Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reducing on-line shopping fraud via emails

Options
  • 21-08-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

I got a special Visa card, which I allocated for online shopping use. It has a low monthly expenditure limit - one that I can regulate for my online shopping needs - rather than using a real payment card when online.

The card issuer sent me an email within a few seconds of my online purchase on some website that I didn't know or have reason to trust, that EUR x had been authorized against the card, and that my remaining unused balance for the month was x EUR. It also advised their phone number and other contact info to stop the payment in the vent of fraud.

Emails are free. Why doesn't every bank offer the possibility of sending emails for non PIN transactions against the card, at the point of authorization - ie before money changes hands?

Advertisement