Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

We tent a lot, but with a baby on the way, we are (okay, I am, husband doesn't yet know) considering a campervan. I *think* it would suit us better than a caravan. We would have a tight budget and absolutely no clue of where to start.

So I was wondering what type of info I need to look for before deciding to go ahead or not. Is there anything in particular a newbie needs to consider before taking the plunge?

A few specific questions - is it legal to park up somewhere and spend the night in your camper, or must you always be on a site?

I assume campers have an extra battery or generator so if you are somewhere without power you still have your fridge, cooker etc?

Is it feasible for a total beginner to convert a mini bus or something, we'd have to hire someone to do the electrics etc but it might work out cheaper?

Finally, any first timer mistakes I should watch out for?

This is all very much in its infancy and would possibly be a year or so before we have one ready to go, but that's ok, we have the time. :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wild camping with a baby? Well we wouldn't wild camp with our 5 or 6 year old, but each to their own. Legally, it depends on the location.

There are swings and roundabouts with all options...

Caravan you obviously have to tow, so you're actual car comes into the equation in terms of what it will tow (the recommended is a maximum 80% of the car weight), but in terms of camping accommodation it will give you (much) more bang for your buck. You also have your car available when on site. Not that you can't move a campervan or motorhome, but it's more hassle than just hopping in the car and no issues finding somewhere to park it.

A small conversion (like a VW T5) gives you more flexibility and the option of using it more often as a daily driver and/or a day van more year round, but then the compromise is the camping. But with an awning, you can increase the space.

A coachbuilt motorhome is the most comfortable when you're away, but then the size of it isn't for everyone driving it, and it does inevitably get parked up for longer. If you're using it as a day van over winter for example you do have to think about where you're going to park it - not always as easy as you'd think.

In between would be a larger panel van conversion (like on a Renault Master) - and it is pretty much a compromise between a small "campervan" and a coach built "motorhome". I do know people that use them as a daily driver, but depends on your circumstances.

Doing your own conversion is doable, but it is time consuming. Not sure it'd suit a new baby in the house to be honest, although might be a good excuse :)

We've had a small campervan (a bay T2), but my wife found it too small with the children. Now they're a bit older, even she admits that it would probably work. We now have a 6 berth motorhome, which we both love when we're away, but it does annoy me a bit that it's parked up more than I'd like with weekends getting busy with the children’s activities. When discussing future options, we still can't decide really - it's not on the table at the moment yet anyway, but we swing between caravan, T5, motorhomes (of various sizes and layouts!).

Plenty of people camp with a baby, so don't necessarily rule that out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Is there anything in particular a newbie needs to consider before taking the plunge?
    Campers with less than 1.8m internal height may be almost impossible to insure!.

Is it legal to park up somewhere and spend the night in your camper, or must you always be on a site?
    Not sure on the legality but we've never encountered any difficulity wildcamping. There's even plenty of pubs etc that will let you stay if you spend a few bob there.

I assume campers have an extra battery or generator so if you are somewhere without power you still have your fridge, cooker etc?
    Cooker would generally be gas, fridges are usually "3way" Gas, 12v battery/altenator and normal plug in. Using a fridge from the batteries will empty them in no time. For a cheap altenative to a fridge you could consider a passive cooler, they stay cool for 3-5 days if you keep a bit of ice etc in them. We used this model in France last year and were getting 5 days cooling from a couple of euro of ice.http://charlescamping.ie/store/index.php/accessories/cooling/passive-cool-boxes/coleman-xtreme-36qt.html
    Cooker is generally gas, much more efficient.

Is it feasible for a total beginner to convert a mini bus or something, we'd have to hire someone to do the electrics etc but it might work out cheaper?
    Have a good read of this... http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vehicle-conversions.html#section7 The rules change weekly it seems and the standing height is back in. You may also be liable for VRT and will hacve to get a SQI to check.
    May be more expensive in the long run. If you want to put your own twist on things there is plenty of cheap vans out there already reg as campers that need renovation. You could buy during the winter and have it ready for next summer.

Finally, any first timer mistakes I should watch out for?
    I heard it said many times that your third camper is the best so expect loads! :)

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Wild camping with a baby? Well we wouldn't wild camp with our 5 or 6 year old

Why would you not wildcamp, safety or facilities?

We never encountered any problems wildcamping and our first baby, which is due in 2 weeks, will almost certainly be wildcamping with us next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kierjan

I would also be very interested in any info that some of the more seasoned campervanners could share. After spending 10 days travelling our beautiful west coast in a car and staying in B&Bs, we are really keen to buy a camper. We have lloked a lot on donedeal and adverts.ie but really are not sure what we are looking at/for. Ideally we would want more than a 2 berth, my husband would like it to have a shower, and we would both prefer an original camper, rather than a converted one. So my main questions are, is there any make/models that would be more/less reliable or have any common issues etc. and is there anything that we really should be looking for a camper to have, or anything besides rust and dampness/leak that we should be looking to avoid. We're not looking to spent a fortune, just a starter van really to see if we get the use from it and like it.
    TIA for any advice/opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Kierjan wrote: »
    I would also be very interested in any info that some of the more seasoned campervanners could share. After spending 10 days travelling our beautiful west coast in a car and staying in B&Bs, we are really keen to buy a camper. We have lloked a lot on donedeal and adverts.ie but really are not sure what we are looking at/for. Ideally we would want more than a 2 berth, my husband would like it to have a shower, and we would both prefer an original camper, rather than a converted one. So my main questions are, is there any make/models that would be more/less reliable or have any common issues etc. and is there anything that we really should be looking for a camper to have, or anything besides rust and dampness/leak that we should be looking to avoid. We're not looking to spent a fortune, just a starter van really to see if we get the use from it and like it.
    TIA for any advice/opinions.

Whats your budget, you'll get a lot of nights in a b&b for the cost of tax, insurance, diesel, maintenance, test and storage if you need it. From personal experience people buying 'to see if we get the use out of it' generally don't.

If you're not sure what you like I would urge you to physically look at lots of them and rent one out in september to try when the prices are lower.

In terms of purchasing you'll get a better deal in the run up to christmas and the new year when people are stuck for cash and tis pissing rain and freezing and the camper is looming large in the drive.

For just two people if you're going coachbuilt I would definitely try a fixed bed model.

• Advertisement

Thanks moodrator. We're looking at less than 10k of a budget, I've seem some coming in around 5-7k that I like the look of, but would have no clue beyond the aesthetics about what to look for. Will there be an issue with high mileage? Most seem to be left hand drive so we'll just have to get over that. I presume diesel is better that petrol? Any thing other obvious things?
    Do they need to be tested every year?
    I did a lot of camping and caravaning with my family during our summers and I'd love to have our own camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Moomat wrote: »
    Why would you not wildcamp, safety or facilities?

We never encountered any problems wildcamping and our first baby, which is due in 2 weeks, will almost certainly be wildcamping with us next year.
    Mainly down to the missus, tbh! But I'm still not sure I'd chance it with the children. That's wild camping in remote spots, rather than the "wild camping" of parking up with permission beside a pub or hotel.

Kierjan wrote: »
    Thanks moodrator. We're looking at less than 10k of a budget, I've seem some coming in around 5-7k that I like the look of, but would have no clue beyond the aesthetics about what to look for. Will there be an issue with high mileage? Most seem to be left hand drive so we'll just have to get over that. I presume diesel is better that petrol? Any thing other obvious things?
    Do they need to be tested every year?
    I did a lot of camping and caravaning with my family during our summers and I'd love to have our own camper.

At 5-7k you're probably talking about old vans, damp and rust will be a major issue as will parts availability for some models, e.g. fiat have stopped supplying a lot of parts for older models and jacked up the prices. VW is the easiest to get parts for as there is a massive global community and I wouldn't worry too much about high mileage. Merc are pretty good for parts availability, the old diesel engines are used in all sorts of machinery in varying sizes if you go to spain almost every tradesman is still driving a 70s/80s merc.

Anything over 10 years i an annual test. Diesel is definitely better than petrol for hauling around weight without breaking the bank.

Main thing is to do a proper test drive, and a full chassis inspection for major rust, drive the van through all speeds and full range of gears, look for smoke, hesitancy etc. Accellerating, braking, and driving in locked circles to check bushings, engine mounts, struts, strut bearings, ball joints,jack it up and check wheel bearings, driveshaft boots etc. Make sure to check every nook and cranny of the habitation area, check that everything works, cooker, fridge lighting, toilet flushing, sink taps working no errors on battery panel. Worth unzipping bushion covers to check for mould/mildew. Make sure all locks work, windows, blinds, make sure all the parts are there intact to put up lounge bed , ladder for over cab if its a coachbuilt. liff all cushions, mattresses, cupboards etc. Check tyres for perishing etc. etc. Its easy to miss a couple of grands worth of work needing to be done. In otherwords check everything :))

If you don't have a clue bring a mechanic, fariend, family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks for answering my questions. I'll bow out here as 5-7k is not doable for us. Maybe a trailer tent would be better for us. (we have a 2l to pull it so that shouldn't be an issue.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Whispered wrote: »
    Thanks for answering my questions. I'll bow out here as 5-7k is not doable for us. Maybe a trailer tent would be better for us. (we have a 2l to pull it so that shouldn't be an issue.)

Started with a tent over 30 years ago and progressed to a trailer tent after about 6 years. It worked very very well for about 15 years with growing children, Gave great flexibility.
    Have now moved onto motor home but would heartily recommend a trailer tent as a starter.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Mainly down to the missus, tbh! But I'm still not sure I'd chance it with the children. That's wild camping in remote spots, rather than the "wild camping" of parking up with permission beside a pub or hotel.

I agree, the missus can be a hard sell! We usually trust our instincts, if a place doesn't feel right we'd move on.

You can get a fine van for less than 5k. We recently bought a 99 transit, 4 berth and 4 seats, doe'd and ready to go for a little more than 2k. Granted, the interior needs renovating to meet our needs and I spent a good while sifting through cr@p to find a good Transit but there is some good ones out there.
    The van we had before this got sold for less than 3k, Transit again, didn't suit us anymore, needed some minor bodywork but was a high spec van and a couple of hundred euro would have it mint.

Thanks again moodrater. Spare parts wasn't something I'd have thought of. Also waiting a bit longer til November-ish is a good tip. Could suit us better financially. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

piuswal wrote: »
    Started with a tent over 30 years ago and progressed to a trailer tent after about 6 years. It worked very very well for about 15 years with growing children, Gave great flexibility.
    Have now moved onto motor home but would heartily recommend a trailer tent as a starter.

That's good to know. They look like they give the feel of camping with the comfort of an actual indoor area. :)
    Moomat wrote: »
    You can get a fine van for less than 5k. We recently bought a 99 transit, 4 berth and 4 seats, doe'd and ready to go for a little more than 2k. Granted, the interior needs renovating to meet our needs and I spent a good while sifting through cr@p to find a good Transit but there is some good ones out there.
    The van we had before this got sold for less than 3k, Transit again, didn't suit us anymore, needed some minor bodywork but was a high spec van and a couple of hundred euro would have it mint.

That's also good to know! Now I'm torn. I'd be thinking 2k would be our max budget but would be happy to spend that then a few weeks later spend a bit on renovating so long as there is nothing majorly wrong.

I'm torn now! Trailer tent probably has less to go wrong with it, camper is handier. Decisions to be made :)

That's good to know. They look like they give the feel of camping with the comfort of an actual indoor area. :)

That's also good to know! Now I'm torn. I'd be thinking 2k would be our max budget but would be happy to spend that then a few weeks later spend a bit on renovating so long as there is nothing majorly wrong.

I'm torn now! Trailer tent probably has less to go wrong with it, camper is handier. Decisions to be made :)

In Ireland I would only get a trailer tent if you have or have access to somewhere covered like a garage to clean/dry/air it out, you absolutely will end up folding it up filthy full of sand and soaking wet in a gale at some stage :pac: There are some very clever trailer tents available now the days of DON'T TOUCH THE TENT!!!!! are thankfully over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

moodrater wrote: »
    In Ireland I would only get a trailer tent if you have or have access to somewhere covered like a garage to clean/dry/air it out, you absolutely will end up folding it up filthy full of sand and soaking wet in a gale at some stage :pac: There are some very clever trailer tents available now the days of DON'T TOUCH THE TENT!!!!! are thankfully over.

This one I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

What model is that?

I stored my camper in my front garden over a number of years without any problem.

The key of course is to ensure everything is dry before closing it down, then opening it up occasionally to air it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

piuswal wrote: »
    What model is that?

I stored my camper in my front garden over a number of years without any problem.

The key of course is to ensure everything is dry before closing it down, then opening it up occasionally to air it etc.

That's an Opera trailer tent.

Advertisement