Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andre 3000 to play Jimi Hendrix

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks like a textbook biopic, Andre 3000 certainly looks the part though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Andre certainly looks the part. Sounds like him too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Looks amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

was part of this filmed in Dublin as they had a shot of him walking down an alleyway in a paper that said that it was Dublin?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Skerries wrote: »
    was part of this filmed in Dublin as they had a shot of him walking down an alleyway in a paper that said that it was Dublin?

I thought most of it was filmed in Dublin but is set in London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Looks like a textbook biopic, Andre 3000 certainly looks the part though.

It's concentrating solely on his time in London though, not the usual childhood to superstar to downfall to redemption route that many music biopics follow.

Exteriors were mainly shot in Dublin I believe. 0:26 in the trailer is Dame Lane for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I should be excited about this, but I'm getting as fed up of biopics focusing on a period in someone's life as I am about sequels, prequels, reboots and remakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

it was yeah! the venue you see him playing in is the Olympia!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The fact that pretty much all the songs in the film are supposedly covers makes me doubtful about this. So it's going to be Andre 3000 doing Jimi Hendrix doing Muddy Waters or someone? Andre looks and sounds the part from that trailer, but I just don't know what a Hendrix movie is without original Hendrix music. Is this film going to make reference to the Monterey performance? If so, how is that going to work without songs like Foxy Lady and Purple Haze? If we don't see him writing his songs or performing them, I don't see how it's going to give any real insight into Hendrix's artistry.

The fact that pretty much all the songs in the film are supposedly covers makes me doubtful about this. So it's going to be Andre 3000 doing Jimi Hendrix doing Muddy Waters or someone?

Backbeat, a film about The Beatles did a decent job of telling their early days without having a single Beatles song in it.

Is this film going to make reference to the Monterey performance? If so, how is that going to work without songs like Foxy Lady and Purple Haze? If we don't see him writing his songs or performing them, I don't see how it's going to give any real insight into Hendrix's artistry.

It's about his time in London before he became huge so it won't have any of the big festival performances in it. It's about a specific time in his life as opposed to being about his life or career as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Well, supposedly the film is set between 1966 and 1967. Monterey took place in June of 1967 and Are You Experienced was recorded between the end of 1966 and the beginning of 1967 and was released in 1967. That would suggest that he probably wrote some of his biggest songs within the time frame that the film is focusing on. Are they just going to gloss over the writing and recording of these songs since they can't use the original music?

I dunno. I'm not too hopeful about this.

Well, supposedly the film is set between 1966 and 1967. Monterey took place in June of 1967 and Are You Experienced was recorded between the end of 1966 and the beginning of 1967 and was released in 1967. That would suggest that he probably wrote some of his biggest songs within the time frame that the film is focusing on. Are they just going to gloss over the writing and recording of these songs since they can't use the original music?

I didn't realise that it was going to cover '67 as well but I suppose they could use a number of covers from the Monterey set but the film might not include it at all. If it's about his relationships (and apparently shows him beating his girlfriend) then the recording and writing might be secondary.

Advertisement