Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Gazing while running

Options
  • 17-04-2015 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

Some of you may be already aware but from our vantage point the International Space Station is currently visible for up to 5 minutes as it passes at high speed across the night sky.

Not every day you get to see a spacecraft and its speed alone really is something to behold. Definately worth having a look (and giving the kids a look too if that applies)

Worth timing a run to coincide with the view.
    Timetable below.

There is a very large star visible now to the West (the planet Jupiter I think). It will appear from that direction, usually just to its left at the times below.

IIS_schedule.jpg

It appears as a large star moving very fast but this is what it looks like through a good telescope or a very good pole vault:

IIS.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Great post, specially given the fine conditions...
    Install 'Distant Suns' on your phone and you'll know exactly what you're looking at each night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

demfad wrote: »
    There is a very large star visible now to the West (the planet Jupiter I think). It will appear from that direction, usually just to its left at the times below.

Its Venus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Apparently a commercial spaceship called the Dragon SpaceX has just docked on the IIS this morning. Amongst other things this space DHL type courier delivered the world's first espresso machine designed exclusively for astronauts!

Amazingly there might be someone sipping an espresso on that thing as you watch it hurling through space at unfathomable speeds!

BTW If youve a pair of binoculars you'll see a lot more (but not while running).

And thanks, Ill check out 'Distant Suns' later, and Ill stop telling people Venus is Jupiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I've always wanted to do a loop of Glendalough under full moon. I must check that box this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

demfad wrote: »
    Apparently a commercial spaceship called the Dragon SpaceX has just docked on the IIS this morning. Amongst other things this space DHL type courier delivered the world's first espresso machine designed exclusively for astronauts!

Amazingly there might be someone sipping an espresso on that thing as you watch it hurling through space at unfathomable speeds!

BTW If youve a pair of binoculars you'll see a lot more (but not while running).

And thanks, Ill check out 'Distant Suns' later, and Ill stop telling people Venus is Jupiter.

Yeah, had a great laugh with the local farmer last night telling him about the Dragon - it was 1 minute behind the ISS on last nights visible pass. He thought it was like the pizza delivery guy :)

Youd need a really good pair of bino's to see a lot more of the ISS but LIDL often do a pair of 10x50s for 20 euro or so that are really good for a bit of occasional amateur viewing, Ive seen plenty through mine. When you start going higher in magnification you end up with too much shake and youd need a tripod - which isnt useful for watching something moving like the ISS.

Venus is pretty much always the brightest object in our skies - excepting the moon obviously!

The one twinkling orange/white to the left and below Venus is Aldebaran.

Get yourself Stellarium - its long been my favourite Astronomy app - I have it on the ipad and it means I can hold the ipad up to whatever Im looking at and it orients itself to match my holding position so I can see the names of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Thanks for that, still pretty bright here in donegal but we saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Where in Donegal are you, Ed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Went out at 9, had a look around. Bloody clouds everywhere. Went back in.

Murph_D wrote: »

I live in Raphoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A couple of winters ago I used to love doing this at the end of my run. I would lie down beside one of those outdoor exercise machines with the soft rubber surface and do my core work. The clear nights would allow you to completely switch off and do a bit of stargazing. I had noticed a very bright star in the north west of the sky lately.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote:

Ed Mc wrote:
    I live in Raphoe.

should I be putting the kettle on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ha ha. Just curious. I spent a good bit of time in SW Donegal, a long way from where you are. It's a great county for running in. :)

I may never come close to the Earths marathon record but I'd have a fair chance at breaking the current Mars record.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3010177/Nasa-s-Opportunity-rover-completes-marathon-Mars-did-11-YEARS.html

Advertisement