Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Logo Avatars

Options
  • 27-03-2015 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with these?
    They're so big and ugly!
    Is every new member give it now by default?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I didn't mind the idea of them, but they are a bit jarring in reality. Definitely too big as you say. Think everyone new gets random coloured one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I didn't mind the idea of them, but they are a bit jarring in reality. Definitely too big as you say. Think everyone new gets random coloured one.

I've just been temporarily blinded by the flourescent lime green colour! :(

Could the colours of these new avatars at least be reviewed, the likes of the mustard yellow is grand, but anything flourescent is definitely jarring on the eyeball! :o

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Everyone should get the gay pride logo by default

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Everyone should get the gay pride logo by default

I love it. My posts are so colourful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Could we have a rule where everybody who posts in the AH Same Sex Marriage thread gets the Rainbow avatar? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Proud of mine :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I am not a fan of them being the default and seeing them on so many accounts. I think no avatar should be the default still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, it's a bit Brave New World we're all different but the same.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

yeah, it's a bit Brave New World we're all different but the same.
    you're all individuals!! :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

They're so big and ugly!
    Definitely too big as you say.

Funny ye should say that. Along their longest edge, they're 90px, the exact same as both of yours :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Funny ye should say that. Along their longest edge, they're 90px, the exact same as both of yours :p

True enough but one of the pictures has two types of panda's in it. So i feel if you have a panada boards avatar they will be acceptable :P.

I quite like them, nothing like a bit of personalized branding for the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Georgie.Girl

:( I love the boards logo...actually chose to display it as my re-reg name once... But, but, but, I am not fond of the avvies. Seeing so many mods with the same one, makes me feel as if I am not dealing with humans anymore, but a band of faceless masks. (sorry for saying)... This seems casts in stone though, so atleast I am thankful there is a bit of variety to them.

Sorry to ask, but, is this the direction all avvies are heading? ...not just mods? ...if so, I shall miss the distinct personalities shown with our old avvies... :( Regardless, thanks for the killer avvies you provided in the past - was fun to have such a large variety to choose from.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

:( I love the boards logo...actually chose to display it as my re-reg name once... But, but, but, I am not fond of the avvies. Seeing so many mods with the same one, makes me feel as if I am not dealing with humans anymore, but a band of faceless masks. (sorry for saying)... This seems casts in stone though, so atleast I am thankful there is a bit of variety to them.

Sorry to ask, but, is this the direction all avvies are heading? ...not just mods? ...if so, I shall miss the distinct personalities shown with our old avvies... :( Regardless, thanks for the killer avvies you provided in the past - was fun to have such a large variety to choose from.

No, this new set has a bit more importance to them as they're also being randomly assigned to new users. And they're a bit easier to see than the ancient tiny ones from nigh on 20 years ago.

Spear wrote: »
    No, this new set has a bit more importance to them as they're also being randomly assigned to new users. And they're a bit easier to see than the ancient tiny ones from nigh on 20 years ago.
    My apologies Spear, but I don't fully understand your meaning. Could you expand on this thought please? ....why exactly, is it happening, again?

The larger size is nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59,565 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Does a new user have no choice at all in relation to selecting their initial avatar? Does that change after a certain amount of time?

One thing that confused me about Boards, when I first joined, was that unlike many online forums, Boards had its own set of avatars that members had to choose from. The other forums I had been on (all VBulletins btw), offered anyone (even newbies) the option of choosing their own avatar, from the internet or their personal pics. The only requisite (besides propriety) was the size of image. Albeit, Boards is much larger than other forums, and such a limitless number of avatars may be difficult to regulate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My apologies Spear, but I don't fully understand your meaning. Could you expand on this thought please? ....why exactly, is it happening, again?

The larger size is nice :)

New signups are randomly assigned one of them from that new set, instead of having no avatar at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I think some people are afraid that the avatars they've already chosen will disappear. It's not clear whether this is true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

When you create a new account, if you don't specifically pick another Avatar, you get assigned one of the Boards ones.

It's common practice everywhere, Twitter gives you the eggs, Wordpress picks a random design from a list if you don't have a Gravatar account associated with your Wordpress Login, Google assigns a coloured square with your first name initial in it, etc.

The other Avatars are still there. We're considering allowing everyone to simply pick their own after they reach the 50 posts/10 days milestone.

Pick their own avatar, or pick their own Boards.ie Avatar Colour/pre-designated list?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pick their own avatar, or pick their own Boards.ie Avatar Colour/pre-designated list?

It reads like their own one entirely as I assume anyone can still just choose one of the pre set ones now (notwithstanding any possible limitations based on less than X posts or newer than Y date.)

But then that's one less incentive to Subscribe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But then that's one less incentive to Subscribe.
    Don't let that put you off, Baldy. It may never happen. ;)

Dades wrote: »
    Don't let that put you off, Baldy. It may never happen. ;)

I've been a recurring annual subscriber in the past, and taken the odd other month here and there too :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Is there anything to be said for mandatory José Mourinho avatars for everyone?

No? Another Mass then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm blessed as Cloud sent me an original png one about 14 years ago and when I said I wanted to put it on a T-Shirt.

I could probably start selling them.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any plans to add county colours or national flags?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Any plans to add county colours or national flags?

I've been working on a few, more to brush up my photoshop skills than anything else and have a batch of both here. Let me know what county/country colours you're looking for.

I am learning to enjoy the new boards avvies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

mike_ie wrote: »
    I've been working on a few, more to brush up my photoshop skills than anything else and have a batch of both here. Let me know what county/country colours you're looking for.

Personally, green above red for Mayo would be great.

I suspect they would be popular coming into the the GAA championship season.

One avator would cover several counties, eg. red and white for Cork, Tyrone, Derry, Louth.

Green and white for Limerick, Fermanagh, London.

Advertisement