Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Campervanning

Options
  • 14-08-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    My mother has decided to rent a campervan which is something we have never done in our lives.
    Any tips on what to bring with us for our 4 day trip and my biggest question of all is we are starting in North Mayo and I think heading south would we need to plan a route and book camp sites?
    If planning a route is necessary any suggestions- sat leaving mayo back wednesday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

What equipment does the motorhome already come with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 astrababe

its a fiat ducato two berth we are getting it friday evening but I dont know much else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

astrababe wrote: »
    my biggest question of all is we are starting in North Mayo and I think heading south would we need to plan a route and book camp sites?

Depends on how far you want to go, if it just 4 days you probably don't want to spend too much time driving. Do you want town / pubs /activities or beach / nature. We've never booked a site in ireland and always been fit in (once on the owners front lawn lol) but then we'd avoid the really busy weekends in a place.

You'd want to find out if its already stocked otherwise you could spend the holiday looking for things like butter, milk, tea, coffee, cocoa, sugar, salt, pepper, ketchup, cooking oil, lighter, jam, honey, rice/pasta/noodles, biscuits, crackers, marshmallows if you're going to have a fire etc. etc.

Does it have folding chairs/table to sit out?

Forecast looks but but raingear and a warm jumper for the evenings is recommended plus small backpack for walking and water bottles.

Towels, swim gear, picnic blanket, extra changes of socks/ spare shoes in case its wet, deck of cards, does it have a first aid kit.

All depends on what you want, I know plenty that just go with a 6 pack/moka pot a change of underwear and eat / drink out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Apart from the obvious, tea, coffee, sugar, milk, wine etc. the nice thing about a camper is that you can take things that you MIGHT need. I always end up taking too many clothes, for example, because I've got the space. I also take a camping type chair but rarely use it because pubs/bars/cafes have their own:D.

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

A camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

A sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just get a strong cardboard box, or one of those folding plastic crates, and put in the basics from your kitchen presses. If you like curries or chilies, bring a few jars. That sort of thing. Some people like to use their own pillows or bedding, some don't care. A few books if you are a reader, and the weather turns nasty. Spare socks etc, for after the paddling/falling in or caught in a downpour. Cosy fleece or jumper. Best thing is to bring a friend..........:)

My wife believes that instead of a pre marriage course, couples should be sent off for a fortnight in a very small campervan, and if they are still talking at the end of it, get married...........

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    My wife believes that instead of a pre marriage course, couples should be sent off for a fortnight in a very small campervan, and if they are still talking at the end of it, get married...........

Lol, I'd know a lot of single ladies if that was the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

If you're planning on staying on an Irish campsite and using your own shower and power and toilet etc, be prepared for the most expensive parking space in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

pastense wrote: »
    If you're planning on staying on an Irish campsite and using your own shower and power and toilet etc, be prepared for the most expensive parking space in Europe.

Why would you stay in a campsite and use your own power and shower? Don't forget that campsites are a business too.

• Advertisement

*Kol* wrote: »
    Why would you stay in a campsite and use your own power and shower? Don't forget that campsites are a business too.

Maybe because there are no other places to park and because most campsites here levy a charge for electricity connection and a shower.
    Deciding to avoid these two extras leads to the most expensive parking in Europe.

Maybe because there are no other places to park and because most campsites here levy a charge for electricity connection and a shower.
    Deciding to avoid these two extras leads to the most expensive parking in Europe.

Whether they levy a charge for a shower and electricity is a moot point as they can include it in the basic charge anyway. Maybe Ireland is the most expensive place to park in Europe? I note you didn't reply on my point about how much it may cost to run a campsite for a year and how much they may need to charge here in Ireland to survive. Did you think about how much it would cost to park your car for 24 hours in a paid parking place? Would you get shower facilities or bathrooms included? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

You really need to head down to kerry and west cork

shamrock55 wrote: »
    You really need to head down to kerry and west cork

I was in Kerry and west Cork recently and enjoyed it a lot.

*Kol* wrote: »
    Whether they levy a charge for a shower and electricity is a moot point as they can include it in the basic charge anyway. Maybe Ireland is the most expensive place to park in Europe? I note you didn't reply on my point about how much it may cost to run a campsite for a year and how much they may need to charge here in Ireland to survive. Did you think about how much it would cost to park your car for 24 hours in a paid parking place? Would you get shower facilities or bathrooms included? I doubt it.
    I don't know how much it costs to run a campsite in Ireland but I do know that for similar facilities within Ireland the cost per night can vary between €16 and €30 per night for vehicle and 2 people.
    Just look at the Camping Ireland website to see how much extra a hook up and a shower can be, it's all there.
    Look I'm just making a point in response to the original question looking for some pointers on the subject.
    What I state are facts from a customers point of view and your questions to me are about things only known to campsite owners.
    In any case It's up to each individual what they're happy to pay.
    I do know one thing though, since the start of the economic downturn here in 2008 the cost of campsites has only gone one way and it's not the way most of their customers incomes have gone and that's either a business or a cartel, make up your own mind.

I don't know how much it costs to run a campsite in Ireland but I do know that for similar facilities within Ireland the cost per night can vary between €16 and €30 per night for vehicle and 2 people.
    Just look at the Camping Ireland website to see how much extra a hook up and a shower can be, it's all there.
    Look I'm just making a point in response to the original question looking for some pointers on the subject.
    What I state are facts from a customers point of view and your questions to me are about things only known to campsite owners.
    In any case It's up to each individual what they're happy to pay.
    I do know one thing though, since the start of the economic downturn here in 2008 the cost of campsites has only gone one way and it's not the way most of their customers incomes have gone and that's either a business or a cartel, make up your own mind.

You are commenting on the cost of "parking" but not taking into consideration the cost of providing these facilities. What you are prepared to pay may have no relation to these costs. What is the increase in campsite prices since 2008? It's hardly a cartel if the price varies from €16-30?

What in your opinion is a fair price to pay per night (or what are you happy to pay)?

since the start of the economic downturn here in 2008 the cost of campsites has only gone one way and it's not the way most of their customers incomes have gone

To be fair I can understand the prices going up with all the new red tape and rocketing insurance prices. They've probably all had to install massively expensive septic systems in the last few years. I asked the county engineer about setting up a small aire type facility and his back of a beer mat calculations were an eye opener. Say you have 5 spaces, theoretically you might have 5 7 berths so thats 35 people = x gallons per day = xxxx liter septic tank = €xxxxx. Then cheical waste would probably have to be seprate and you'd have to pay for disposal. A local charity here was charged €80,000 euro for a septic system for 30 people recently even though theres only 10 people in the building about 99% the year. You can imagine what it would be like for a large site with multiple toilet blocks. Then theres insurance and then rates. He reckoned the only feasible way to make some money would be to append your aire to a restaurant / pub with the facilities/road access/insurance etc already in place.

But when you look at what some site can provide for the money and still turn a profit its obvious when you're being taken for ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

within Ireland the cost per night can vary between €16 and €30 per night for vehicle and 2 people.

€16 a night for a vehicle and 2 people? That include showers and hookup? Where? I've yet to come across that price!

Since 2008 the popularity of camping has gone through the roof as it offers families a cheaper alternative to typical sun holidays. So with increased demand there will be increase prices, especially at peak time times. But not substantially increased prices. I don't think prices have rocketed that much in the last few years.

This thread seems to have detoured from the original request so,

Hi astrababe, I believe you were coming home to Mayo today? if you're still reading these posts please let us know how you got on, where you went and overall views on a campervan holiday.

Hope you had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 astrababe

Hi guys came back today from a holiday filled with adventure and laughter!
    Campervan holidays are some craic. Its certainly prob the best way to see the Irish countryside.

We hit Doolin on the first night and stayed in O'Connors campsite. They were so friendly and the location was ideal for a 5 min walk to the pubs.
    Tralee the 2nd and 3rd night (rose of tralee festival) and stayed in the Woodlands campsite. Lovely campsite and in a great location again. Took of to Dingle for a day trip and thought it was lovely.
    I have to say my mother and her forward thinking packed the Nespresso machine which came in very handy over the few days.
    I realised on day 2 that I really had nothing to worry about. It was all trial and error but alot of memories were made and sure isnt that all part of it.

My tips for fellow campers would be:
    -Dont take off for the day and not mark your plot, we made that mistake and came back to another camper in our place.
    -Time flies!!!
    -Bring a fold up chair or two or you will be left sitting in the door of the van.
    -Go and have fun and do your own thing....

I can really see why so many people love it.

Thank you all so much for all your input it was a massive help.

• Advertisement

Brilliant news.

Now perhaps we can look forward to seeing posts from you asking advice on buying your own camper? :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

astrababe wrote: »
    Hi guys came back today from a holiday filled with adventure and laughter!
    Campervan holidays are some craic. Its certainly prob the best way to see the Irish countryside.

We hit Doolin on the first night and stayed in O'Connors campsite. They were so friendly and the location was ideal for a 5 min walk to the pubs.
    Tralee the 2nd and 3rd night (rose of tralee festival) and stayed in the Woodlands campsite. Lovely campsite and in a great location again. Took of to Dingle for a day trip and thought it was lovely.
    I have to say my mother and her forward thinking packed the Nespresso machine which came in very handy over the few days.
    I realised on day 2 that I really had nothing to worry about. It was all trial and error but alot of memories were made and sure isnt that all part of it.

My tips for fellow campers would be:
    -Dont take off for the day and not mark your plot, we made that mistake and came back to another camper in our place.
    -Time flies!!!
    -Bring a fold up chair or two or you will be left sitting in the door of the van.
    -Go and have fun and do your own thing....

I can really see why so many people love it.

Thank you all so much for all your input it was a massive help.

Hi Astrababe ,
    Im delighted you and your Mam enjoyed your adventure in one of our campers .
    Great tips for other first-timers too .
    I think yer relaxed , laid back attitude was perfect for this type of holiday.
    To be honest , your enthusiasm on Friday evening reminded me of 2 kids heading away on their first ever sleepover , not sure what to expect but mad excited about the possibilities .
    It was a pleasure dealing with ye ,
    Thanks again for everything.
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

Advertisement