Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touch site

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭shovel

Ah here lads. Ads are fine but come on.
    Three per page and the bloody size of them.
    I keep clicking on them while scrolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Ads are getting very annoying now with 3 per page .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I would've thought many more used touch? I'm surprised there has been no explanation through feedback about these ads blocking the flow of threads. Anyone here to give an explanation?

I notice if you click the x on each ad it gives a multiple choice as to why you don't think they work - no choice to say they don't, get rid. though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Hopefully DAV will pop in to explain on Monday.
    I'm just reading my followed threads mainly for the last couple of days. My eyes just can't take much more of the brightness. I never had a problem before and even clicked on the occasional ad I had no interest in just to support Boards.
    I've a feeling that downloads of Adblockers in Ireland will soar rapidly if they can't fix things fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Meh. The ads are grand. Just scroll past them.

• Advertisement

They are far from grand.

The first post at the top of this page is half the size of the ad that follows it.

In fairness lads, this must be a glitch.
    I've been offered everything from suitcases to language classes to an overnight stay in a hotel that is four minutes walk from my front door!
    A couple of good ones today were help getting a visa to Australia or somewhere followed by some footballer telling me I can make 10% profit by buying property*.

*I haven't clicked on the ad but that is what the last one seems to be trying to sell me.

I think some sort of explanation should be forthcoming DAV?

I'm not on Facebook so no.
    Normally when Boards make a major change (which this is) they post a thread/sticky explaining the reasons. I don't think they realise how off putting this is to mobile users.
    As I said earlier I had no problem with the old set up as it wasn't 'in your face' and would often click on the ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hey, I'm really sorry for the lack of response on this, we're looking into it today. We've also been investigating this chat bot pop-up thing that is either malware or a dodgy ad that's slipped into the network, we're not sure, but the ads in general are getting serious dev eyeball time to see what's happening. I'll have more news when I can, hopefully even this evening, but it might be tomorrow.

Cheers DAV. If it's any help I've noticed that the big square ones that take up the full width of the screen on my phone stay the same size on my tablet.

ie: They are approx 2 inches wide with no border so it's difficult to scroll on the phone without accidentally clicking on them.
    However, on the tablet they are still 2 inches wide but sit in the middle of the screen with plenty finger space each side to scroll so they are not a big problem (except there's too many of them).
    It's like they were designed/tested on a tablet but not looked at on a regular phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

They're called MPU's in the trade and have a 300 X 250 Pixel dimension, so if your phone's screen resolution is lower than your tablets, that would explain the different appearance.

Dav wrote: »
    They're called MPU's in the trade and have a 300 X 250 Pixel dimension, so if your phone's screen resolution is lower than your tablets, that would explain the different appearance.

Any updates on these ads Dav? Regarding the size for small screened mobile phones, the frequency of them and their efficacy? Personally I've only clicked on them in error and wouldn't support them - as I said earlier I would be more likely to view an ad if it was smaller, less obtrusive and more relevant.

^
    What he said.

They've been trying to get me to drink prune juice because it's good for me and the baby in my womb for the last couple if days. On the same page they want me to shave my head and go on a jogging holiday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can anyone answer on why search simply doesn't work on touch? It's not that it's not effective or could be improved, it simply doesn't work.

Search for the term hinterland on the touch site: 0 results
    Search for the term hinterland on the main site: 1095 results

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Can anyone answer on why search simply doesn't work on touch? It's not that it's not effective or could be improved, it simply doesn't work.

Search for the term hinterland on the touch site: 0 results
    Search for the term hinterland on the main site: 1095 results

This happens to me sometimes .
    Usually I keep searching and eventually I get results .

^
    What he said.

They've been trying to get me to drink prune juice because it's good for me and the baby in my womb for the last couple if days. On the same page they want me to shave my head and go on a jogging holiday.

Now ye are trying to sell me breast implants??
    Jesus guys, if ye are trying to spam us, at least use targeted advertising.

Pretzill wrote: »
    Any updates on these ads Dav? Regarding the size for small screened mobile phones, the frequency of them and their efficacy? Personally I've only clicked on them in error and wouldn't support them - as I said earlier I would be more likely to view an ad if it was smaller, less obtrusive and more relevant.

Asked two weeks ago? No updates or will we just havw to wait until next year?

I've WON!! a Free Forex Account this week.
    The profits will help pay for the hotel in the Middle East a few posts up.

Any update guys?

Advertisement