be swayed.

redout wrote: »
    Agree

As kryogen pointed out in about two years when Xavi is 31 he wont be able to do what he can now much like Scholes. He will still be an integral part of the side but a replacement will be needed to come in and share game time. Fabregas looks ideal for that Role and keep Iniesta were he is and it could be a smooth transition.
    Who's to say Fabregas will want to hang around at Arsenal another 2 years? He has yet to win a trophy there and this season they've regressed. He's in danger of not playing CL football at all next season. Under those circumstances Wenger would be doing very well to hold onto him.

Just being Catalan means he was most likely raised to dislike the Madrid establishment and raised on stories of the Franco repression of Catalunya and his people.

• Advertisement

Figo was their club captain, a successful one, and absolutely idolised by the fans. He loved Barcelona and did not want to leave. He was saying very recently that he would like to live in Barcelona again, and hopes that the Catalans will accept him.

If Luis Figo truly loved the club he could not have joined Madrid, can you imagine Steven Gerrard joining Manchester United? Gary Neville playing for Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Yep, Figo didn't want to go. It seems like once the deal between the clubs is done, it would be very rare for the player to refuse the move. Given Arsenal's financial situation, a 30mil+ bid would have Fab on his way.

If Luis Figo truly loved the club he could not have joined Madrid, can you imagine Steven Gerrard joining Manchester United? Gary Neville playing for Liverpool?
    Well it was a very complicated transfer between Perez and the agent. In the end it was either playing for Madrid or his agent going to jail.

Who's to say Fabregas will want to hang around at Arsenal another 2 years? He has yet to win a trophy there and this season they've regressed. He's in danger of not playing CL football at all next season. Under those circumstances Wenger would be doing very well to hold onto him.

Well Barca would take him now if he wanted to go. Laporta has already said this in the press. The only problem is were does he fit in at present and also that Barca wont be willing to pay big money for a former youth player of theirs with Laporta reportedly having put a cap on what Barca are willing to pay for a former youth team player. They payed United €7 Million to take Pique back.

Just being Catalan means he was most likely raised to dislike the Madrid establishment and raised on stories of the Franco repression of Catalunya and his people.
    Fabregas has stated before that he's apolitical. I'm sure he has lots of friends etc. at Madrid which is probably enough.

• Advertisement

Kenny Miller went to Celtic, didn't he...

pierrot wrote: »
    Yep, Figo didn't want to go. It seems like once the deal between the clubs is done, it would be very rare for the player to refuse the move. Given Arsenal's financial situation, a 30mil+ bid would have Fab on his way.

Ok answer me this, if he didnt want to go, why would Madrid want to buy him? why would you want to buy a player who is going to cost so much money and not be sure he can give his all for the team because his heart is not in it?

Its very seldom that a player is forced to go to a club against his wishes, in fact i dont think it has ever happened has it?

His agent had to have got a green light from him to do a deal with Madrid, they always sound out a player first before going through official routes with the club

Is it possible maybe that he was posturing in an attempt to lessen the hatred he would receive by making the switch?

i must admit i dont remember the deal too well so i cant recall where he has said he didnt want to leave Barcelona at the time

When he was urging Ronaldo to go to Madrid this year he referred to them as the best in the world and the most important in the world

Somebody with a love for the Catalan club really wouldnt be saying those things! its treachery :)

No, I agree, and would certainly bet against Cesc pulling on the royal white, but I would say that if a bid were to be accepted and the wheels were in motion, would he pull the plug? Maybe not.
    In any case, Xavi will last way longer than 31 without having to alter his game, and given the versatility of Iniesta and the emergance of Busquets, I'm not even sure if Fabregas would be the best choice for Barca eventhough he is a wonderful player

Aye, stopping Juninho getting deadball chances will be important me reckons as the guy is lethal although I still stand by my comments that he didnt mean the one in the first leg and it was a fluke.

Champions League - Guardiola: Stopping Juninho key

Coach Pep Guardiola has said Barcelona will have to starve Juninho of dead-ball scoring chances in Wednesday's Champions League clash with Lyon.

The Brazilian stunned Barca early in the first leg of the last 16 tie in France with a trademark strike that sailed over goalkeeper Victor Valdes, before Thierry Henry equalised in the second half.

"It will be important not to give away free kicks around the box," Guardiola said on the eve of Wednesday's return at the Nou Camp, adding that Barca would try to keep the ball in the Lyon half.

"The best form of defence is attack," the former Barca and Spain midfielder said. "I think they will wait until we lose the ball and try to hit us on the break."

The Liga leaders come into the match having stretched their advantage over Real Madrid to six points with a 2-0 home win over Athletic Bilbao on Saturday.

Lyon's 2-0 defeat at Lille at the weekend chopped their Ligue 1 lead down to one point from six two weeks ago and their woes have been compounded by injuries to key players.

Earlier, Barca striker Samuel Eto'o said he was unconcerned about his recent lack of goals and hoped his 28th birthday on Tuesday would bring the team luck.

"I have scored a lot already this season and when they don't go in for a few matches there is no point making a drama out of it," said Eto'o, who hasn't netted in four matches since his league double against Real Betis on February 14. "I am calm."

Meanwhile, Lyon forward Karim Benzema looks set to take his place in coach Claude Puel's starting line-up after recovering from a hip injury.

"He's doing well," Puel said. "We are optimistic he'll be able to play and we'll see how he is after training later."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10032009/58/champions-league-guardiola-stopping-juninho-key.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Proud Catalan my hole, he had no problems walking out of La Masia as a youngster and getting salary a few seasons earlier in the EPL. Instead of staying and fighting for his place at his childhood club.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Proud Catalan my hole, he had no problems walking out of La Masia as a youngster and getting salary a few seasons earlier in the EPL. Instead of staying and fighting for his place at his childhood club.

i wont argue with your comment but surely you would see a difference in Fabregas and Figo?

He aint going to Real Madrid. He has openly said he wants to play for Barcelona one day. Now being a Catalan he knows that more or less rules out ever playing for Real Madrid although not to say impossible but he would be treated as a traitor when he returned to Catalunya and he is obviously aware of that. Its not as if Real could offer him anything that Barca could not. But Barca can offer him beautiful, free-flowing football which the guy is clearly made for unlike Real Madrid. I dont see why he would want to play for Real Madrid as Barcelona are hands down the better side and play his kind of football.

Laporta - Cesc has Barca at heart
    Barca supremo would relish seeing midfielder back at the club
    Last updated: 7th March 2009

Barcelona president Joan Laporta believes Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas would be a 'big player' for the club.

Fabregas has repeatedly been linked with a return to Barcelona, having originally left the Catalan giants as a 16-year-old to join Arsenal.

Reports have claimed that Barca will launch a big-money bid to bring the midfielder back to Camp Nou at the end of the season.

Though Laporta would not be drawn on any imminent attempt to sign Fabregas, he expressed his admiration for the 21-year-old.

Praise
    "Although he is with another club, I have always praised Fabregas," Laporta told Spanish radio station Punto Radio.

"He was born in Catalonia and has become a better player since leaving the club.

"But I feel he has this club at his heart and understands the type of passing football we like to play.

"The technical staff will decide on any movement for him, but there is no doubt he would be a big player for us."

Fabregas is currently sidelined with a knee injury suffered against Liverpool in December, but the Spain international is targeting a comeback early next month.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5017522,00.html

Some bad news regarding Puyol - Out for 3 weeks

Barcelona have suffered an injury blow ahead of their UEFA Champions League clash with Lyon with news that club captain Carles Puyol faces three weeks on the sidelines.

The defender twisted ankle ligaments after falling badly on his left ankle in the last minute of the 2-0 home win over Athletic Bilbao on Saturday.

He had to leave the pitch on a stretcher and Barca's medical department said he would undergo further tests on Sunday.

But they believe he could miss the last-16 second leg at home to Lyon on Wednesday and the league matches against Almeria and Malaga.

He aint going to Real Madrid. He has openly said he wants to play for Barcelona one day. Now being a Catalan he knows that more or less rules out ever playing for Real Madrid although not to say impossible but he would be treated as a traitor when he returned to Catalunya and he is obviously aware of that. Its not as if Real could offer him anything that Barca could not. But Barca can offer him beautiful, free-flowing football which the guy is clearly made for unlike Real Madrid. I dont see why he would want to play for Real Madrid as Barcelona are hands down the better side and play his kind of football.
    Here, here, this Barcelona team have won nada as of yet. Also let's just wait and see what Perez does in the summer. In the meantime, salute the champions... ¡hala Madrid!

i wont argue with your comment but surely you would see a difference in Fabregas and Figo?
    Yeah it was a lot harder for Figo to make the move than it would be for Fabregas

• Advertisement

Here, here, this Barcelona team have won nada as of yet. Also let's just wait and see what Perez does in the summer. In the meantime, salute the champions... ¡hala Madrid!

did you misunderstand the post you quoted?

or are you being sarcastic.....or....i dunno, you just confused me :confused::)

Yeah it was a lot harder for Figo to make the move than it would be for Fabregas

lol

even you know thats just plain wrong!

if Fabregas ever plays for Madrid...Ever! i will eat my own head

did you misunderstand the post you quoted?

or are you being sarcastic.....or....i dunno, you just confused me :confused::)
    I took umbrage to this waxing of lyrical about a team that's won nothing and stand a mere 6 pts ahead of the 2 times champions who have already been in crisis this season, and the presumption that Madrid won't play Fabregas' ''kind of football" next season.

I really don't see Fabregas going to Madrid as a huge big deal, except that he would be an amazing signing and significantly improve the side.

I took umbrage to this waxing of lyrical about a team that's won nothing and stand a mere 6 pts ahead of the 2 times champions who have already been in crisis this season, and the presumption that Madrid won't play Fabregas' ''kind of football" next season.

I really don't see Fabregas going to Madrid as a huge big deal, except that he would be an amazing signing and significantly improve the side.

he would pretty much improve any side he was a part of!

that we would agree on.....i dont know how this came up anymore actually...:confused:

Update

Golden Shoe standings 2008-09
    Current standings (League goals only)
    (Including games played on March 1, 2009)

Pos
    Name
    Club
    Gls
    Mult
    Pts

Janko
    Salzburg

Eto'o
    Barcelona

Villa
    Valencia

Ibisevic----Hoffenheim

Messi
    Barcelona

A Samuel Eto'o brace at the weekend has moved him clear at the top in the race for the Golden Shoe after this past weekends round of games.

EDIT: Janko should state 31 Goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cesc won't go to Real. It's always been quite clear that when he moves on he will go to Barca. Besides being a Catalan, Pep guardiola is his boyhood idol. Also i couldn't see Arsenal selling to Real unless it was an astronomical sum. He will most likely be allowed go to Barca in a few years when Wenger finishes his contract and Barca actually need him.

lol

even you know thats just plain wrong!

if Fabregas ever plays for Madrid...Ever! i will eat my own head

I disagree, Figo was the captain of FC Barcelona, the leader and most important player on the pitch. He was adored by all our fanbase, and was truly irreplaceable. Fabregas is a fantastic player, who abandoned Barca because of a bad spell in their history. If he was to return, he would end up being third fiddle to both Iniesta and Xavi in the midfield. So he would have nowhere near the influence of Figo on the team. Also, even if Fabregas is catalan, Figo joined the enemy when he was ACTUALLY playing for FC Barcelona.

I don't expect Fabregas to join Real, but I do think Figo joining them was a bigger shock than Fabregas could dream of making in Catalunya. He isn't really loved by Cules because of how he treated the club, and how he just wants to come sliming back because Arsenal are going the way Barca were when he left.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

If he was to return, he would end up being third fiddle to both Iniesta and Xavi in the midfield./QUOTE]

I think that's the reason he left - I think your reading into it all wrong. Any young midfielder would look at the barca midfielder and would hve to think they wouldn't get chances.
    Who was at Arsenal at the time he joined? Aging players on the way out.

mayordenis wrote: »
    If he was to return, he would end up being third fiddle to both Iniesta and Xavi in the midfield.

I think that's the reason he left - I think your reading into it all wrong. Any young midfielder would look at the barca midfielder and would hve to think they wouldn't get chances.
    Who was at Arsenal at the time he joined? Aging players on the way out.

He left in 2003, when Barca finished 6th in the league table. The team was on the verge of collapse, Iniesta only started getting regular playing time in 2005, along with Messi. Fabregas could have quite easily fought it out with Iniesta for a midfield spot, but he bailed to England so he could get more money and could leave a 'sinking ship' so to speak.

• Advertisement

Guardiola up for English challenge
    Thursday, 12 March 2009 09:11

Barcelona would relish a match against one of the four English clubs that have qualified for the Champions League quarter-finals along with the Primera Liga leaders, coach Pep Guardiola said.

'If you want to win the Champions League you have to play with the best in Europe,' the former Barca and Spain midfielder told a news conference after the Catalans overwhelmed Olympique Lyon 5-2 at the Nou Camp.

'So we'll take the challenge. It would be nice to taste success against one of the English sides.If we have to play one of them it will definitely be a good match,' he added.

Barca enjoyed a thrilling return to form at a packed Nou Camp on Wednesday, racing to a 4-0 lead thanks to Thierry Henry's quickfire double, a trademark Lionel Messi run and cool finish and a powerful Samuel Eto'o strike.

They are still in with a chance of winning a treble with the Champions League, Primera Liga and King's Cup and have a six-point lead over second-placed Real Madrid in the Spanish league.

The 2006 winners reached the semi-finals of last season's Champions League, losing to eventual winners Manchester United, and Guardiola said the quartet of United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool would all be formidable opponents in the last eight.

'It will be difficult for us but they have to come here to play so I'm sure it will be difficult for them too,' he said.

'Whoever our opponents are, we will study them closely and try to pinpoint their weaknesses. Whoever we are drawn against is welcome.'

Bayern Munich, Porto and Barca's Spanish rivals Villarreal are also in the quarter-final draw on March 20.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0312/barcelona.html

I can see Barca having difficulty against the English sides as Gimmick pointed out in the other thread. Going forward obviously they are brilliant but thats not always enough as last season I thought they ran United ragged but couldnt score. That said United have the best defence of all the English sides. At the back they are not solid enough I dont feel to keep out United and Pool. I think Chelsea and Arsenal are certainly doable but and would be better suited for Barca. To concede three in the two knockout legs against one of the smaller sides remaining I thought was worrying. This time it didnt matter as Barca scored six but they wont be capable of knocking in six against the English teams who all have far better defences than Lyon. Puyol was missing last night but it can hardly be used as an excuse.

I can see Barca having difficulty against the English sides as Gimmick pointed out in the other thread. Going forward obviously they are brilliant but thats not always enough as last season I thought they ran United ragged but couldnt score. That said United have the best defence of all the English sides. At the back they are not solid enough I dont feel to keep out United and Pool. I think Chelsea and Arsenal are certainly doable but and would be better suited for Barca. To concede three in the two knockout legs against one of the smaller sides remaining I thought was worrying. This time it didnt matter as Barca scored six but they wont be capable of knocking in six against the English teams who all have far better defences than Lyon. Puyol was missing last night but it can hardly be used as an excuse.

A sh*t Barcelona played an amazing Man United team last year in the semi's. They were beaten by 1-0 goal, over 180 minutes, and it was a wonder strike. To write off Barcelona's chances this year in the CL is laughable, considering how close United and Barca were last year. In comparison Barca are 100 times better than last year, and United are far from being as potent as they were last year.

I seriously doubt this years Barcelona team would be unable to score against United. Write them off at your peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A sh*t Barcelona played an amazing Man United team last year in the semi's. They were beaten by 1-0 goal, over 180 minutes, and it was a wonder strike. To write off Barcelona's chances this year in the CL is laughable, considering how close United and Barca were last year. In comparison Barca are 100 times better than last year, and United are far from being as potent as they were last year.

Literally?:eek:

keane2097 wrote: »
    Literally?:eek:

:D Ya, they'll get 6700 league points this year. I swear.

I seriously doubt this years Barcelona team would be unable to score against United. Write them off at your peril.

A bit of an over exaggeration to say the least. Now look here, I watch Barca every week as you know unlike the majority on here and you cannot deny that they raised their game in the two matches against United compared to what they were doing in la liga at the time. It was quite peculiar actually considering before the first leg and after the first leg they went back to looking well below par in la liga but again upped it at old trafford in the 2nd leg and actually looked like Barcelona. I am not writing them off as only a fool would do so but I am making the point their defence is a weak link in the chain which could cause them a problem against both Liverpool and Man Utd.

“Liverpool’s playing style, as we saw against Madrid, does not suit us at all,” he said in an interview with RAC-1 programme ‘Tu Diras’.

“At the Santiago Bernabeu, they closed the game down completely and did not allow their opponents to play. A rival who would suit us better would be a team like Arsenal because they like to play and attack just like us.”

Gerard Pique

This somewhat goes along with what I said myself the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Stupid comment to make. If Barca do draw Liverpool it gives Liverpool a psychological edge over at least one player.

He is right though. Liverpools style would not allow Barca play their expansive style at the Camp Nou. I hiope for Barcas sake they avoid them.

When is the draw actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

20th March.

As it seems like we are picking up a bit more momentum after a bad few weeks, I really think a few things need to be addressed;

First lets get the bad stuff out of the way...
    Barca recently have been conceding wayyyy too many silly goals, goals that weren't even coming close to being created in the first half of the season. I don't know why this is, Toure/ Busquets are still beasts in midfield, with Busquets playing much better now than back then imo (when ironically he was getting all the plaudits). Without Abidal, we have been playing Alves and Sylvinho as our FB's, that's is far too attacking really, we need to play a more defensive LB imo. I think our backline should tonight be;

Alves
    Marquez
    Pique
    Cacares----

I know Cacares has failed to impress so far, but he is more defensively competent, so he may add a bit of oomph to the defense. He is also young, and needs to be given time to develop, he has played excellently for Uraguay, there is no reason to give up on him after only about 15 appearances.

Now for the drooling praises of a biased fan....
    The reintroduction of Iniesta has been excellent on the team imo. He really has EVERYTHING a midfielder needs to be world class, the only thing missing from his arsenal is goals, but if he adds that to his game anytime soon, he'll be a future Ballon D'or candidate. His passing is fantastic, maybe not as accurate at long ranges than Xavi, but his short-mid range through balls are as good as anybody on the planet atm. Also, his dribbling is second only to Messi in our team, people really need to take notice of how good his runs are.

Henry's goal scoring form has been the difference in a number of games recently, and his stats so far have been excellent. 20 goals and 7 assists in 33 appearances, better stats than the current world player of the year this season ;). Not bad for a past it 31 year old I guess. And considering he stated he wants to retire here, he'll be an excellent back up winger for when we get Ribery next year. Hahahaha.

Finally, I think Lionel Messi is actually unbelievable. Watching him against Lyon just reiterates how good he is in so many positions. He was everywhere at times, playing as an incisive winger, picking the ball up in midfield and distributing beautifully, scoring an absolutely breathtaking Maradonaesque goal and creating many chances with his excellent passing.

He really has it all, and I can see how Rijkaard was saying he may turn into a proper midfielder ala Kaka/ Gerrard one day, he has the pace, the passing ability, the dangerous runs, the finishing. I love Messi more now than I ever did Ronaldinho. 29 goals and 13 assists in 37 games, thats a direct contribution to 42 goals this season, and I can see him making at least another 10-15... It's a pity that his performances this season aren't being as hyped as Ronaldo's last season (he's been better imo), basically only because he doesn't play in the EPL. It's a shame.

I know Cacares has failed to impress so far, but he is more defensively competent, so he may add a bit of oomph to the defense. He is also young, and needs to be given time to develop, he has played excellently for Uraguay, there is no reason to give up on him after only about 15 appearances.

I agree somewhat. Think he has been utter rubbish and was expecting a lot more from a player who for €16 Million thought would have had more to show. Pique my opinion has been far better.

Sandro Rosell Set For Barcelona Presidency Campaign - Report
    Former Barcelona vice-president Sandro Rosell is looking to go one better as he eyes a return to the Camp Nou as the supremo.

Rosell left Barcelona amid controversy after a falling out with president Joan Laporta, and, according to Sport, he now has his mind set on replacing his former boss.

The Brazilian is believed to have been working on his project for a year, and has formed a team of 15 people with strong ties to the club. In addition, he is said to have reached verbal agreements with three unnamed star players to join him should he capture the presidency.

Rosell is famous for having contacts with a variety of star South American players due to his former work for Nike, and his departure is believed to be one of the main reasons behind Ronaldinho's exit.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/15/1156322/sandro-rosell-set-for-barcelona-presidency-campaign-report

Carles Puyol On Life, Leadership And Trophies At Barcelona,

Barcelona's club captain has revealed that he does not feel like a leader, but is keen to stay at Camp Nou for the rest of his career having led the club to success this term.

Carles Puyol has dedicated himself to Barcelona for the rest of his career and admitted that he does not see himself as captain material despite having the Camp Nou armband.

The Blaugrana skipper is confident that he can guide the club to success this term despite the fact that the pressure began to tell with the team's recent dip in form.

Having joined Barcelona at the age of 16, Puyol cannot envisage himself ever playing for another club, despite the numerous offers that he has had throughout his career.

"I never want to change teams and if they want me, I will stay here for many years," he told El Mundo.

For a player that is now synonymous with the Catalan senyera armband of the Barcelona captain, Puyol himself still feels that he is not the top dog of the side.

"I do not consider myself to be a leader in any aspect, that is the truth. I have simply played for this club for a long time and I have been very lucky," he continued.

"In school I was also captain of the football team, but I was never the class delegate or known for my style.

Barcelona suffered a slight blip in February when they were beaten by Atletico de Madrid and Espanyol, but Puyol thinks that the club is now back on track.

"The team is hungry for trophies and we are all working hard and with a great desire," he explained.

"Although Real Madrid have trimmed the lead that was 12 points, we have to continue to be positive and to have complete confidence."

Such is Puyol's dedication to the club and his desire to perform that he had to be told by the club's staff to slow down if he wanted to avoid burning out.

"I train a lot because I like to be at my best for games. Before I dedicated even more time to it, but the physical trainers have told me to slow down a little because it was not good," he added.

"I do not like to go out much, although it is good to disconnect and I like to read."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/15/1156551/carles-puyol-on-life-leadership-and-trophies-at-barcelona

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

"I think what we are doing at the moment is the closest thing to art. Our team works in the spirit of great musicians and great ballets. We will for a victory, but a victory for aesthetics"

Joan Laporta on how Barca are playing lately :)

Maybe its been posted already

Barcelona are scared of drawing Liverpool in the Champions League, says Johan Cruyff

Nou Camp legend Johan Cruyff revealed last night he was hugely impressed by the way the Red Machine crushed Real Madrid and Manchester United in the space of four days last week.

And the man who played for and managed the Spanish giants wants to avoid Rafa Benitez's side at all costs in Friday's quarter-finals draw.

Cruyff, who still acts as an advisor to Barca, said: "Against Madrid, Liverpool became a steamroller, and for sure, many of those who feared playing against Manchester United don't want to face Liverpool now.

"Because of the manner in which they demolished Madrid and then thrashed United, they are clearly the side who everyone will want to avoid in the draw for the Champions League.

"Barcelona can defeat any team, but I'm sure they've noticed Liverpool now. They were two convincing and prestigious victories, but each was different.

"Against Madrid, Liverpool went on the pitch to attack and press them. Against Manchester, they went shoulder to shoulder and the game finally turned their way thanks to one incident: Vidic's dismissal and the free-kick."

In the draw along with Liverpool, United and Barca are Bayern Munich, Porto, Villarreal, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Uefa president Michel Platini confirmed European football's governing body will do all it can to ensure Liverpool do not play their quarter-final second leg on April 15, the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/03/17/barcelona-are-scared-of-drawing-liverpool-in-the-champions-league-says-johan-cruyff-115875-21204488/

Absolute Bollox. I am sure anyone who watched last saturday would agree.

Catalan Ire As San Mames Referee Given Barcelona Date

Having been at the centre of controversy last week during Real Madrid's win against Athletic Bilbao, Cesar Muniz Fernandez has been rewarded with a game at Camp Nou on Sunday.

Troubled referee Cesar Muniz Fernandez will take charge of Barcelona's game against Malaga on Sunday only a week after his controversial display in Real Madrid's victory over Athletic Bilbao. The Catalan press have not been slow to voice their displeasure.

The matchday official has been given the Blaugrana's league match in Camp Nou and is set for a warm reception after he was adjudged to influenced events in San Mames in favour of the visitors.

But the Catalan press are outraged that he has been given Barcelona's match after showing, what they believe to be, bias towards Real Madrid.

"It is not only that he committed various and decisive errors in the game between the Basques and Madrilenians, it is also to do with the grave mistakes he made in filling in his report," Sport state.

"What he wrote was surreal as he denied making any mistakes for the first three goals.”

Barcelona have not done too badly under Muniz Fernandez this term. He has officiated two of their Copa del Rey games, which saw the Catalan outfit draw 0-0 with Espanyol and beat Real Mallorca 2-0.

Sport claims that Muniz Fernandez has had to be used due to the fact that four top flight referees have failed the league's fitness tests and are unavailable.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/18/1161691/catalan-ire-as-san-mames-referee-given-barcelona-date

And kicking up such a huge fuss over this ref isn't likely to influence him at all now? Talk about double standards. Malaga have no chance.

And kicking up such a huge fuss over this ref isn't likely to influence him at all now? Talk about double standards. Malaga have no chance.

Its a bloody disgrace. If that was England the ref would no doubt have been demoted a division for a couple of games given the crap he allowed and dealt. Also to add that Iker should have been disciplined by the FA for his bringing the game into disrepute for feigning injury and helping getting a player sent-off. Didnt Dida get disciplined by UEFA for feigning injury against Celtic a couple of seasons ago ?

Its a bloody disgrace. If that was England the ref would no doubt have been demoted a division for a couple of games given the crap he allowed and dealt.
    Yes well I'm sure he'll be more than obliging now if Barca need a couple of penalties or sending offs to go there way on Saturday,

Yes well I'm sure he'll be more than obliging now if Barca need a couple of penalties or sending offs to go there way on Saturday,

Ah Bollox. The refs are working against Barca like always. Lets not kid ourself's here. Madrid bias from Spanish referee's is welll documented going all the way back to the Franco days. They find themselves a mile behind Barca then find some very dodgy decisions go there way. The Basque keeper hit the nail on the head when he said after the match there was a conspiracy with the refs to help Real Madrid.

Ah Bollox. The refs are working against Barca like always. Lets not kid ourself's here. Madrid bias from Spanish referee's is welll documented going all the way back to the Franco days.
    Well documented by whom exactly? Barcelona have to have someone to blame when things go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yo,

Does anyone know what the theme song for FC Barcelona is? It's the song that they play at the start of each game, like Liverpool's You'll Never Walk Alone (by Gerry & The Pacemakers).

Kevin

Kevster wrote: »
    Yo,

Does anyone know what the theme song for FC Barcelona is? It's the song that they play at the start of each game, like Liverpool's You'll Never Walk Alone (by Gerry & The Pacemakers).

Kevin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055482408

• Advertisement
Advertisement