Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noah - russell Crowe and Darren Aronofsky

• 24-07-2012 3:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭

not to mention ray Winestone, Anthony Hopkins and Emma Watson...

How are they going to make this a realistic/epic film do you think?

Just found out about it today. Could be very EVRY interesting with Aronofsky on board as writer and director.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Noah as in Noah and the Ark? Surely it can't be better than Evan Almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Noah as in Noah and the Ark? Surely it can't be better than Evan Almighty.

the definitive ark related movie surely :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

yeah, as in Noahs ark? Its surely going to be an absolute fail if they try and make it in anyway realistic.

Could make for some very epic storm scenes though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well they're building their own ark which should at least make for some serious scale.

darren-aronofsky-noah-2-570x427.jpg

At least Aronofsky has said it won't go all religious on us. Not exactly sure how that's going to work, but hey as long as it ain't a sermon.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

At least Aronofsky has said it won't go all religious on us. Not exactly sure how that's going to work, but hey as long as it ain't a sermon.

That would put me right off from the get go if it was. Is he known to be atheist or does he have religious leanings?

I have no problem with the film being made as it is a great wee story regardless of how silly it is. Could be fun.

EDIT: I just had a thought. I bet he tells the story of a mad man who builds the boat before, coincidently, some crazy flood/tsunami and in the end they come aground on the Galapagos islands... That'd wind a few people up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Boo Radley wrote: »
    That would put me right off from the get go if it was. Is he known to be atheist or does he have religious leanings?

I have no problem with the film being made as it is a great wee story regardless of how silly it is. Could be fun.

He has repeatedly stated that it's not going to be ultra-religious, although I'm not sure what Aronofsky's actual beliefs are (from what I've read, he isn't entirely hostile to such concerns). Some thoughts on the subject here: http://blogs.indiewire.com/anthony/will-aronofskys-noah-inflame-religious-right-and-court-environmentalists#

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

He has repeatedly stated that it's not going to be ultra-religious, although I'm not sure what Aronofsky's actual beliefs are (from what I've read, he isn't entirely hostile to such concerns). Some thoughts on the subject here: http://blogs.indiewire.com/anthony/will-aronofskys-noah-inflame-religious-right-and-court-environmentalists#

Cheers. An interesting read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

any links to whetre Aronofsky talks about it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

First pic of Crowe as Noah:

Russell-Crowe-Noah.jpg?1344614410

• Advertisement

If there's one thing that Aronofsky is good at it, it's getting the best out of his actors. I'm very much looking forward to this, as long as Crowe doesn't have a dodgy accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    First pic of Crowe as Noah:

Russell-Crowe-Noah.jpg?1344614410

Looks same as he was in Robin Hood to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Boo Radley wrote: »

Ahh nothing makes silly fun like genocide on a planetary scale;)

I wonder if it will show the part where Noah does not let the Dinosaurs onto the boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

One thing is for sure, religious people will flock to see this "documentary".

Jonny7 wrote: »

set in the year 4000BC or something crazy like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jonny7 wrote: »

Bishops love Sci-Fi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I just read that production on Noah has been delayed due to flooding. The irony ... :P

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

International trailer:

An Antipodean Noah, with an American wife, in a biblical epic ... I doubt that "realism" is on the agenda. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Saw the trailer earlier today and feel like I've seen most of the film. I expected a little more from Aronofsky but I suppose even he hasn't final say when it comes to marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ray Winstone - a very convincing cockney geezer, a very unconvincing anything else.

• Advertisement

Fightin' round the world!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching this, I realise I'm kind of sick of the brown, drab & dirty aesthetic that apparently is the fashion for films set in 'The Past' (be it a fictional or historical one). Not sure who got the ball rolling, but it seems like if the highest technology in a film is the bow & arrow, everyone has to look like they roll around in the mud. I wouldn't mind but things like indoor plumbing date back to the times of the Ancient Romans, so they weren't all that grubby :D Would be nice to see an ancient epic that looks clean and colourful - gone are the days of glorious technicolour epics it seems.

Anywhoo, not sure what to make of the trailer; I'm not particularly atheist, but it did rankle a little as I watched (yet another trailer that spoils too much); a Bible story, no matter how grubby and lo-fi it tries to be, isn't really something that'd interest me. I do wonder how it'll all go down in America, given the divisions between the religious and non-religious can be quite trenchant and polar at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 wet_dog

Saw the trailer earlier today and feel like I've seen most of the film. I expected a little more from Aronofsky but I suppose even he hasn't final say when it comes to marketing.
    I no longer watch trailers for films I'm already looking forward to. The Prometheus trailer, which spoiled the climactic moment of the film, was the last straw.

Sometimes I watch the trailers after I've seen the film, and so far I haven't been sorry I skipped them.

When you think about it, if you're already looking forward to the film, what is the point? Particularly when you can be absolutely certain that it will be spoilertastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

....the subject matter isn't really grabbing me.

But as it's Aronofsky, I'm sure it will be solid all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Finally got to see the trailer for this on my last visit to the cinema. It certainly has not convinced me to spend my money on seeing it. While a fan of RCs work I find his most recent films have been phoned in and this looks no different. Maybe I'll wait to rent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Looks same as he was in Robin Hood to me

Crowe had a tighter hair cut, a trimmed and not dischevelled beard and an all round leaner and younger look in Robin Hood. Can't say I see the comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Crowe had a tighter hair cut, a trimmed and not dischevelled beard and an all round leaner and younger look in Robin Hood. Can't say I see the comparison.

Same actor - obviously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Very strange film, I mean there's nothing wrong with a good auld Biblical epic it's just unusual to see such a big budget one being made today with a totally straight face/lack of bet-hedging (Passion of the Christ is the only one I can think of) I mean judging from that "You're alone" "No I'm not" exchange it's not going to be ambiguous about God doing this. It's a ballsy move really, sure it probably has a fairly sizeable US audience, but it might make all us godless Europeans a bit uncomfortable.

Looking forward to seeing it, nice to see Connelly and yer man reunited if nothing else, Anthony Hopkins looks to be doing his patented routine of combining phoning it in with eating the scenery though :/

I'm just going to approach it as a fantasy film, which it is let's be honest. The trailer didn't look great I have to say, but the fact Aronofsky is involved means I'm going to hold out hope that it's not entirely representative of the tone of the actual film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Apparently it's getting VERY mixed reviews even from the religious groups they gave previews to. There's some serious behind-the-scenes shenanigans going on. There'll be some kind of butchered version appear but I can't see this being the blockbuster they were hoping for.

I don't know. I'm very suspicious of this. I liked the look of it but, as daft as it sounds (What was I expecting from a "Noah" flick?), I lost all interest with all the talk of god and all the animals appearing. Just looked a bit silly. The bible-flicks have had their day and I can't see much of a market outside of the US for them.

I don't think we'll see Peter Jackson's version of The 10 Commandments any time soon.

The troll in me wants to see a big disclaimer at the bottom of the screen saying, "Some Christians actually believe this" like what South Park did with the Scientology mythology:

Actually, that's a tad more believeable than the story of Noah's Ark...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Apparently it's getting VERY mixed reviews even from the religious groups they gave previews to. There's some serious behind-the-scenes shenanigans going on. There'll be some kind of butchered version appear but I can't see this being the blockbuster they were hoping for.

I don't know. I'm very suspicious of this. I liked the look of it but, as daft as it sounds (What was I expecting from a "Noah" flick?), I lost all interest with all the talk of god and all the animals appearing. Just looked a bit silly. The bible-flicks have had their day and I can't see much of a market outside of the US for them.

I don't think we'll see Peter Jackson's version of The 10 Commandments any time soon.

That would be the longest film EVER. I used to like the religious epics as a kid, but I had the same reaction you did to all the god and the animals-go-marching, more of a reflection on me than the film and I don't know how else they could have played it but there you go. I can't see it being a blockbuster but I'd still be inclined to go give it a look, maybe I'll just get high off my ass first and go see it in 3D if that's an option (I can't swim so that'll add extra spice to the whole thing). They all just seem to be so earnest I'm kind of eager to enjoy it somehow on principle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 wet_dog

Aronofsky is an atheist (though not an annoying 'New Atheist'), so I don't think this was ever supposed to be a religious film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I couldn't watch it with sound but is the wiping out of the planets population glossed over by making them an evil army?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well any film which triggers the gag reflex of some the atheist types might nearly be worth watching, but I think I'll go with re-renting 'Evan Almighty'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If there's a lesbian scene with Jennifer Connolly and Emma Watson then I'll go see it. Otherwise I see no reason to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

If there's a lesbian scene with Jennifer Connolly and Emma Watson then I'll go see it. Otherwise I see no reason to.

Incest the decider for you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

Big biblical disaster movie. Just substitute rain for zombies.
    Should have been called world war N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

Big biblical disaster movie. Just substitute rain for zombies.
    Should have been called world war N.

• Advertisement

Incest the decider for you so.

Gotta repopulate the planet somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I can't wait for the Honest trailer for this film . Can you just imagine it *Trailer Voice* The heartwarming tale of one God's quest to exterminate humanity , Watch with incredulity as the founding member of Peoples Front of Jud... I mean for the Ethical Treatment of Animals(PETA) somehow manages to fit the entire biodiversity of the earth onto his boat , Watch aghast as under gods orders he repels anybody who attempts to board his boat to save themselves from the deluge. Sit dumbfounded at the thought that there are people that think that this actually happened but think superhero's & sci fi films are too far fetched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

and-then-god-said-noah-make-a-backup-i-need-to-format.jpg

The trailers just make me think it looks more like a Roland Emmerich movie than an Aronofsky one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

Russell Crowe is coming to town this weekend for a special screening of this movie.
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0325/604399-russell-crowe-bringing-noah-to-dublin/
    Hopefully nobody will ask him any questions he doesn't like as we know how he can fly off the handle from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

So is the screening for the public or?

lukin wrote: »
    Russell Crowe is coming to town this weekend for a special screening of this movie.
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0325/604399-russell-crowe-bringing-noah-to-dublin/
    Hopefully nobody will ask him any questions he doesn't like as we know how he can fly off the handle from time to time.

That's half the fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

"
    I can't wait for the Honest trailer for this film . Can you just imagine it *Trailer Voice* The heartwarming tale of one God's quest to exterminate humanity , Watch with incredulity as the founding member of Peoples Front of Jud... I mean for the Ethical Treatment of Animals(PETA) somehow manages to fit the entire biodiversity of the earth onto his boat , Watch aghast as under gods orders he repels anybody who attempts to board his boat to save themselves from the deluge. Sit dumbfounded at the thought that there are people that think that this actually happened but think superhero's & sci fi films are too far fetched.

The line and pause "We will need the wood........god forgive us we will need ALL THE WOOD"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

I don't expect this to be much good. Word is Russ only did it 'cause he needed the cash to pay off the missus from the divorce.

I can't wait to hear the discussions on this one :D

Noah is easily the most bat**** insane blockbuster released in a long time - a 125 million dollar epic with an arthouse, auteristic bent not usually seen in contemporary multiplexes. It often looks like a standard fantasy epic, but it's a much weirder, unhinged proposition than that.

There's much to like. Visually it's stunning, as is to be expected. It really gets across the vileness of Old Testament storytelling, with all its cruelty, violence and moral repugancy (rape, snake eating, mass murder, infanticide etc...) - there's a darkness and horror to it that is pretty much unheard of in biblical epics. This is most obvious in the fascinating portrayal of Noah himself - less your traditional action hero, and more a man driven to sheer delusion and violent obsession by the task handed to him. Up until a regrettably cheesy conclusion, it's unromantic and almost primal, and is far from a work of empty praise and faith. Indeed, it's even quite subversive in the way it tackles its spiritual aspects, much of it blown up to pure fantasy. Elsewhere, 'the creator' remains an ambiguous presence throughout, and there's a stunning creation sequence that suggests possibilities far outside a literal biblical reading. The film very unusually expends all its major spectacle and action by just after the halfway mark, and there are several sequences that are truly magnificent.

Of course, as soon as the CGI rock monsters / fallen angels show up in the opening minutes, you're also aware that it doesn't even come close to completely working. Its go-for-broke attitude is mostly admirable, although means plenty of moments of pure lunacy and ludicrousness. It's incredibly earnest and self-serious to the point of parody at times (a few lighthearted lines from Anthony Hopkins are the closest the film comes to cracking a joke). The family melodrama that becomes the film's focus is interesting at times, absolutely overblown at others. And oddly enough the animals themselves are rather wasted (they spend most of the running time in a coma), not helped by some iffy CGI.

That said, I find it hard to not be impressed by the film's sheer ambition and Aronofsky's commitment to his pretty unique vision (no wonder the studio tried to interfere). It's undoubtedly a flawed, uneven film, but it's also a Hollywood epic that defies tradition and attempts something bolder and more challenging, something that will infuriate as many as it impresses. And even if it isn't even close to perfect, I'd take an exception like Noah over any number of the bland, derivative norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I can't wait to hear the discussions on this one :D

Noah is easily the most bat**** insane blockbuster released in a long time - a 125 million dollar epic with an arthouse, auteristic bent not usually seen in contemporary multiplexes. It often looks like a standard fantasy epic, but it's a much weirder, unhinged proposition than that.

There's much to like. Visually it's stunning, as is to be expected. It really gets across the vileness of Old Testament storytelling, with all its cruelty, violence and moral repugancy (rape, snake eating, mass murder, infanticide etc...) - there's a darkness and horror to it that is pretty much unheard of in biblical epics. This is most obvious in the fascinating portrayal of Noah himself - less your traditional action hero, and more a man driven to sheer delusion and violent obsession by the task handed to him. Up until a regrettably cheesy conclusion, it's unromantic and almost primal, and is far from a work of empty praise and faith. Indeed, it's even quite subversive in the way it tackles its spiritual aspects, much of it blown up to pure fantasy. Elsewhere, 'the creator' remains an ambiguous presence throughout, and there's a stunning creation sequence that suggests possibilities far outside a literal biblical reading. The film very unusually expends all its major spectacle and action by just after the halfway mark, and there are several sequences that are truly magnificent.

Of course, as soon as the CGI rock monsters / fallen angels show up in the opening minutes, you're also aware that it doesn't even come close to completely working. Its go-for-broke attitude is mostly admirable, although means plenty of moments of pure lunacy and ludicrousness. It's incredibly earnest and self-serious to the point of parody at times (a few lighthearted lines from Anthony Hopkins are the closest the film comes to cracking a joke). The family melodrama that becomes the film's focus is interesting at times, absolutely overblown at others. And oddly enough the animals themselves are rather wasted (they spend most of the running time in a coma), not helped by some iffy CGI.

That said, I find it hard to not be impressed by the film's sheer ambition and Aronofsky's commitment to his pretty unique vision (no wonder the studio tried to interfere). It's undoubtedly a flawed, uneven film, but it's also a Hollywood epic that defies tradition and attempts something bolder and more challenging, something that will infuriate as many as it impresses. And even if it isn't even close to perfect, I'd take an exception like Noah over any number of the bland, derivative norm.

I like the idea that fundamentalists who try to use psudeoscience to explain such a flood can really have their version shown on screen in the way they wanted. They should be careful what they wish for.

As a myth, and one we can learn lessons from like any story

It's far easier to believe something if you don't see it in many way (as a stories works on the imagination and grow bigger and larger with every telling)

They would say it would be ridiculous that God, could grow a leg, back but curing cancer (because it's unseen), oh but of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement