Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at a New Smartphone

Options
  • 09-09-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on Meteor Bill Pay with a Samsung Galaxy Mini. Pay €30 a month for unlimited texts all networks and 1GB Data. This plan suits me perfect as I'm not a huge caller, however the phone does not! I'd love to stay on PAYG, but I think to get a decent smartphone (without paying a fortune), I'd need to move to Billpay!

I want a smartphone with more internal memory for apps, and more capacity in terms of what it can do as a smartphone. I had an iPhone 4 until I lost it on a night out :rolleyes:

I think I'd ideally like to stick with Android, as I'm much more accustomed to it now, and it can do a lot more than Apple when you get accustomed to it.

Just trying to figure out what the best phone/network would be? Ideally I'd LOVE the Galaxy S3, but all the plans out there seem to be expensive, with long contracts and a price to pay on the phone too.

I want to stick with an 18 month contract as I'm not sure if I'll be here past the 18 months (may emigrate). I was looking at the Galaxy S2 on Vodafone or Meteor. Any thoughts?

I'd work through between 1GB and 2GB of data a month. I'm mostly a texter (which is why the Vodafone My Way plan was so attractive as it offers unlimited texts to any network), and the rare minutes I would use would be to my family (all Vodafone) and close friends (Meteor).

Most of my friends have Viber and Whatsapp so it wouldn't be too big of a deal!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Get the S2, brilliant phone and not much different than the S3

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

S3 is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

S3 is the best

I know it is, but my OP states that the phone is extremely expensive on an 18month contract, and I'm not going to be here longer than 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'm in a similar position but my upgrade gives me the S3 for free

Read online that the screen isn't particularly bright, can anyone comment?

I'm using the Sony Arc at the mo, I like it but would like if it were more reliable. As in its great when it works but is a bit hit and miss as to whether it works.

Can't stand Apple and am set into the Android format now, but my missus has a Samsung, not sure what model, its old and cheap and complete pants.

Money not really an object if its worth it for performance, I like a good screen, speed, functionality, music, browsing, GPS etc. Facebook not an issue, nor Siri or any of that Sh*te

Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

HTC Sensation XE with Beats by Dre headphones is 40 euro a month for six months with 02. Some deal
    It has 1.5 ghz dual core processor which is top of the range
    1gb of ram
    16gb SD card with 2 GB onboard.
    I cant believe its this cheap on the 02 site unless theres a mistake. Its a top of the range phone. I have the phone and its awesome

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-sensation-xe-1038353/review

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Get the S2, brilliant phone and not much different than the S3

I'd go with this too. The S2 is a sweet phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I'd go with this too. The S2 is a sweet phone.

S2 is a class phone but XE is free on a 40 quid six month contract. Both have identical specs but XE has a faster dual core processor and free beat headphones. phone used to be 600 quid to buy on pre pay

S2 is 300 on a six month contract

areyawell wrote: »
    HTC Sensation XE with Beats by Dre headphones is 40 euro a month for six months with 02. Some deal
    It has 1.5 ghz dual core processor which is top of the range
    1gb of ram
    16gb SD card with 2 GB onboard.
    I cant believe its this cheap on the 02 site unless theres a mistake. Its a top of the range phone. I have the phone and its awesome

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-sensation-xe-1038353/review

The plans they offer aren't great for me though. The cheapest plan only offers 350MB of data, and I have no friends on O2. It would be Meteor or Vodafone for me in terms of Networks.

Great offer though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

areyawell wrote: »
    S2 is a class phone but XE is free on a 40 quid six month contract. Both have identical specs but XE has a faster dual core processor and free beat headphones. phone used to be 600 quid to buy on pre pay

S2 is 300 on a six month contract

Just checked it on O2 and you're right. I'd say the XE is a misprice there, as those 6 month contracts are usually crap value. If you like the XE (it's not my cup of tea design wise) then go for it now. €240 for the phone and 250 texts, 250 minutes and 350MBs data is a great deal. It's still €399 on prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

Hi Ah_Yeah,

I'm in an almost identical position as you.

Just wanted to know, did you make a decision on the smart phone?

• Advertisement

I decided to go with the White S2 with Meteor, it's €40 a month online, 400 mins 400 texts, 2GB of Data and free Meteor calls/texts. The phone is free on a 24 mth contract but I went with the 18 month and am paying €75 for the phone. Forgot my utility bill today so picking it up tomorrow :)

Advertisement