Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good luck to the Ireland team at the IAU 24 Hour World Championships!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

aquinn wrote: »
    How did you get on then? Some challenge, well done.

I came 60th overall, 2nd Austrian / 1st Irishman, depending how you classify me. :)

Considering that I spent most of Thursday afternoon wrapped around a toilet and was close to tears during a hospital visit because I thought that almost 2 years of preparations had just gone straight out of the window just like that, I'm more than happy.

On the Irish team, both Eoin and John had serious stomach troubles, hence their rather modest totals. Steady Eddie kept going until the end but didn't have his best race either. All 3 of them have PBs better than mine and just because I finished ahead of them on this occasion won't make me think that I'm Ireland's best (male) 24 hours runner all of a sudden.

Brian and Don had a few troubles as well. Brian spent some time in the medical tent and Don had to take a couple of hours rest during the night. Both of them finished very strongly but obviously had not spent the entire 24 hours on their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I came 60th overall, 2nd Austrian / 1st Irishman, depending how you classify me. .
    5th placed german...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

*cough* *cough* :D

Make your mind up, Jonah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

On the Irish team, both Eoin and John had serious stomach troubles, hence their rather modest totals. Steady Eddie kept going until the end but didn't have his best race either.

Actually I had no stomach problems at all. I had an injury flare up after about 3 hours or so, which I managed to control very well for the following 6 hours or so, but then I starterd getting a second issue, no doubt caused by compensating for the first injury. That required a lot of intervention from the fantastic Irish support crew, who got me back out on the course again. Unfortunately I wasn't able to recover enough to properly get running again so I eventually had to come back in to the support crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I came 60th overall, 2nd Austrian / 1st Irishman, depending how you classify me. :)

Considering that I spent most of Thursday afternoon wrapped around a toilet and was close to tears during a hospital visit because I thought that almost 2 years of preparations had just gone straight out of the window just like that, I'm more than happy.

On the Irish team, both Eoin and John had serious stomach troubles, hence their rather modest totals. Steady Eddie kept going until the end but didn't have his best race either. All 3 of them have PBs better than mine and just because I finished ahead of them on this occasion won't make me think that I'm Ireland's best (male) 24 hours runner all of a sudden.

Brian and Don had a few troubles as well. Brian spent some time in the medical tent and Don had to take a couple of hours rest during the night. Both of them finished very strongly but obviously had not spent the entire 24 hours on their feet.

Sounds like ye all had a tough time out there. Congrats to ye all on doing this and doing so well.

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Actually I had no stomach problems at all. I had an injury flare up after about 3 hours or so, which I managed to control very well for the following 6 hours or so, but then I starterd getting a second issue, no doubt caused by compensating for the first injury. That required a lot of intervention from the fantastic Irish support crew, who got me back out on the course again. Unfortunately I wasn't able to recover enough to properly get running again so I eventually had to come back in to the support crew.

Apologies Enduro - for some reason I had it in my head that you had gotten similar stomach issues to myself but one day later, which would have buggered anyone's race.
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    5th placed german...:)

Ok, so. I was ...

60th in the World
    47th European
    5th German
    2nd Austrian
    1st Irish

I'm highly international, me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

60th in the World
    47th European
    5th German
    2nd Austrian
    1st Irish

I'm highly international, me! :)

Isn't Ruthann Irish? *cough cough* ;)

Well done Thomas, sounds like a very tough race with the heat and you came much closer to your PB than most.

Would you say you prefer the 2k loops or the 400m track loops?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Isn't Ruthann Irish? *cough cough* ;)

Well done Thomas, sounds like a very tough race with the heat and you came much closer to your PB than most.

Would you say you prefer the 2k loops or the 400m track loops?

Ruthann is as Irish as they come but that list is males only. Obviously! ;)

That 2k loop was much tougher than a 400m track; new world champion Florian Reus blames the ramp into the stadium we had to run up and down each time for the generally modest totals. Even something as small as 6 meters elevation does add up after a while.

Even without that ramp I think I'm mentally more suited to a 400m track. I find running on a small loop almost hypnotising - I just go into the zone and stay there. On Saturday I never really managed to tune out completely and there was much more mental effort involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

How do you mentally deal with races such as these?

Do you employ any sort of psychological tricks?

I would've thought something like a small ramp would be good, as it breaks the monotony. But seems to have opposite effect, it takes you out of the zone.

Great result.

Djoucer wrote: »
    How do you mentally deal with races such as these?

The mental side is the crucial bit. For some reason I seem to be able to handle it better than most, which is why I am a much better 24 hrs runners than for any other distance. I could not possibly hope to make an international team for any other race, even for 100k I am still miles off the pace but for 24 hrs I qualified comfortably with plenty to spare.
    Djoucer wrote:
    Do you employ any sort of psychological tricks?

Me? Not really, at least not consciously. I try to tune out and get into "the zone" but found that really hard on Saturday. One thing is, you cannot focus on the entire race so you just try to complete the present lap and not think ahead. Once that is done you focus entirely on the next single lap. So, maybe that is a psychological trick, alright.

Last year I read a book about self hypnosis that had been recommended by an (exceptionally good) ultra runner, but I could not get into that at all. That's not me. Basically, I just run until they tell me to stop.
    Djoucer wrote:
    I would've thought something like a small ramp would be good, as it breaks the monotony. But seems to have opposite effect, it takes you out of the zone.

Before the race I thought running up and down the ramp might actually help as it uses the legs muscles slightly differently, but eventually had to conclude that this was not the case.
    Djoucer wrote:
    Great result.

Thanks. :)

By the way, did anyone actually mention yet that we had two fires in the stadium (with smoke and smell and gloriously big fire engines and all) during the night and that the stadium itself was pitch dark for about 45 minutes (related to the first fire) and only lit by a couple of dozen people who happened to bring along headlamps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done to everyone involved. I'm in total awe of anyone who can run for 24 hours. I would struggle to say awake for that long! i just read that report that Ruthanne Sheehan wrote and was fascinated.
    The mental side is the crucial bit. For some reason I seem to be able to handle it better than most, which is why I am a much better 24 hrs runners than for any other distance. I could not possibly hope to make an international team for any other race, even for 100k I am still miles off the pace but for 24 hrs I qualified comfortably with plenty to spare.
    TFBubendorfer, i think this is what i find so interesting, how important the mental aspect of this kind of race is. Would it be right to say men and women can compete more equally? Also, it seems older people can outdo the youngsters in this kind of race.

Enduro, I think it was you who mentioned you ran the Wicklow way and ate only a jaffa cake! What, if anything do you eat during a 24 hour?

If you happen to have a lot of spare time on your hands and are desperate to fill it with something, you can have a look at my race report from Turin: http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2015/04/2015-24-hours-world-championships-turin_16.html

There are also entries dealing with the days before http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2015/04/2015-24-hours-world-championships-turin_15.html

and after the race http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2015/04/2015-24-hours-world-championships-turin.html

for the ones looking for a cure to insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

If you happen to have a lot of spare time on your hands and are desperate to fill it with something, you can have a look at my race report from Turin: http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2015/04/2015-24-hours-world-championships-turin_16.html

There are also entries dealing with the days before http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2015/04/2015-24-hours-world-championships-turin_15.html

and after the race http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2015/04/2015-24-hours-world-championships-turin.html

Thanks for posting that up. What a read and OMFG congratulations. That is brilliant. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 George Chinaglia

Seconded. Brilliant race report but more importantly phenomenal performance. Huge congratulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Wow that's some achievement Thomas. Mind boggling...
    Congratulations! A lot of drama too with the illness beforehand and the fire in the stadium!!! Do you think the sickness in the days leading up to it affected your performance a lot on the day or had you recovered fully?

How is the recovery going since the race? When will you run again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

What a super achievement and great write-up. Unreal !

chickey2 wrote: »
    TFBubendorfer, i think this is what i find so interesting, how important the mental aspect of this kind of race is. Would it be right to say men and women can compete more equally? Also, it seems older people can outdo the youngsters in this kind of race.

Basic speed is not important in a 24 hrs, so older runners are often still able to run impressive performances. At the same time, it's not that unusual for a woman to win an ultra outright, and right now there are very few men in Ireland who can challenge Ruthann Sheahan.

On the other hand, the best runners still tend to be males in their 20s or early 30s. E.g. new world champion Florian Reus is a student. The field might be slightly more even but clearly not completely so.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Do you think the sickness in the days leading up to it affected your performance a lot on the day or had you recovered fully?

How is the recovery going since the race? When will you run again?

I think in the end it had no effect but it sure was a close call. Recovery is quite slow. I've been a bit sick since the race and am only just getting better. The legs are still sore! I'll probably run when the missus throws me out of the house - after the last race that only took 10 days :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Huge congratulations TFBubendorfer, fantastic achievement! Great reports but...I think you have to change your blog title now ;)

Advertisement