Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 1994 Qualifying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

briany wrote: »
    We'll have to wait until it comes to pass that NI are competing at a major finals where ROI are not to really get an idea of the numbers.

We may be waiting a while........

Honestly I can't see it.

but like you said nobody can be sure till it happens and we may never know;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some match, all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That is one of my favourite ever goals:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dfx- wrote: »
    That is one of my favourite ever goals:D

It's stunning how shambolic the defence was, what the F**k were the three of them at.

28064212 wrote: »
    So unless you're in the habit of changing languages mid-sentence, it's Ireland

Or The Free State.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stovelid wrote: »
    Or The Free State.

That's only Northern Nationalists.

Mexico is another one.

It's stunning how shambolic the defence was, what the F**k were the three of them at.

I watched the game with some serious stone-faced Ireland fans and they didn't like when I just burst into laughter. It's a great moment, he's on his knees as he hits it straight at the defender in front of him, the keeper is trying to foul him and then it trickles in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I watched the game with some serious stone-faced Ireland fans and they didn't like when I just burst into laughter. It's a great moment, he's on his knees as he hits it straight at the defender in front of him, the keeper is trying to foul him and then it trickles in.

I was really disappointed when Stephen Ireland (Eire) got the winner in the 94th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think even at that stage of the group, the writing was on the wall for the Irish team so you really could only laugh because if you didn't, you'd cry. I laughed too but it was a laugh of exasperation and disbelief. It really highlights the effect a poor manager can have on a decent side as well and thank God those days are gone. For now at least.

Anyone remember the furore the following day on Liveline?

Was that the day Dear Leader wheeled out a cancer riddled, feeble old man to face the wrath of the Liveline Hordes?

Probably the lowest of a litany of low points for Dear Leader.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

There is a gentlemans agreement between the FA in England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland that they will not poach players from each country.

I mean look at all the out cry from Northern Ireland fans about players from the North going to declare for the Republic. They are complaining about all the money spent on them in youth football.

Look at the big one in England, the English FA spent money on a certain Welsh winger as he went to school in England and even played for England School boys, but because of the argeement he had to play for Wales.

Maybe one of the best footballers never to play in a World Cup

Ryan Giggs wasn't eligible to play for England.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/oct/06/theknowledge.sport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I think even at that stage of the group, the writing was on the wall for the Irish team so you really could only laugh because if you didn't, you'd cry. I laughed too but it was a laugh of exasperation and disbelief. It really highlights the effect a poor manager can have on a decent side as well and thank God those days are gone. For now at least.

Anyone remember the furore the following day on Liveline?

It was one of those moments for me that I was happy it happened. It was a nadir, the rubicon was crossed at that moment there was NO chance of Staunton keeping the job. For that it was a wonderful moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Staunton put Irish football back quite a bit.

Goes to show how good Trap is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Des wrote: »
    Was that the day Dear Leader wheeled out a cancer riddled, feeble old man to face the wrath of the Liveline Hordes?

http://pc.rte.ie/2007/pc/pod-v-080207-54m55s-liveline.mp3

thanks, but it was uncomfortable enough listening at the time

Absolutely disgraceful what that coward did to Robson that day.

Also the Bohs fans with a 'Delaney Out' banner at the game was put down to disgruntled Dundalk fans and Staunton claiming it was a good three points and that it'll be a tough place to go for the others.

There must be a match thread for the game here, I don't remember being around here at the time, must look for it.

Thanks for the link. God, Bobby really doesn't sound well, does he? Bad times for Irish football and for poor Bobby RIP.

He'd just had a stroke.

@dfx- Dear LEader also made Shels fans take down anti-FAI banners, and threatened us with fines for singing a certain song.

He bought Rovers supporters drinks in Belgrade!

/fingers in ears

Also the Bohs fans with a 'Delaney Out' banner at the game was put down to disgruntled Dundalk fans and Staunton claiming it was a good three points and that it'll be a tough place to go for the others.

There must be a match thread for the game here, I don't remember being around here at the time, must look for it.

Can't see an official, so to speak, one right off the bat but here's one to do with the game plus some vitriol about it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52746584

• Advertisement

Can't see an official, so to speak, one right off the bat but here's one to do with the game plus some vitriol about it.

I got some things pretty much spot on at the start of that thread :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The name of the country, as said in the Constitution?

What's "lol" about that, then?

I heartily lol in the general direction of the Constitution.

sound AND hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wow, how times have changed... people lamenting MC Shane as a disappointing omission :D

Didn't know Long featured as far back as then either.

Wow, how times have changed... people lamenting MC Shane as a disappointing omission :D

Didn't know Long featured as far back as then either.

Yep, back in the days when McShane was considered a hot prospect on the back of his performance against the Czechs just after the Cyprus debacle. Nowadays people lament him as a disappointing inclusion. I commend his effort but I am glad he's no longer in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Can someone help me bring what once was a pretty interesting thread back on topic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

DaveH wrote: »
    Can someone help me bring what once was a pretty interesting thread back on topic!!

No chance, unless your a proddie or catholic and give a **** about the north.

great thread before the celtic fans got at it.

DaveH wrote: »

the original thread idea/article was the defining career moments/tension/last chance saloon moments that the play-offs don't quite bring. Bodin, Ginola, Houllier, Kostadinov, McLoughlin, the Welsh team of Rush/Hughes, Letchkov, the influence of other games like Spain Denmark where the 'as it stands' table keeps moving..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No chance, unless your a proddie or catholic and give a **** about the north.

great thread before the celtic fans got at it.

Those darn Celtic fans. What did they do this time? I can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

One thing that nobody seems to understand about the San Marino game is that one of the opponents players had tragically died a few days before the match, there was no way they were not going to score in that game, their emotions were too raw, they done it for him... This was a big factor in that game, we got a different San Marino than usual.

Advertisement