Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YIM am I being hacked??

Options
  • 15-08-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I have been having an issue with Yahoo Instant messaging whit quite some time. While using IM I often get booted out and a message comes up saying I have been logged out because I have logged in from another computer. I am aware that I can only be in YIM from one source at any time so I am careful to have logged out of my other devices (phone, tablet) and to keep them with me. I generally only use my laptop for YIM although I am set up on all devices ( which I keep in my room with me)

Is it common for this issue to happen spontaneously or am I being hacked? I don't have anything to hide but I have discussed some private issues relating to my childhood with a very close friend of mine and I don't want my business being common knowledge!

The thing is, my ex-husband still lives in our house, we are currently separating. He has admitted to having accessed my emails and texts on several occasions last year and this without my knowledge or permission. I have since changed passwords etc. Am I being paranoid in thinking that he may have asked a techie to hack my YIM? I dont think he would have the knowledge to do it himself. I use broadband but we live in the country, and it has happened when I have been alone in the house, and when he is there.

Advice please.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Change your Yahoo password for starters... if anyone else has access, they'll be booted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thisisme

THanks, Mr. E thing isn the first time it happened I changed passwords and after leaving my laptop in for repairs 2 months ago I changed them again. In the last 2 months I must have been booted out at least 10 times due to this issue.

I hope I am being paranoid and that it is a glitch in the YIM system. But I have this unsettling feeling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Install the free one of that ^^ update and run a FULL SCAN and see if it finds anything first.

Edit: Run it in Safe Mode if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe its nothing but its a lot of coincidences.

Do you only get kicked out when using the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭900913

Also remember to change the password recovery security questions to something that your ex wouldn't be able to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

900913 wrote: »
    Also remember to change the password recovery security questions to something that your ex wouldn't be able to answer.

Your ex, your Ma, your boss.

Some of those security questions are daft.

"What town did I grow up in?"

Grand if your from Bumsville, Idaho, not great if your from Dublin and everyone you know knows your from Dublin.

What year did I enter High School?"

A glance at your facebook page will tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very true. Same with dob maiden names pets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭900913

syklops wrote: »
    Your ex, your Ma, your boss.

Some of those security questions are daft.

"What town did I grow up in?"

Grand if your from Bumsville, Idaho, not great if your from Dublin and everyone you know knows your from Dublin.

What year did I enter High School?"

A glance at your facebook page will tell you that.

Back in 2008 Sarah Palin's Yahoo email was compromised using the password recovery function. You're right about the security questions being daft. Here's a list of the current default one's from Yahoo.

Set 1:
    In which city did you study abroad?
    What was your first holiday destination ever?
    Who was your date at your final school dance?
    Where did you spend your honeymoon?
    Where did you meet your spouse?
    What is your eldest cousin's name?
    What is your youngest child's nickname?
    What is your eldest child's nickname?
    What is the first name of your eldest niece?
    What is the first name of your eldest nephew?
    What is the first name of your favourite aunt?
    What is the first name of your favourite uncle?
    What town was your father born in?
    What town was your mother born in?

Set 2:
    What is the name of your very first Best Friend Forever?
    Who is your all-time favourite band?
    What is your all-time favourite song?
    What is the first name of the person you first kissed?
    What is the name of your first childhood crush?
    Who is your favorite author?
    What is the surname of the best man at your wedding?
    What is the surname of the maid of honour at your wedding?
    What is the name of your favorite book?
    What is the last name of your favorite musician?
    Who is your all-time favourite film character?
    What was the make of your first car?
    What was the make of your first motorcycle?
    What was your first pet's name?
    What is the name of your favourite sports team?
    Where did you spend your childhood summers?
    What was the last name of your favorite teacher?
    What was the last name of your best childhood friend?
    What was your favourite food as a child?
    What was the surname of your first boss?
    What is your favourite pastime?
    What is your main frequent flier number?
    What is the name of the street on which you grew up?
    Create your own question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

thisisme wrote: »
    I changed passwords and after leaving my laptop in for repairs 2 months ago I changed them again. In the last 2 months I must have been booted out at least 10 times due to this issue.
    What was wrong with the Laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thisisme

Brand new laptop, HP only a few weeks old and it over heated on recharge. I wasn't even using it at the time, just went to log in afterwards and got a system failure message. The Alt key came lose in this time also.

I have had the "you have been logged off, because you have logged in from another computer" message come up on my phone on occasions when both my laptop and tablet were powered off or were on sleep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement