Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on offering of Argos codes in bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

I don't see why the re is a problem with the practise in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

people helping people.... good, sour grapes when one doesnt get what they want..... "lets shut boards.ie down"

if you would like something held for you do it yourself, if not, then ask politely in the BA forum perhaps someone may be able to help you out!? I see no issues here at all

But it's not really people helping people and there are no sour grapes on my part.
    It's comparable to being in a queue for a free item and the people ahead of you in the queue taking multiple items just for the sake of it and to give away to people who never bothered or tried to queue themselves at the time.

people helping people.... good, sour grapes when one doesnt get what they want..... "lets shut boards.ie down"

Also...who suggested shutting boards.ie down?? A tad sensationalised there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

WittyName1 wrote: »
    Also...who suggested shutting boards.ie down?? A tad sensationalised there.....

My point exactly....I exaggerated just like you did...anyways happy xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

keano25 wrote: »
    There's people offering Argos codes on items they've no intention of buying in bargain alerts.

If a poplar item becomes available people are block booking this item to get a pat on the back over in the bargain alert threads from other members.

I'm all for a bargain so I proposing a blanket ban on the offering of codes so that a bargain can genuinely go on a first come first served basis.

Thank you.

I hadn't noticed people block booking multiple items in the same location. You'd expect then to do this in busy locations of it was a drive for popularity.

I mainly saw people posting the odd code for singular items. I wasn't looking at it too closely. I often reserve multiple items which I end up not getting. Isn't that the nature of impulse buying. Not posted any codes though.

If someone is running a popularity contest on BA couldn't they simply be given a warning. They must stand out lot a sore thumb. Kinda an odd hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

Sure we had a lad trying to sell reservation codes about 2 days ago.

That was OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

That was OP

Taking the piss actually. Read the post again. If you can't see its a joke, well never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

Taking the piss actually. Read the post again. If you can't see its a joke, well never mind.

I never said it wasn't a joke, I was simply replying to the poster who brought it up, as it was unclear whether they knew it was a joke.

From the Argos Reservation Codes thread in Bargain Alerts :
    crayon80 wrote: »
    I reserved the JPG last week when I had no interest in the world in it because I knew someone here was bound to need that hard to get reservation. And they did.

People are clearly reserving items just so they can post the reservation code on boards.

What did the user get out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

WittyName1 wrote: »
    From the Argos Reservation Codes thread in Bargain Alerts :

People are clearly reserving items just so they can post the reservation code on boards.
    And again, so what?

beauf wrote: »
    What did the user get out of it?

A virtual high five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

From what I've seen of BA and codes, users are very generous giving out the codes when asked and regulars book codes simply to pass on to boardsies when then eventually log in- -1 from me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

A virtual high five.

So nothing then, so there's zero meaningful benefit at the end of the day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Davy wrote: »
    Does a stance need to be taken though?
    A lot of users are being helped by other users.

The Admins on Boards.ie have generally kept curtailing what users do on boards.ie to a minimum and for the most part only do so (in no particular order):

- When it impacts Boards.ie with possible legal issues
    - When it impacts public perception of Boards.ie
    - When it impacts the general usage of Boards.ie by/for it's userbase

If this is something that becomes prevalent, it is associated with the last 2 of those 3.

It's not a matter of users being helped by other users, when someone is posting here that they've reserved an item solely to provide the code to the first person that enquires here. All that does is stop someone who actually wanted it, from being able to get it directly.

So, as another poster alluded, Argos don't have anything implemented to prevent this and for the most part all you need is the code to tap in at a self service kiosk to purchase the reserved item. So why should this be something for boards to consider to take action on? I think there's a possibility that there can be an impact to public perception of Boards.ie as a result of the actions taken by users to reserve items and ring fence the codes with the main intent being to provide those codes to other Boards.ie users.

As it is now, this is more noticeable to other users here because we see it happening. The general public for the most part would be in the dark.

I honestly think this should not be how bargain alerts is used at all. Similar to how sales are regulated, there needs to be a reasonable expectation that the bargain alert offer posted is available to other users for how ever that retailer has the bargain set up. Limiting things to a trickle of reservation code handouts for any retailer, not just Argos alone does not provide this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

This issue is due in part to Argos having a 'weak' reservation system. What is to stop someone going onto the Argos website and when an item is in short supply (but they don't want to order immediately) for that person to reserve all the items using random phone numbers and email addresses and then wait a couple of days for the items to get back into stock and then reserve again for themselves.

Retailers having almost nonexistent stock for sale items is very common these days. It hardly a sale at all if there's no stock. It's just a marketing gimmick.

If boardsies are reserving dozens of the same item then it should be stamped out. But from a casual observer it looks like a the odd items. So why the fuss?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Over moderation comes to mind, hopefully it doesn't come to pass.

Why not create a poll on this? Can the OP add?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Perhaps we could put a note on the Reservations thread asking people not to reserve codes for the sole purpose of distribution on Boards and only offer codes they genuinely don't need any more. Or something along those lines.

I'm not in favour of completely banning the practice as I really don't see a problem with people passing on codes they no longer need. Even if it's true that there are some people reserving codes for a virtual pat on the back, I don't see why they should ruin it for everyone else and force a complete ban on it.

Personally I'm not prepared to over moderate it as I feel this is more of an Argos problem than ours and I don't think it's fair to start dishing out bans over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

are polls allowed in feedback never seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont see any issue here at all really

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I dont see any issue here at all really

Well,plenty do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

And WAY more don't, including the office of Boards.ie...

You're proposing Boardsies STOP helping other Boardsies out? "Virtual pat on the back" is the currency of our website. We build a community of people who look out for and care for each other with virtual pats on the back.

So we can put an end to this now, there is no way we're introducing so a rule for this, the idea is nonsense.

Dav wrote: »

You're proposing Boardsies STOP helping other Boardsies out? "Virtual pat on the back" is the currency of our website. We build a community of people who look out for and care for each other with virtual pats on the back.

So we can put an end to this now, there is no way we're introducing so a rule for this, the idea is nonsense.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion on this but calling a request by a boardsie 'nonsense' is a little disingenuous and not community spirited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

And calling for our members to be banned for helping each other out is about as anti-community a notion as I've ever heard. I'm not being even slightly disingenuous - it *is* nonsense. I can't even believe this was even a suggestion.

Dav wrote: »

Well we don't want to upset the hierarchy in the office.

BTW how do you know WAY more don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Every thread now for various bargains from argos is filled with people asking for reservation codes, total mess. Either put them in their own thread or don't allow them at all. No problem with people offering reservation codes (though still a bit weird that they snap up loads with no intention of using them themselves) I do have a problem with page upon page of "anyone got a code for" wherever the f*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Excellent, so now people snap up codes for wherever they can in the hope they can swap it for one they can actually use. How is this helpful for other users? Seems self serving to me.

• Advertisement

Every thread now for various bargains from argos is filled with people asking for reservation codes, total mess. Either put them in their own thread or don't allow them at all. No problem with people offering reservation codes (though still a bit weird that they snap up loads with no intention of using them themselves) I do have a problem with page upon page of "anyone got a code for" wherever the f*ck.

+1 Looking for codes in a bargains thread is really annoying.

I didn't subscribe to the thread to get 20 emails looking for codes.

Advertisement