Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool to Extract and Interrogate Emails

Options
  • 26-08-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've been tasked with looking into the possibility of doing the following:
    • Getting an extract of all outgoing email for a period of a month
    • Scanning this data to identify emails sent to external mail sources that could potentially contain attachments or other data that should not have been sent out of the Organisation
    • Is there any good software available to perform a task such as this?
    • Are there any IT Security firms that would have a good deal of experience in similar work if we were to outsource

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Mr. G wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't aware that such a tool came with Exchange. I believe it may be Exchange 2010 in use here. Is the same tool still present?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Just as an FYI - at a minimum some notification of parsing the Emails + Attachments might be due to the senders due to the potential impact of such processing has on personal data.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't aware that such a tool came with Exchange. I believe it may be Exchange 2010 in use here. Is the same tool still present?

Yes. But Exchange 2010 isn't like 2013 where you have a web GUI, it's manageable on the server so you will nee to remote in.

Advertisement